PDA

View Full Version : how do you join the marines

Bachle
06-12-06, 06:07 PM
I know this is kind of like my last question but I dont think my post was specific enough. Here is my situation: I am a 17 year old highschool graduate, my parents dont want to have anything to do with me joining the military (totally unsupportive) and wont let me sign up until the day I turn 18 (november 8th) I currently live in saudi arabia (going to live with friends in canada in a month) so it is expensive as hell calling recruiters and asking for information. Can I just take a bus to paris island anytime, sign up and start bootcamp after I take all the physicals/fill out forms or is there some ammount of time that this stuff needs to be processed or are there certain time blocks that you get sent to bootcamp after you sign up. I appriciate your help guys thanks a lot

Jordan

GySgtRet
06-12-06, 08:15 PM
NO you were not very clear at all. In oder to help we need some facts here bukeroo. Let me get this straight you live in Saudi with the mom and the dad? You will be leaving there for Toronto.? What are you doing in Toronto? Are you trying to avoid your parents wishes? This is your business. If you are going to turn 18 November 8th don't worry about it. Nothing is stopping you from going to a recruiter once you get to North American soil. Things that you will need: Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, High School Diploma, a permenant address, the Marine Corps doesn't want any drifters. If you go to see a recruiter when you get here you can do the ASVAB and everything short of enlisting, that is why you either have to have parental consent or wait till you are 18 in November. If there is anything else that you have left out you may as well get it out now. There are active duty and retired Marines on the site.

Good luck

Marine84
06-12-06, 08:36 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Take a bus to PI? Are you kidding me? I'm sorry............that was just funny to me.

No honey, you cannot just take a bus to PI and fill out paperwork and trash and go right to training from the front gate. Just make sure you have everything that Gunny said to bring when you go see that recruiter.

And aaaaaaaa..................fill out your profile please, we like knowing to whom we're talking.

Stanley Hroszow
06-12-06, 09:01 PM
Before you leave home, I would suggest that you wait and make things right with your family first, before any thing. Family is very important, even for men in the Marines, and more so if you have to go to war. It would be very important to have their support if possible.

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-06, 12:30 AM
I don't know, but would living in Saudi Arabia make it difficult to join the Marines? It seems that, at a minimum, it would be almost impossible to get a security clearance if needed for a particular MOS.

I don't know, just thinking "outloud"

Bachle
06-13-06, 02:51 AM
I don't know, but would living in Saudi Arabia make it difficult to join the Marines? It seems that, at a minimum, it would be almost impossible to get a security clearance if needed for a particular MOS.

I don't know, just thinking "outloud"

I kind of see where you are comeing from that one, but the only reason we are here is because my dad is working for this oil company saudi aramco, and besides my dad almost all of my family has been american or canadian military as far back as the revolution (or in canadas case the war of 1812)

Sixguns
06-13-06, 08:38 AM
Sage advice Gunny. Follow those instructions young man!

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-06, 12:33 PM
Bachle, I am not trying to question your intentions. I have no doubt that you are a good person, and not anything we would need to worry about. I just don't know what all the rules are about joining and/or getting access to classified information if you have lived in the middle east recently.

Bachle
06-13-06, 12:36 PM
so assumeing I show up with my birth cirtificate, my social security card, and my highschool diploma plus an adress where I live is there a way for me to ask to get shipped to bootcamp imediately or would I have to wait for a designated ship out date?

Marine84
06-13-06, 01:32 PM
you can ALWAYS ask anything - weather you get it or not is a totally different story.

Why are you wanting to move soooooooo fast?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-13-06, 04:50 PM
You aren't going to walk into a recruiter's office and leave that day. You will have to take the ASVAB, your physical, etc and they will have to find a date for you to ship. Now, you could get lucky and leave very quickly, or it could take a while, just depends on what is open at that time.

GySgtRet
06-13-06, 05:35 PM
Son I do not know what your hurry is...??? The Marines Corps wants you and has been around for 230 years 231 this coming November 10th. Cool your jets, get with what everybody is advising you and things will be fine. Trust us. The Marine Corps will have trust in you, don't be in such a hurry.

We have all been your age before impetuous and impatient. Relax, breathe, trigger control. Oh dang I just gave a way a secret of succesfull shooting. That will be a requirement by the way.

Hang in there we will guide you through this.

Bachle
06-14-06, 10:12 AM
I dont wanna miss the war, and I heard that by mid 2007 they would already be drawing the forces down to 100,000 and they were hopeing for an almost complete withdrawl by late 2008

Marine84
06-14-06, 11:33 AM
You don't want to miss the war? Would it matter if there wasn't one going on now - would you still want to be a Marine?

Why do you want to go to war so bad?

Echo_Four_Bravo
06-14-06, 12:28 PM
Bachle, it is impossible at this time to tell when the troop reductions in Iraq will begin. Many thought that there would be few troops left at this point, and that hasn't been the case. Looking at a situation like this a year or two down the road is difficult, at best. It should also be considered that there are other trouble spots in the world. As of right now, I expect there to be action in Iran in the near future. There are also concerns with North Korea, Syria, and we still haven't found bin Laden. There will be plenty of things for you to do.

Sixguns
06-14-06, 12:57 PM
If we all knew when the forces would be drawn down.... So would the enemy!!

There have been Marines in the middle east since the first war in the sand box ended. This one is not going to end overnight. If it could, I am sure we would have been there by now.

Stanley Hroszow
06-14-06, 01:43 PM
I just figured it out, he wants to die, but he dosn't want to do it him self,

Marine84
06-14-06, 02:12 PM
LOL Stanley!

Bachle
06-15-06, 03:05 AM
I just figured it out, he wants to die, but he dosn't want to do it him self,

wow, you know I really thought this was a place where I could ask some serious questions and get some imput from marines who have already gone through what I am about to do in about 5 months, but obviously this whole site is a joke. If there are any real marines reading this who would like to help out a new guy with some advice please email me cause I am not visiting this website again it is bull****.

jinelson
06-15-06, 03:23 AM
Stand down Jordan if you couldnt take a comment from a Marine that you solicited advice from I think you may have trouble with what you will be told by Marines DI's in recruit training. most all the Marines that answered you gave you good positive advice. If you choose to cut and run because of one answer that upset you, fine but thats your lose not ours.

Jim ;)

Marine84
06-15-06, 08:34 AM
Nah...............this one won't be able to handle it even if he does make it to 18 to sign up.

Stanley Hroszow
06-15-06, 09:35 AM
One of the finer qualities of a marine is to be honest, and so far you have not been honest with us, as to why you do not go in after you are 18, it is only five months away, as for the war ending too soon for you not to worry in one year to two it will be time enough to put your time there, if they start reducing the personal there fresh troupes would be needed to replace the ones coming home. troupes will be needed for one or two years after, but less then now, you will still have time to go to fight if you make it as a Marine two times before the war is over.

USMCVet1992
07-01-06, 02:06 PM
I dont wanna miss the war, and I heard that by mid 2007 they would already be drawing the forces down to 100,000 and they were hopeing for an almost complete withdrawl by late 2008

Firstly, if you want to make it through Boot Camp, you may want to have a bit of a change in your attitude....

Wishing not to miss the war.... How bout if you earn the Title first.. Then worry about whether or not you will be deployed. IF you enlist, and IF you graduate, you may never see the region, depending on MOS. Even if you are 0311 or any 03whatever, IF you finish SOI, you are not going to ship that day. If you enlisted today, you are looking at likely at least a YEAR before you would even see those orders, so calm down there sparky and worry about GETTING to Boot Camp, let alone finishing. Get your documentation in order, go see a Recruiter, take your physical, take the ASVAB, so on so forth, SIGN THE CONTRACT, and we will see if you have what it takes to be one of us.... As for that war bull****, I think the reality of things there will surprise you, it aint like the Hollywood version... :p

Good Luck, SEMPER FI, GB/GBA
:usmc:

USMCVet1992
07-01-06, 02:16 PM
wow, you know I really thought this was a place where I could ask some serious questions and get some imput from marines who have already gone through what I am about to do in about 5 months, but obviously this whole site is a joke. If there are any real marines reading this who would like to help out a new guy with some advice please email me cause I am not visiting this website again it is bull****.
:mad:

Are you friggin serious? You get a little shot to the ribs from someone, and you are gonna throw in the towel? Go join the Airforce, because you SURELY dont have what it takes to be a US MARINE. If you ask a question, make it a good question and dont talk about "I might miss the war"..blah blah blah...

Hey guys, this kid sure as hell doesnt have what it takes to EARN the Title, he wants it handed over...

If that little tongue lashing got to you, a DI will put you in tears and other various items in your skivvies..... Join the Coast Guard dude.....

:usmc: