PDA

View Full Version : A quick hello, one sweet surprise

thedrifter
06-17-06, 07:03 AM
A quick hello, one sweet surprise
Marines speak to kin from Iraq

By Emma G. Fitzsimmons, Globe Correspondent | June 17, 2006

Sergeant Mark Sabourin never knows what to expect as a radio supervisor for the Marines in the deserts of Fallujah, except the relentless heat and the possibility of attack. His unit trains Iraqi security forces, and clashes with insurgents are frequent. They lost a member in a suicide bombing last month. Surprises are usually unwelcome in Sabourin's wartime life.

But yesterday he got a good one. In an interview with a Boston radio talk show host, the voices of his daughters unexpectedly came over the satellite phone.

``Hi Daddy," the two girls squealed from the sound booth at WILD-AM. ``Happy Father's Day."

Sabourin, whose family lives in Bellingham, began to cry.

``Thank you, babies," he said through tears. ``I love you. Be good girls."

His wife Danielle hugged their two daughters, Makenzie, 5, and Keiley, 3, in the 1090 AM sound booth next to morning host Jimmy Myers, whose station organized the call with eight Boston-area Marines at Camp Baharia in Fallujah, about 40 miles west of Baghdad. Sabourin, a reservist who also served in the Gulf War, thanked his father, Henry, in the half-hour broadcast.

``My dad was a hard worker, and he taught me to work long hours to support my family," said Sabourin, 37.

During the Father's Day tribute, some got surprise phone visits from children, wives or fathers. Others reflected on the meaning of fatherhood. For Myers, hearing grown men say they love one another rekindled memories of his father, who said those words to him for the first time just before his death.

``We're trying to put people in touch with the human element of this war," Myers said. ``Real people are out fighting this war. "

Lance Corporal Ryan Pugsley of Braintree thanked his father, Steve, who was in the studio, for being his soccer coach and for taking care of his truck while he is in Iraq. ``He's been a father when I've needed him and a friend when I needed one," he said. ``You've always been there for me, Dad."

Two of Steve Pugsley's nephews are serving in the same unit as his son, and the war has affected the whole family, Steve Pugsley said. The father said he didn't expect such affectionate words from his 20-year-old son, who isn't known for expressing his emotions.

``It was great to hear his voice," he said. ``It's nice to know you were doing the right thing as a dad all along."

About 120 of the Marines in the First Battalion, 25th Regiment out of Devens Reserve Forces Training Area are from Massachusetts, and another 1,000 are from New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Their yearlong tour started in January.

Myers said he was especially moved by the way Sabourin's two daughters perked up when they heard their father's voice.

``All those people that are here living this every day, they are missing their daddy," he said. ``The moment they heard his voice, I saw them jump a little. "

Dan McMorrow of West Roxbury told Myers he was thinking of his four children, especially his 7-month-old, Jack. He thanked his wife, whom he described as a strong woman for keeping the family and household in order during his absence.

``It is difficult," he said of his family. ``They understand why I'm here. Hopefully, we'll get it done and get home."

A few hours after the broadcast, Mark Sabourin sent his family an e-mail: ``I am amazed," he wrote. ``That was the best Father's Day gift I will ever receive."

Ellie