PDA

View Full Version : Taking aim: Okinawa-based units hone combat skills

thedrifter
06-16-06, 05:37 AM
CAMP SCHWAB, OKINAWA, Japan (June 16, 2006) -- In the heat of battle, the difference between life and death may be the training Marines receive. To ensure they're battle ready, 72 Marines and sailors from units around the island fired weapons, rehearsed convoy operations and urban combat techniques June 5-12.

3rd Marine Division was tasked with planning, coordinating and executing the training. The service members not only received detailed instruction during the exercise, but were required to demonstrate an understanding of skills covered.

"We received classes on everything from convoy (operations) and (improvised explosive devices) to urban combat and crew served weapons," said Sgt. Courtney Donald, a field radio operator with Headquarters Company, 4th Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division.

Numerous units within 3rd Marine Division, including 4th Marine Regiment, 12th Marine Regiment, Combat Assault Battalion and Headquarters Battalion, provided the service members with the hands-on training.

One of the most thorough periods of instruction came from 9th Engineer Support Battalion's explosive ordnance disposal technicians who shared lessons learned from Iraq, according to Courtney.

"I've never received such an in-depth class before," Donald said. "They took us out on convoys and to an IED lane so we could visually see the IEDs, learn how to find them and know what to do when we find them."

The experienced and trained personnel wanted to provide the most current information about what to expect in a combat environment, according to Staff Sgt. Robert Perez, an EOD technician with 9th ESB.

"We are opening their eyes to what the enemy is doing," Perez said. "We wanted to make them aware on how to pinpoint a threat and to deal with the situation."
Learning from Marines who have been to Iraq or Afghanistan is extremely important, according to Master Sgt. Richard A. White, 3rd Marine Division's training chief.

"Marines who are going through the training gain valuable insight from the Marines who have been there," White said. "Their experiences help provide a better understanding and help develop a mental picture for the Marines as it relates to the specific training they are conducting."

Marines with Headquarters Battery, 12th Marines, provided the crew-served weapons live-fire portion of the pre-deployment training.
Service members were familiarized with the MK-19 40 mm grenade launcher, M-2 .50 caliber heavy machine gun and M-240G medium machine gun, according to Master Sgt. Arthur Moore, the 12th Marines battery master sergeant.

"Marines and sailors rarely get an opportunity to fire weapons like these," Moore said. "There is a good chance that the (service members) receiving this training will see these weapons again."

Though the training is complete, the information taken by the service members will last a lifetime, according to Donald.

"I think that the classes I've received this week have been the best I've ever received in the Marine Corps," Donald said. "I'm sure that our training will save lives someday."

Ellie