PDA

View Full Version : Mom: Support Growing For Marines Accused Of Murder

thedrifter
06-24-06, 07:52 AM
Mom: Support Growing For Marines Accused Of Murder
Families Plead For Monetary Support

POSTED: 7:49 pm PDT June 22, 2006
UPDATED: 1:42 am PDT June 23, 2006
SAN DIEGO -- The mother of one of the eight Camp Pendleton Marines being accused of a murder in Iraq said support is growing for her son and for the other military members behind bars.

Along with other families of accused military members, Carolyn Jodka has set up a Web site for her son, Pfc. John Jodka. She is asking for monetary support for what will likely be a costly trial.

"The support has been absolutely overwhelming," Carolyn Jodka said. "I believe in his innocence, and I hope that the public will see that my hopes and wishes are not unfounded."

Over the past two weeks, several rallies have been held outside Camp Pendleton in support of the Marines and Navy corpsman behind bars. Organizers said the grassroots movement is growing.

"This is a chance for people to be active, to do something," said organizer Kim Krauss. "People are coming from Utah; people are coming from Arizona. This is big."

John Jodka, seven other Marines and a Navy corpsman are accused of pulling an unarmed Iraqi man from his home on April 26 and shooting him to death. They allegedly covered up the shooting by making it look like the man was armed, planting a roadside bomb with a shovel next to him.

Not all San Diegans are convinced of the service members' innocence.

"I don't think that you want to support that because it sends the wrong message to the troops, saying, 'You can do whatever you want and it's wartime, and you can get away with it,'" said Nan Beck.

An attorney for one of the Marines said Thursday the military has scheduled a hearing for next week, although the team plans to ask for a postponement for more time to prepare.

If convicted, some or all of the service members could face the death penalty.

Ellie