PDA

View Full Version : Marine rescues local man from burning car

thedrifter
06-17-06, 07:13 AM
June 16, 2006

Marine rescues local man from burning car

by Lance Cpl. Scott M. Biscuiti
MCB Camp Butler

CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan -- When Takashi Shinjo's car crashed into a bus stop and caught fire May 29 on the Okinawa Expressway, he lost consciousness immediately. Moments later, Lance Cpl. Brent Spooner rushed toward the burning vehicle and pulled the unconscious Okinawan man to safety.

Spooner, a motor vehicle operator with 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, said he saw Shinjo's vehicle lose control and collide with a bus stop on the southbound side of the expressway between exits three and four at around 9 p.m. He immediately pulled over to help and was one of the first responders at the scene of the accident.

"I didn't have time to think. I just reacted," Spooner said.

Shinjo's car immediately caught fire on impact, and the fire quickly began to spread, according to Spooner.

"When I was pulling him out of the car, the fire was all the way to the dashboard," he said. "Shinjo was unconscious, so I carried him about 20 feet away from his car and checked his pulse."

Air Force Capt. Ronald J. Chastain and Ishikawa Police Capt. Hidenori Akamine also arrived at the scene to help.

"If they were not there, (Shinjo) could have been killed," said Isamu Nakaima, a traffic police Inspector with the Traffic Mobile Unit, Okinawa Prefectural Police.

Shinjo was hospitalized and sustained injuries to his neck and ribs. He said all he remembers is trying to pass another vehicle. The following night, he woke up in the hospital, and his wife told him about the accident and how service members assisted in his rescue.

When the Okinawa Prefectural Police visited Shinjo, they explained the details of the accident. Shinjo quickly realized the severity of the crash.

"From what the police told me, it was a miracle how I have no burns and survived an accident like that," Shinjo said. "There are many different opinions about American service members here. When a crisis or emergency arises, Okinawans can depend on American service members to help.

"Words can't express how thankful I am," he added. "When I get the opportunity to meet the service members, I'd like to convey my deepest appreciation."

Spooner, 28, is a native of Windsor Mill, Md. He joined the Marine Corps Nov. 18, 2002.

Shinjo, 46, is an employee of Nippon Hoso Kyokai, Okinawa.

Ellie