PDA

View Full Version : Beruit Era Marines

Froc2531
07-21-06, 02:27 AM
Would like to know how many Marines out there served in the USMC during the 1983 attack on the Marine barracks in Beruit. Where were you when it happened? I was with 4th Amphib Asslt Bn in Jacksonville, Florida. I remember that day like it was yesterday. The recent fighting has really triggered my memory and the fallen in Beruit are not forgotten.

Semper Fi
USMC 1982-1985
2nd Bn F Co Parris Island SC
Froc 2531, Mcces Mcagcc 29 Palms, Ca
8th Tanks Co c, Tallahassee, Fl
4th amphib asslt bn Jax, fl

Maritime Prepositioning Ships between 1986-1995, including Korea, Honduras and Desert Storm, other worldwide locations working Marine Corps contract.

CAS3
07-21-06, 04:32 AM
I have a really good friend who was there and he goes thru some rough days thinking about it.

Phantom Blooper
07-21-06, 05:55 AM
When was I in Beirut? "Today,when my dogs hit the deck and I craw ed from the rack."

Beirut,Lebanon 05/83-11/83 C1/8 1st Plt., Plt. Guide :evilgrin:

Kegler300
07-21-06, 06:24 AM
I was with LFTCPac in San Diego at the time. Lost a good friend in the bombing - Sgt Val Lewis (RIP).

MIKECHRY
07-21-06, 06:41 AM
Mwwu-3, Yuma, Az, Lost Good Friends There

fontman
07-21-06, 07:40 AM
I was attending a Navy Birthday Ball in Washington, D.C.

Got home in the wee hours of the morning and received a phone call from the Marine Corps Command Center (as I was a member of Operations Division, PP&O) to get my arse into work.

Helped man the phone lines for the following three days...

CplCrotty
07-21-06, 07:58 AM
I was at my MOS school at Lackland AFB for military police. I will never forget the memorial service the Marine detachment held that evening. For me that was the true beginning of the current War on Terror.

fontman
07-21-06, 07:35 PM
I forgot to append this to my prior post.

After I retired in 1990 as a master sergeant of Marines, and subsequently dropped my seabag here in J-Action-Ville, N.C., I found "at-that-time" an humble IMHO website to honor our fallen brothers.

So, being the nice guy I am, I revamped the entire site for its owner, Ed Lamica, a retired chief petty officer in the Navy. I did that out of respect for the heroes. They deserve no less...

You can view my "free-gratis" contribution by clicking >>> http://www.beirut-documentary.org/

criggleman
07-21-06, 07:57 PM
I was at my post when the building blew, I saw the explosion and was on the reactionary force , I was one of the first marines at the site. Time for ALOT of pay back !!!:mad:

wsimkins
07-23-06, 12:50 PM
I was at CLNC preparing for deployment to the med.

Darkestblend
07-25-06, 03:24 PM
At that time i was a young and impressionable PFC....Stirring shyters and Purifying water Near the beiruit Airport.when that bomb went i remember vividly how impressed i was with those Seabees. Hardcore yall!

msdaly59
07-31-06, 12:49 PM
I was a Series Commander at 1st Bn RTR Parris Island.

A lot that's happening today is just unfinished business from our time 20+ years ago.

bobpage
07-31-06, 02:42 PM
I was in ITS....was graduated, and taken accross the gravel parking lot at Geiger to become a replacement in sub-unit 1/8. Interesting place for an 18 year old PFC to cut his teeth. My company (Wpns) was hit hard. Lot's of good Marines taught me a thing or two about war and life. Paid off later.

:flag:

rnjax2002
08-02-06, 08:38 AM
I was a huey/cobra crew chief at the airport, damn near knocked me out of the rack. The next few hours and days are some that I will never forget.

mamakin
08-02-06, 05:05 PM
I was on my way to Grenada when we got word, I used to sleep under that building my first tour over there in 82. Damn ragheads killed my brothers back then and now they kill my brother firefighters in New York, death to them all!

Parris Island 3057

lifer1369
08-13-06, 07:43 AM
On a float across the atlandtic from norway; off coast of Spain, half the ships went east and the other went to J'ville to off load @ moorehead city. Lost some outstanding great friends that day...Every time they (bad guys)do this, we pull back with out wasting some of there blood...Shame on us for not allowing the sentrys' to have ammo... JUST ONCE ( we need to be seen and heard putting it to them as they have done to us!)((RIP WALLS, miss ya)

Kirkpatrick
08-30-06, 02:58 PM
I too was on float, USS Juno. I think we were on the way to Subic Bay. As many other fellow Marines, I lost a few friends that day. Our Co called all of us into the berthing area and had the casualty list available.

I certainly was cheering on Isreal during their campaign.

Kegler300
08-30-06, 03:48 PM
Do you mean, USS Juneau (LPD-9)? I spent about 3 months about the Juneau back in 1976.

sgt.lane
08-30-06, 04:05 PM
On the "rock" Camp Schwab, lost two guys I went to boot with.

Kirkpatrick
08-30-06, 04:20 PM
The USS Juneau is correct, it's been a long time.....

BMATT
09-12-06, 02:06 AM
I too was on my way to the 'root after securing Grenada, I was
with 2/8 Wpns. Co. 0351.........oohfrickin'rah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
And I spent 9 days at Ground Zero looking for casualties and
collecting evidence, MAY WE NEVER FORGET!!!

Sgt Leprechaun
09-24-06, 03:01 PM
I was at Marine Barracks, Annapolis Md...and helped to bury some of my buddies from Recruit Training...I had put in so many AA forms to go to Lejeune that my 1stSgt told me the next one he saw with my name on it, it was 30 days of 'day on stay on' at 'Post 3' (Guarding radio towers)..because if he (the 1stSgt) couldn't go, I couldn't go either.

BOOGIEMAN44
09-24-06, 04:43 PM
2nd Blt. 3rd Mar. Getting Ready For My Frist West Pac.

Jojosdad
09-27-06, 11:28 PM
I'd have to say any Marine who was on active duty on that fateful day remembers where he or she was when they got the news.
I was at MCAS Beaufort serving with H&HS Motor T.
To this day,every year, on October 23rd , I pay tribute to my comrades who gave their lives.

Semper Fi
T.D.Longworth
Sgt. of Marines
1/78 to 12/88

DC Jim
10-09-06, 07:07 AM
I was stationed at 7th Motors Camp Pendleton, and in my 2nd day of a CAX at 29 Palms, supporting an Arty unit from Lejeune, that happened to be the 1st arty unit deployed to Beruit prior to the bombing. The CAX was terminated, and our entire unit(deployed) was sent to mainside to base legal for updated to our wills, and power of atty's., and to the aid station for any shots needed for overseas deployment. The Commandant, Assist. Commandant, and Sec. of the Navy, all came out to the Stumps to evaluate and decide which units would be sent to Beruit as replacements for those lost. In an 11th hour decision they decided that a unit currently at Lejeune would be sent over. My Plt.Sgt, SSGT Steve Ewing from Findley Oh. was a Vietnam vet, and he did a great job of calming down all the boots in our platoon, including myself. By the end of that 1st day we all wanted to go, and we felt let down that someone else was going instead of us. But Duty calls, and the Corps decides what duty is.
DC Jim

LivinSoFree
10-09-06, 01:05 PM
Phatom Blooper- did you know a Doc Hacala (HM3 at the time)?

double b
10-09-06, 02:21 PM
on float 24 mau se asia at the time.

marine0351
10-15-06, 05:33 AM
:usmc: I was in okinawa at the time of the bombing , i too lost several close friends that i helped to train at marine barracks duty in s.c. at charleston.. many of us at oki. was wanting to leave there and go and get even with them. but they locked us down and wasn't taking any chances on us.. i was lucky; enough to be assign to hq at lejeune when the memorial was created and erected.. i was proud of them then and still proud of them now.. and many years later as a member of the ky national guards i was in a gp med tent and just my luck a raghead was put inmy tent with me from lebinon, will for him life just became unbearable. he didn't want to stay in the tent with me , especially seeing a metchate at his neck when he woke up.. to all my brothers and sisters, and their families. semper fi and god bless you all.

wmward64
11-12-06, 03:17 PM
i was heading to lebanon, when grenda took my regiment to a diffrent course, i feel that fate passed me that day, and grieve for all those that had fallen, they choose to help, and this is how they were re-payed, i wished reagan would have let our troops do what they did best, but that was along time ago, but will never be forgotten:flag: