View Full Version : Conflicting emotions about flag nothing new

thedrifter
06-11-06, 02:24 PM
Conflicting emotions about flag nothing new
Debate going on through much of U.S. history
By Adam Geller
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.11.2006

Not long after Richard Evey began flying an American flag upside down outside his home, one infuriated neighbor called police. Another began making obscene gestures each time he drove past.
Evey, who lives not far from a Marine Corps air station in Havelock, N.C., relishes need-ling his fellow citizens with a message that the country is headed in the wrong direction.

"The flag is a symbol of the freedoms our country was formed for," says the man disdained for disrespecting it. "You see the thing flying and it's gorgeous, it's beautiful."
What is it that stirs Americans' intense, complicated, and sometimes conflicting emotions about our flag? The debate has been going on for much of our history — and as we commemorate our 90th Flag Day this week, it is likely to flare again.
The Senate is moving nearer to a vote on whether to amend the Constitution to ban burning the flag. No matter that flag burning is rare.
Sacred, yet utilitarian
"We have this civil religion that has its own sacraments and icons, and clearly the flag has become one of them," said Jackson Lears, a professor of history at Rutgers University.
At the same time, however, the flag is treated as supremely utilitarian, adaptable for any purpose — as suitable for use on a bikini or an air freshener as on a politician's lapel.
We salute digital images of waving flags before ball games. The flag is a Jasper Johns painting, a Bruce Springsteen album cover, the motorcycle helmet worn by Peter Fonda in "Easy Rider."
"Americans really have a very peculiar relationship with their flag," said Markus Kemmelmeier, a social psychologist at the University of Nevada-Reno. Kemmelmeier, who is German-born and came to the United States a dozen years ago, has spent much of the time since studying the pervasiveness of the flag and the meanings people attach to it.
"I can't say I've figured it all out," he says. That may be because there is no one right answer to what the flag means, except that our relationship with it is far more complex than we often realize.
A shaft of afternoon sun spears the air-conditioned darkness, the stillness ebbing before the rising tide of a choir. "O say, can you see…" the voices ask.
And as eyes blink in the newfound light, a murmur spreads through the small theater at Baltimore's Fort McHenry.
A third-grader, camera dangling from his neck, stands ramrod straight and presses fingers to the brim of his baseball cap in salute. Hands rise to hearts, and lips form words written about this very place.
A curtain that moments ago covered a wall has drawn back and there, undulating across the sky, is the reason they have come.
"It's more than a piece of fabric," visitor Eric Bacher of Bel Air, Md., says later, squinting up at the 42-by-30-foot replica. "It's hearts and souls and history and hopes and dreams."
An afterthought 200 years ago
Given the intensity many feel about the flag, it's hard to imagine that for Americans of 200 years ago, it was little more than an afterthought.
Early in our history, the flag flew over forts and federal buildings but was not widely used. The U.S. Army did not carry it into battle for 50 years.
"Until the Civil War, the flag was really not all that popular," says Robert Goldstein, author of several books on the flag's history and the debate over its desecration. "People did not fly it in front of private homes. Schools did not fly it. … It really was not that important."
Even in 1814, when Francis Scott Key wrote the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner" after watching the British fleet shell Fort McHenry, that did not really change. His poem proved popular but was not adopted as the national anthem until 1931.
The War Between the States changed things decisively, as Northerners enthusiastically embraced the flag as the symbol of fragile national unity.
"Until now, we never thought about the flag being more than a nice design of red and white stripes," a woman named Nancy Cunningham wrote in her diary at the time, quoted by Goldstein.
Wilson proclaimed Flag Day
Only after the war, however, did Americans demand protection for the flag. The threat then was not burning, but advertising. The flag was used to promote magic elixirs and alcoholic beverages, printed on wrappers for cheese and cigars. The first proposed anti-desecration measure came in 1878.
In recent protests by entrants demanding the right to live and work legally in the United States, protesters carried the U.S. flag alongside those of the countries of their birth.
Similarly, German-speaking immigrants displayed the flag to show loyalty during the run-up to U.S. involvement in World War I. Americans' patriotic fervor culminated in 1916, with President Woodrow Wilson's proclamation of the first national Flag Day.
World War II added to Old Glory's role as symbol of American strength and goodness — a status enhanced by the news photo and later the memorial showing Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima.
It took Vietnam to put the flag again at the center of a culture war. Months after war protesters burned a flag in New York's Central Park in 1967, Congress passed the first federal flag anti-desecration law.
Though that law, and state laws like it, were struck down by the Supreme Court in 1989, debate over how we see the flag has simmered ever since.

Ellie

thedrifter
06-11-06, 02:25 PM
At Flag Day, Stars and Stripes still stirs passion, showing power to divide as well as unite <br />
By Adam Geller <br />
ASSOCIATED PRESS <br />
<br />
9:15 a.m. June 10, 2006 <br />
<br />
Not long after Richard Evey began flying...

thedrifter
06-11-06, 02:26 PM
Local Marines perform traditional flag retirement ceremony

It's the ultimate symbol of freedom; the Stars and Stripes. But what happens when the American flag is tattered and torn?

According the US flag code, out of service flags should be respectfully "set ablaze", by members of the military, during a traditional service.

On Saturday, men and women in the service hosted a flag retirement ceremony, and properly destroyed dozens of flags. They say the flag represents our country and the men and women of the military. "We protect that flag, and we ensure that it's held up with pride and honor; that's what we stand for," said 1st Sgt. Steven Teague. "When somebody disrespects that, or turns it upside down, you've disrespected everything that the military stands for."

Saturday's flag retirement ceremony is a yearly program sponsored by the City of Knoxville.

Ellie

sparkie
06-23-06, 10:02 PM
Hey Drifter. Whenever I go camping with the family, I have my youngest son burn a flag. Either mine or maybe a neighbors. We stand at the camp fire and remain silent till it's done. Maybe a few war stories follow, but always with respect. My son is 16 now but wants to be a Marine and maybe a fireman later. Believe me, Flag burning is not dead.

MillRatUSMC
06-24-06, 12:26 AM
A message from your American flag, I have alway cause men and women emotions to stir...because I'm the symbol of what you are or what you hope to be.
I represent the goodness in all of you...I also represent the hopes of many for a better life.
Another thing that I represent is your patriotism...you first president had this to say about the very name "American", some are native born, others have become citizens by choice.
Yet, I look at all of them as being equal in my eyes.

"The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations."
~ George Washington ~

Another son had this to say to all my American sons and daughters;

"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors."
~ Joseph Story ~

My greatest day came on 23 February 1945, when I was raised over a small distant island, named Iwo Jima.
I was small first, than somebody got the idea, that they want me to be as big , so they could see me from all the ships off-shore.
So they lowered me as another me was going up, a photo was taken of six of my sons, that were hard to identify, so that photo became the symbol of my sons known to the world as the United States Marine Corps
But it would be hard to over-look all the sacrifice by all my other sons and daughters than and now...
Some have taken to burning me as sign of protest, others have taken to wearing me as clothing.
You know, I really don't mind, because as long as they can do those things.
It means that you're still free and I still can stir emotions beyond the imagination of many.
Your American Flag