PDA

View Full Version : Athlete looks to serious goals: Marines

thedrifter
06-14-06, 07:41 AM
Posted June 14, 2006

Mike Woods column: Athlete looks to serious goals: Marines

I first met Andy Balliet last fall. It was a pretty fair evening when he showed up at my house, decked out in a suit and tie.

He was a nice kid, clearly having earned high marks in manners and patience as flashbulbs blinded him for several minutes as he stood next to my daughter Andrea while her extended family looked on.

It's the penalty a young man must pay when he decides to ask a girl to the Great Homecoming Dance.

By the time the smart-looking couple sprinted for the door, Andy hadn't said more than a handful of words. When they drove away, I thought to myself, nice kid, but awfully quiet. Will make a nice accountant some day.

I didn't know Andy very well.

Last Sunday afternoon, Andy was on the floor of the Banta Bowl, running every which way, screaming as if just stepped on a hornets' nest. His Appleton Lacrosse Club team had just won the state championship in only its third year of existence, and as his teammates gathered for a group hug about 20 yards behind Andy, he spotted them.

You could sense what was going through his mind. Mosh pit. He performed a swan dive. This kid was no accountant.

This was just the beginning of what promised to be quite the party. But not for Andy. In just a couple of hours he would be heading off to Milwaukee. He was going to be a United States Marine.

"This is exactly how he wanted it to happen,'' said Fritzi Balliet, Andy's mom.

It was a year ago when Andy went to sign up. He originally was supposed to leave this Monday. But the Marines needed some recruits earlier so Andy looked at the lacrosse tournament schedule, saw that the state title game would be played at 2 p.m. and knew he'd be able to get to the recruiter's office later that evening in time to head to Milwaukee. So he volunteered.

"I thought I might as well go now instead of waiting around," Andy said after the title game.

But what about the celebration party? What about the graduation parties the next weekend? What about relaxing a bit after a whirlwind four days that saw him graduate Thursday night, play in a lacrosse state semifinal game Friday, play his French horn in the Flag Day Parade with the Appleton East band Saturday, host his own graduation party later that day, then play in the lacrosse state title game on Sunday?

Can a kid get a little R&R around here?

"Nope," said Fritzi. "He was ready. He did his job, they came and won the game, now it's time to move on and go to the next challenge."

Andy does not come from a big military family. His grandfather was in the Air Force in World War II, but that's not what attracted him to the Marines. It was the two most infamous numbers we know. 9-11.

"It really hit home to him," said Fritzi. "And he pretty much took it as a personal affront. And he wanted to protect his country."

Then came the trip to Washington, D.C. The Balliets went to visit their daughter Becky, who was doing an internship there. She got them passes to the White House. She also got them a sponsor to be in the rose garden when Marine One was scheduled to land.

They stood behind a rope near the end of the line. Out came President Bush. Fritzi said their eyes met, and he walked their way.

"I said to the president, this is a future Marine. And he stopped in his tracks," said Fritzi.

Bush then turned to Andy, who told him "Yes sir, that's all I ever wanted to be."

President Bush then put his hand on Andy's shoulder, shook his hand, and told him how grateful he was that he had chosen to serve his country.

"I think it really solidified for him that what he was doing was vitally important," said Fritzi.

When Sunday's game concluded, several of Andy's classmates made their way to the field to seek him out and wish him well and, without saying it, wish him safety.

Time was short, but he was the last to leave the stadium, soaking in every last moment. When he got home, the first thing he did was get a bucket of water and headed for his Ford Contour, washing off the old windshield paint before doing a little redecorating.

Next to the lacrosse sticks and his No. 22, he put "16-0. Lacrosse state champs."

When he got out of the shower, more friends had gathered. When the Balliets backed out of the driveway, the friends stayed close, like Secret Service men protecting a motorcade.

There is no more honorable profession then to serve your country, but at times of war it's not the first thing a mother wants to hear her son say he wants to do.

"Yes, I worry," said Fritzi. "I'm scared. But I also trust him. I have such a confidence in him.

"This is his passion. You can't let them not do what their passion is. And he always wanted to be a Marine."

Mike Woods can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 232, or by e-mail at mwoods@postcrescent.com.

Ellie