PDA

View Full Version : Linguistics

jackson07
07-20-06, 10:45 AM
Good day Marines,
Could someone please give me the general pipeline for someone enlisting into the 26 MOS Field (Linguistics)? I have tried to search google and ask my recruiter but he is unsure. So if someone could tell me the basic pipeline that would be great.

Thank you.

Korling
07-20-06, 12:28 PM
Good day Marines,
Could someone please give me the general pipeline for someone enlisting into the 26 MOS Field (Linguistics)? I have tried to search google and ask my recruiter but he is unsure. So if someone could tell me the basic pipeline that would be great.

Thank you.

Boot Camp...Earn the Title!

Defense Language Institute at Monterey, CA.
* There is a Marine Corps Admin Detachment with a couple 01s a CO & NCOIC and about 60-80 Marine students. Most language courses start monthly to every other month when enough students (from all branches of service) are gathered to make up a class. If you have to wait for your class, you will be on casuals and do police calls, admin runner, maintenance projects etc till your class starts. Classes are usually about a year to complete (and 85% or below was failing when I was there so attrition rate is high!). While you are at DLI, your SBI (background investigation) for your clearance should be getting done so you will have it by the time you graduate from DLI (you need this for the next part of your MOS training so if you fail to get it, you will be booted from the school!) Also, if you are doing Arabic, the school is longer as you will learn Modern Standard Arabic for a year and then do several months of dialect specific training.

Goodfellow AFB San Angelo, TX
* Again, another Marine Corps Admin Detachment. This school is completely classified so you have to have a clearance to start classes, again this is a joint service environment, although depending on your language, you may train specifically with one branch. School is usually about 4 months here and when you are done, you will finally have a 267x mos and will hit the fleet (at a Radio Battalion or Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion company...the basic difference being the RadBns are more tactical oriented where as the MCSB companies are strategic in nature).

When I did this, I hit the footprints on Oct14, 1985 and graduated from Goodfellow with the 2673 MOS in Sept 1987, so it was nearly 2 years from footprints to fleet (and it is not until you get to the fleet that you will actually LEARN how to do your job so be prepared to learn a ton at that point!)

Hope that helps

jackson07
07-20-06, 12:31 PM
Sergeant that helps a lot. Thank you, you have answered my question.