PDA

View Full Version : Range coaches keep combat spear-tip sharp

thedrifter
05-25-06, 07:01 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (May 24, 2006) -- Every year, regardless of military occupational specialty, Marines retain their title of rifleman and hone their shooting skills by attending the range with their unit.
With each unit is their respective range coaches, trained marksmanship experts who help 2nd Marine Logistics Group Marines improve their score and technique.

“I usually have 20 to 30 shooters a week I have to coach,” said Lance Cpl. Robert C. Owens, a range coach with Headquarters and Service Battalion, and Houma, La. native. “I always get a new batch with a whole new set of problems to fix on their shooting.”

When the coaches first get a new group of shooters, they provide refresher training for all the skills initially learn at recruit training. The coaches begin in a classroom setting, and apply them afterward by aiming in on fake targets painted on the side of a barrel.

The second week of the two week marksmanship course is actually shot on the range where the coaches help each Marine individually get their shots on target.

“Seeing Marines improve is the icing on my cake,” said Cpl. Robyn C. Pritchett, a range coach with 2nd Maintenance Battalion, and Salem, Ore., native. “Some Marines just sit down and start taking shots. They need to be reminded of the fundamentals and that is what we are here for.”

Many Marines say they appreciate the advantage of having a coach give them pointers, and the help improves their scores drastically.

“I couldn’t hit the black in the kneeling,” said Lance Cpl. Drew Blanchette, a motor transportation operator with 8th Engineer Support Battalion, and Bozeman, Mont., native, referring to the 5-point value bull’s-eye in the center of the target. “I had a breath control problem and my coach helped me get in center mast.”

Coaches say some of the common mistakes they see on the firing line range from good position to proper alignment.

“Most shooters mess up their natural point of aim,” said Pritchett. “Also their sight picture and sight alignment, they both go hand in hand.”

Having the coaches on hand makes things easier for the range safety personnel and the shooters.

“They contribute a lot to the range. With this course of fire, they need to be really hands on and they accomplish that,” said Sgt. Daniel Schuetze, a target block noncommissioned officer for B Range, Weapons Training Battalion, Marine Corps Base. “If Marines have a problem, they will be fixed right on the line instead of in the class room.”

To some of the coaches, their job means much more than just improving a Marine’s rifle score.

“The fundamentals of marksmanship you practice are more important to the Marine next to you,” said Pritchett. “When we fire our weapon in combat, we fight for the Marines next to us and for the people at home and we need to be on mark.”

Ellie