PDA

View Full Version : Marines, families remember the brave

thedrifter
07-27-06, 07:59 AM
AURORA, Colo. (July 26, 2006) -- When Jane Rund’s son joined the Marine Corps, she knew he would be committed to his country during his service, and maybe even receive awards during his tour in Iraq. But mostly, she was just hoping he’d make it home to accept them.

Rund’s son, Lance Cpl. Gregory P. Rund, was awarded the Bronze Star with combat ‘V’ for his actions with 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines on Dec. 11, 2004.

Unfortunately, he never made it home to receive it.

Lance Corporal Rund died from enemy fire while placing his own safety on the line to delay enemy pursuit, allowing his fire team to live on. Jane Rund will never forget her son, and neither will the Marine Corps.

“My greatest fear when my son was killed was that people would forget about him,” said Rund, a Littleton native.

Ten local Marines, including Rund, and one Navy SEAL, who lost their lives serving their country over the last few years, were celebrated July 22 at a ceremony honoring the servicemembers from Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota and Nevada.

The event was held at the Radisson Hotel in Aurora, where 10 full mounted sets of medals were given to the families.

The ceremony was titled, “Remembering the Brave.”

Three posthumous awards, a Silver Star with combat ‘V’, a Purple Heart, and a Navy and Marine Corps Commendation with combat ‘V’, were given to the families along with Military Order of the Purple Heart plaques.

The families sat and listened to each award citation, which detailed the events and courage that let to their sons’ death.

This is the second year the ceremony has brought together the families of fallen Marines from Colorado and its surrounding states. The Remembering the Brave Foundation, a non-profit, all volunteer organization, hosts the event thanks to the contributions from its members and sponsors.

This is the second “Remembering the Brave” ceremony for Jo Burns, who lost her son, Lance Cpl. Kyle Burns, on Nov. 11, 2004, after he was ambushed by insurgent force in Iraq.

“You can’t describe it,” said Burns, a resident of Laramie, Wy. “I’ve heard ‘Once a Marine, always a Marine,’ I just never believed it until now.”

The event is something that the members of the organization, and the parents, would like to see held nation-wide.

“This is what should be done,” said Terry Cooper, mother of Lance Cpl. Thomas Slocum, the first Colorado Marine to be killed in Operation Iraqi Freedom. “We never want our sons and daughters to be forgotten. This is part of the healing process, it should be done locally all over the country.”

Before the ceremony, the uniforms and ribbons of the 11 servicemembers were on display for families, friends and event sponsors to pay tribute and recall memories.

“The Marine Corps was a good thing for Kyle,” said Jo Burns. “There’s a bond (with the other families); it doesn’t make the loss better, it just makes it bearable.”

As CWO-2 Chris Campbell, a sponsor of the ceremony, placed ribbons on Lance Cpl. Rund’s uniform, his mother broke into tears.

“I’m sorry,” said Rund, as she took a few moments of silence. “That’s my son.”

“It’s very difficult,” said Campbell, a special projects officer for Marine Air Control Squadron-23 located on Buckley Air Force Base. “The community needs to carry (the remembrance) on.”

This community effort is an action that MACS-23 commanding officer Maj. Steve Beck started with Betty Welke of Rapid City, S.D., who lost her son Lance Cpl. Joseph Welke on Nov. 20, 2004.

“This is as good as it gets in America for taking care of Marine’s families,” said Frank Bales, a member of the Marine Corps Association and attendee of the event.

Colorado Lt. Gov. Jane Norton gave the opening remarks, and Medal of Honor recipient Michael Thornton was the keynote speaker. Also in attendance were Congressman Mark Udall and State Treasurer Mike Coffman.

“When our son died, his unit told us that even though we lost him, we had some 270,000 Marines left,” said Stan Cooper, stepfather of Lance Cpl. Slocum and resident of Thornton. “At the time I thought, ‘yeah right,’ but it was true.”

Ellie