PDA

View Full Version : Reg boot camp harder or OCS harder?

marinedropout
06-23-06, 10:15 PM
I know that OCS is definitely harder than reg boot camp. But for some reason I went to a OCS class of 186 website and watched their boot camp videos. OCS drill instructors don't seem as harsh as Parris Island DIs. I want to head back to the Corps after college and I was just wondering which one to go back in. I know that the training in OCS is probably 10x harder but what about the mental process? The OCS DI's seemed to be nicer to these OCS recruits for some reason. Not really "nicer" but just don't seem as harsh as NCO DIs.

I'd greatly appreciate any answer.

getsomedevildog
12-24-07, 05:34 PM
well OCS they expect you to be smarter and better at everything. so it is going to be harder. but at Parris island.. there is a lot more yelling and screaming. thats because you are the worst as they come.. most of them dont have any kind of Collage and are as dumb as they come. that is why that Parris island looks a lot harder. and all the videos that you see are edited. they do not want you to see what it is really like.. what the mothers of america dont know about.... the more they get away wit..

LeonardLawrence
12-24-07, 05:40 PM
People who have been through it, say they are hard in their own unique ways. Boot camp has more forced discipline, where OCS expects you to supply alot of your own.

With a name like Marinedropout, you may issues with either. :p

I would say attitude carries along way.

semperfi170
12-24-07, 07:50 PM
You need to fill out your profile. That would be the first step in getting answers.

ammermda
12-25-07, 09:28 AM
One element that makes OCS mentally challenging is the ability to quit. After three weeks, a candidate can Drop on Request (DOR) at any point during the training, no questions asked. The Marine Corps wants officers that WANT to be there, and have the mental discipline to overcome physical hardship.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-25-07, 12:46 PM
Interesting that this original post was started, what...18 months ago?

thewookie
12-25-07, 06:27 PM
Interesting that this original post was started, what...18 months ago?

Yea,,,I noticed that too. I think it was because the motivated getsomePFC took the bait on a question that nobody answered when it was posted way back when? Or something like that?

WalkingMan
12-26-07, 06:32 PM
I know that OCS is definitely harder than reg boot camp. But for some reason I went to a OCS class of 186 website and watched their boot camp videos. OCS drill instructors don't seem as harsh as Parris Island DIs. I want to head back to the Corps after college and I was just wondering which one to go back in. I know that the training in OCS is probably 10x harder but what about the mental process? The OCS DI's seemed to be nicer to these OCS recruits for some reason. Not really "nicer" but just don't seem as harsh as NCO DIs.

I'd greatly appreciate any answer.

I was an instructor at Quantico, VA, OCS when I returned from Viet Nam.

They had some pretty strict guidelines for the treatment of Officer Candidates.

Candidates are expected to be self-starters, and highly motivated, so while they were treated a little more like 'gentlemen' on the surface, it was easier for them to wash out of training, by not being highly motivated and self-starting... sort of like the difference between High School and University.

They have to be leaders from the get-go, which is a lot different than in the enlisted ranks, where it took years for us enlisted Marines to get NCO rank.

As enlisted instructors, if we saw a Candidate who did not have what it took, for us to want him as a leader, we would just give him enough rope to hang himself.

About the toughest thing we ever did to the Candidates was during their first long run, when these guys were hurting really bad, and feeling very sorry for themselves, we would explain to them that while they were laying there puking and moaning and holding their sides in agony, their enlisted Marines were up ahead, in a fire-fight, pinned down, and being cut to pieces by the enemy.

It was really interesting to see how that kind of talk could motivate all but the biggest losers.... those guys had a lot of pride and determination, and this hurt them more than yelling at them would have.

They also were quick to figure out that the reason they suffered so much on that first long run, was because they had not been paying attention during the classrom lecture, where it had been mentioned that drinking too much water on a long run was not recommended. :)

Christ0ph
12-28-07, 10:17 PM
I was an instructor at Quantico, VA, OCS when I returned from Viet Nam.

They had some pretty strict guidelines for the treatment of Officer Candidates.

Candidates are expected to be self-starters, and highly motivated, so while they were treated a little more like 'gentlemen' on the surface, it was easier for them to wash out of training, by not being highly motivated and self-starting... sort of like the difference between High School and University.

They have to be leaders from the get-go, which is a lot different than in the enlisted ranks, where it took years for us enlisted Marines to get NCO rank.

As enlisted instructors, if we saw a Candidate who did not have what it took, for us to want him as a leader, we would just give him enough rope to hang himself.

About the toughest thing we ever did to the Candidates was during their first long run, when these guys were hurting really bad, and feeling very sorry for themselves, we would explain to them that while they were laying there puking and moaning and holding their sides in agony, their enlisted Marines were up ahead, in a fire-fight, pinned down, and being cut to pieces by the enemy.

It was really interesting to see how that kind of talk could motivate all but the biggest losers.... those guys had a lot of pride and determination, and this hurt them more than yelling at them would have.

They also were quick to figure out that the reason they suffered so much on that first long run, was because they had not been paying attention during the classrom lecture, where it had been mentioned that drinking too much water on a long run was not recommended. :)

I heard OCS is all about running, no IT. How and why is that? How long and fast do you run in OCS?

Echo_Four_Bravo
12-29-07, 04:02 AM
90 miles at 5:00/mile pace every day before chow.