PDA

View Full Version : Blackwell's football story just for laughs

thedrifter
07-28-06, 08:26 AM
Election 2006: Ohio governor
Blackwell's football story just for laughs
His campaign says the tale is meant as a joke, but Democrats question his trustworthiness.

By Laura A. Bischoff

Staff Writer

COLUMBUS — If you've heard Republican J. Kenneth Blackwell speak on the campaign trail, there's a good chance you've heard this story about his college football game for Xavier University against the Quantico Marines in 1969.

It's one of his favorites and always gets a good laugh.

But it isn't entirely true.

As Blackwell tells it, he took a hit in the chin from a 240-pound Marine fullback, was knocked out momentarily, then was rushed to Good Samaritan Hospital for head X-rays. Blackwell says he returned to the game for the fourth quarter.

"We won that game 7-6," Blackwell told a group of university officials earlier this year. "The next day, The Cincinnati Enquirer, the newspaper of record in my hometown, gave me the most substantial headline of my athletic career. In bold print for my dear mom to read, the headline read: 'Blackwell head X-rays show nothing.' "

First off, Xavier won the game 9-7 that year. Secondly, the Enquirer's only headline about the game was: "XU Zaps Quantico for 1st Win, 9-7."

In the story, Blackwell's mishap and hospital trip aren't even mentioned for his dear mom or anyone else to read.

When told there is no such headline, Blackwell spokesman Carlo LoParo said, "It's a light-hearted self-deprecating joke. ... I think the audiences understand it was a joke. That's why they laugh."

Not surprisingly, the campaign of Democrat Ted Strickland, Blackwell's opponent for governor, takes it a little more seriously.

Spokesman Keith Dailey said, "There's been a series of questionable statements and comments out of the Blackwell campaign that has led many Ohioans to question if they can trust what Ken Blackwell says."

Contact this reporter at (614) 224-1624 or lbischoff@DaytonDailyNews.com.

Ellie