PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Important Question

DaveXIII90
06-04-06, 09:16 PM
As always, I would like to thank people before even starting. Now for the question:
I have been wondering, (this could make or break my chances of earning the title of Marine) how does one go about getting eye surgery before going to bootcamp? Many might think that I can just wear the BCG's and not worry about it, but I am one who cant see a darned thing without the glasses on my face. It is important for me to receive corrective eye surgery, for I would be putting my life and other lives in danger if my glasses were misplaced or damged in the field. Can somebody please explain to me what the Military's policy on new recruits with civilian performed eye surgery is? How would one go through the waiver process for this, what is the chance that I will be waivered, and if possible, what will allow you to receive eye surgery by the Military? Thank you all, and I hope to be one of the Proud and Few. There are so many things that I need to do in order to become a marine, I already solved many problems and discussed the ways to receive waivers for certain problems in order to be recruited- In my opinion, and I hope in many others, I think that my determination, mental strength, and loyalty to my country-not to mention my "Never say never" and " 'No?' i've never heard the word 'no' before..." attitude will lead me to becoming a Marine.

Cole11
06-04-06, 11:58 PM
Alright first of all, you wanna be a Marine, respect those of us who are and forever will be. Capitalize Marine. Here's the deal with the eye surgery, now the following information is NOT 100% I am just stating what I think the regulations are. I think that if you do in fact get eye surgery there is of course a time period that you are DQed from enlistment, this may be a matter of months. At this point I would say that all you would need was documentation that the surgery did in fact take place and that you have no side effects or complications from it, I repeat this information is NOT for sure,I am just taking a stab at it.

Marine84
06-05-06, 10:09 AM
Just out of curiosity - you said something about other waivers as well.................what for?

As far as the eye surgery - it's really not necessary unless it's just something you're wanting to do. If you do end up keeping your glasses, you'll have the "dummy cord" attached to keep you from losing them.

Camper51
06-05-06, 05:03 PM
I too would have been a handicap had I ever lost my glasses, however I was able to, and did serve for 8 years. Good luck in your quest for better eyesight. Go for it, get it, then go be a PILOT and show everyone up!!!