PDA

View Full Version : Second Battalion Platoon 2042 "1966"

jen81770
07-08-06, 03:44 AM
Hello. I am new and do not mean to intrude on your website, but would like to know if there would be any information about my father's platoon. I don't have much information about what he did while he was in the Marine's. He was in Vietnam. I have a red book that was like a year book that has photo's of the goings on in training. I have a photo of my father while he was in Vietnam, but I don't really know who he knew while he was in the Marine's and he never really talked about it. I was 17 when my father passed away of a brain aneurysm, which was told to us by the VA hospital in Gainesville FL was related to agent orange...and when his records were released to my mother they were blacked out. My mother receives a few benefits, but that is not what I am here for. My father's name is James Harvey Sirmans. The book I have states that it was the Second Battalion Platoon 2042. It does not state his rank, but on his gravestone it states that he was a SGT...Any news or information about that time or the platoon, please email Jen81770@aol.com. I understand that it was a horrible time back then, but I would just be interested in talking with others that may have known my dad. Or known anything about that platoon. Thanks so much for your time. Sincerely Jennifer Sirmans....South Ga

criggleman
07-08-06, 05:47 AM
Jennifer,
The info that you have is from his training Battalion while at boot camp. Not his unit while he was in the Fleet. Good luck with your search for infomation, sorry to hear about your dad. We owe him and all the veterans from that time Thanks.
SF, Clay

jen81770
07-08-06, 02:45 PM
Any idea how I could find out the information that you suggested that I need?

Zulu 36
07-08-06, 04:57 PM
If your mother has your father's DD-214 (actual discharge form, not the nice certificate), it will have some of the basic information you want. However, for more details it can provide the specific...

jen81770
07-10-06, 02:56 AM
My mom doesn't talk to me about my father anymore. I think she would be upset that I was even asking questions. So asking her anything about my dad's records would just cause an argument that I would rather not have. As far as I know, she received a copy of his records when he was diagnosed with the aneurysm, but I am not sure if she ever received anything else. I do know that most of those records were blacked out. But as far as asking her anything. That is out of the question. I filled out the information on the website that you sent me and printed out the form to mail it in. Thanks for all of your help. I'm just missing my dad...even though he passed away over 10 years ago. I would like to know a little more about him than I already knew. I think being an adult and not knowing my dad as an adult and my dad before he knew my mom...or even before he was my dad...has me curious. I am just interested. Thanks again.

GySgtRet
07-10-06, 06:04 AM
First of all Welcome to Leatherneck. You are not intruding Marines take care of their own. I din't know your dad but may he Rest in Peace. From all of the information you have been given you should be able to get your information. On top of all of this information try to atleast get his social security card. The VA and the DAV may be a source for you to get your dad's information. CAS3 is a very excellent member of this forum and she is usually on the site quite a few times during the day, she is our VA rep., and is a wealth of knowledge.

I wish you well in your quest.

We have a motto in the Marine Corps. Semper Fidelis "Always Faithful"

jen81770
07-10-06, 06:42 AM
I thank you! I do have my father's wallet. It has his personal things, driver's license and social security card. I hope to know more when I get MORE information. I sent off for his records. Again Thanks!