PDA

View Full Version : A question for you

young_dog19
12-28-02, 08:27 PM
Why did you join the Marines?

thedrifter
12-28-02, 08:37 PM
This question was asked awhile back...............
You should have your own reasons for joining Our Beloved Marine Corps............It has to be inside of you and come from the "HEART"....................

See link: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2043

The Drifter

young_dog19
12-28-02, 08:47 PM
I see, it's not what you get (anything physical), it's what you recieve (respect, loyalty, honor, and self-confidence). I'm starting to see why the Marines is the most highly looked upon service.

ecomsg68
12-28-02, 09:34 PM
My reasons for joining the MARINES, very personal, sensitive and certainly not anything I would blast across cyberspace.

But sitting here having thoughts I’m reminded about something Supreme Court Justice and Civil War Veteran Oliver Wendel Holmes said:

“We have shared the incommunicable experience of war. We have felt, we still feel, the passion of life to its top ….. In our youths, our hearts were touched with fire.”

MillRatUSMC
12-28-02, 09:53 PM
Your question might be answered in many ways, depend on the year of each Marine.
And the answers will vary according to each individual place in life.
But you come away with more than just money.
HONOR,COURAGE AND COMMITMENT to start with.
The folllowing might explain what the title Marine stands for.
Words from the VP on the Marine Corps 226th birthday;

In his book, Making Patriots, Walter Burns recounts a story about one Marine stationed abroad.
A foreign diplomat was paying a visit to an American embassy overseas.
It was the end of the day.
And a Marine guard in his spotless uniform asked the visitor to please wait while the flags were lowered.
Slowly and reverently, the Marine went about the ceremony of lowering and folding and, after making an about face, carrying the flag and formally placing it on a stand.

As the observer recalled, the Marine then marched over to the second flag and repeated the same lonesome ceremony.
After completing his task, he apologized for the delay and said, thank you for waiting, sir. I had to pay honor.
On that occasion, someone was there to see this young man doing his duty.
But everyone knows that he would have acted with the same precision, the same care, the same devotion without a soul there to watch him.

In any place and in any task for a United States Marine, there is only one standard: Do your duty and do it right. For 226 years, Marines have defended this Nation, representing the best that is in it.

Those qualities are worth more than money.
And will take more than money or a promise of a college education in any forecoming war.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

leroy8541
12-30-02, 08:05 PM
I thought the uniform was cool. learned the real reason later..

young_dog19
12-30-02, 08:08 PM
Ha ha ha! Good reason! It is a pretty cool looking uniform!

USMC0311
12-30-02, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by young_dog19
Why did you join the Marines?

The armY told me 90 days the Marines said 30 and got me in 6 days later.
I joined to fight in Vietnam. 10 March 1965 was my acceptance date. I went to Vietnam and on 6 March 66 I was wounded twice On Operation UTAH.

Hows that for havin yer cake and eatin it too :)

The Marine Corps was and is the Best experience I have ever had and it was the Best time of my Life. I have no better friends or family than Marines.

young_dog19
12-30-02, 08:32 PM
Good reason; gives the enemy less time to try and kill you.

USMC-FO
12-30-02, 08:58 PM
Because I saw John Wayne in "The Sands of Iwo Jima".

I graduated PI 40 years and two months ago and earned the title, Marine. I am still a Marine to this day. As I look back now, I also understand I earned integrity, honor, courage, fidelity and unsurpassed pride that will be with me forever.

Nothing more need ever be said of me than I was a good father, an American, and a Marine. Nothing else matters.