PDA

View Full Version : Marine predicts weather on Station, not royal flush in Iraq

thedrifter
07-13-06, 09:13 AM
MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (July 13, 2006) -- On liberty he can be found near a fishing hole waiting for a big catch. When on duty and inclement weather threatens the region, he is on the flight line monitoring wind speeds, temperatures and other conditions.

Cpl. Kevin M. Slater serves the Marine Corps in a distinctive way: he is the weather guy.
The Fort Wayne, Ind., native works as an observer with the Weather Service Division located in the Air Operations Facility on Station.

Everyday, Slater and his team, who are assigned to Headquarters and Headquarter’s Squadron, ensure there are accurate weather reports ready for aviators. Without these reports, a sortie, or flight mission, can't be planned or executed effectively. The weather crew also alerts the Station community and commands of severe weather and intense temperatures.

Growing up playing video games, the 23-year-old never expected he would become a Marine, or a combat equipped weather man. However, Slater would one day find himself immersed in a combat zone in the Iraqi desert, monitoring extreme heat, combating sand storms and relaxing by playing Halo on a video game console.

A family history in the Air Force and a phone call from a suspecting Marine recruiter shaped Slater's decision to join the military.

“My decision was based on who called me first, who was interested in me first,” he said. “I figured (the military) was a good path.”

Slater pursued a military occupational specialty in airfield operations because of his high preliminary test scores.

The 2001 Northrop High School graduate completed recruit training, Marine Combat Training and was then further trained at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Miss., to be a weather observer.
Slater's first tour of duty in the Marine Corps was in Japan.

“I was there for two years,” said Slater. “It was pretty fun actually. There were a lot of things to do out in town. It was a nice place to go. I golfed quite a few times on the golf course there, went fishing a couple times.”

In Japan, Slater was involved in a joint training exercise called Cobra Gold with Thai forces.
“It was a fun deployment,” he said.

After two years in Japan, Slater packed his sea bags and was assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron 271, here during August 2004.

After several more field training exercises, Slater found himself on a deployment roster of Marines headed for Iraq.

The avid fisherman deployed during February 2005 where he served at Camp Blue Diamond and Al Asad, Iraq, for an entire year. His stint was a year long because he decided to extend his tour in Iraq. During his time in Iraq, Slater was assigned to Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron 2 and MWSS-271.

“I made a lot of friends out there,” said Slater.

“(The deployment) really broke the monotony. It was definitely a learning experience.”
Slater said he definitely learned a lot while in Iraq about his job, and also learned what a royal flush looked like, the hard way.

While playing an evening poker game using chips with fellow Marines, Slater was so confident that he had the winning hand that he raised the stakes and went all in on his bet.

“It was me and two other guys,” said Slater. “I had a four of a kind and I was beat out by a royal flush. I had pocket kings and I made a substantial bet to make everyone else fold because I knew I had a good hand. This other guy called me.”

Slater was positive he had the game won with his four of a kind.

“At first I didn't realize it,” he said. “After he made his bet, and I pushed mine in, I threw down my cards, and I threw my hands up and said, ‘I’ve got you, I've got you!’”

When the game was at the end of the line, Slater couldn't believe he had been beat out by the rare hand.

“I just went blank and everything stopped for a second,” he said. “I was like, ‘I cannot believe that.’ It was the most amazing thing. I was amazed, I wasn't even mad because I was beat out by the best hand in poker.”

After a long deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, and a stroke of bad luck at the poker table, Slater is back in the saddle at the weather shop here.

“He’s a comedian pretty much at everything he does,” said Cpl. Tony L. Shaffer, an observer with the Marine Weather section who served with Slater in Iraq. “We are always working stuff out together.”

Slater's leaders have expressed their appreciation of his character and work ethic, which improve the work area for everyone.

“I depend more on him than almost anyone around here,” said Gunnery Sgt. William E. Summy, a forecaster with Marine Weather.

Summy said Slater has a huge responsibility, and has even routinely briefed the commanding general on weather conditions in the region.

As the temperature gets hotter and hurricane season persists this summer, Slater will continue to observe and report the weather's conditions. However, when the work is done, Slater will most likely be found hooking fish at the water's edge.

Ellie