PDA

View Full Version : Not a Marine but just asking

theoaj34
07-10-06, 09:53 PM
I was watching CNN and there were talking about Marines in Ramadi. I then thought, "How long do you guys go there for. Is it nine months or ten months for example?"

theoaj34
07-10-06, 09:54 PM
Could it be extended or reduced?

kovanfleet
07-10-06, 10:05 PM
i dont really know but my girlfriend's brother was there in Iraq for 8 months, 2 different times. i think one of his buddies in small craft had to stay for a extra 2 months than him once. the Marines should know for sure though.

theoaj34
07-10-06, 10:10 PM
True

hrscowboy
07-10-06, 10:33 PM
When your a Marine you do as your told not as you want. Sometimes there are 12 month tours like i had in Nam. To find out about Iraq you would have to ask someone thats been there..

usmchauer
07-10-06, 10:46 PM
The more recent tours in Iraq are roughly "7 months". But there are always exceptions to the rule.

Tiamat13
07-11-06, 03:53 AM
How many tours are required "if not all" before voluntary tours can be served? I have heard "went for a third voluntary tour" many times and it made me curious.

Thanks,
Tiamat13

Brooklyn
07-11-06, 06:50 AM
My recruiter was telling me about ppl volunteering to go. He didn't mention anything about having to have previous deployments to the area. He said once someone volunteers they are sent to a unit that is already scheduled to deploy. He told me most ppl volunteer because of how much money they can make ( tax free, hazardous duty pay ) and how much they can save ( nowhere to spend money ).

Marine84
07-11-06, 08:04 AM
You "volunteer" for ANYTHING the Corps throws at you as soon as you sign that dotted line and take that oath.

Echo_Four_Bravo
07-11-06, 12:57 PM
I know people that have been able to ask and go, without problem. I also know people that have been trying to find their way to a combat zone for years, either Afghanistan or Iraq, yet they've never left the US. And, there are people that are spending more time in the sandbox than they care to spend. Its just what the Corps needs at any given time. If they need you in Iraq, that's where you'll end up. If they need you teaching a class at MWTC Bridgeport, then you'll do that.