PDA

View Full Version : MCT & MOS School

DobbinsBlythe
05-23-06, 01:35 PM
Do new Marines get liberty very often at MCT? How much contact can be made between them and their families during MCT? During MOS school, can you have visitors? How often do you have time to call home from school? I heard that during MCT you are back for maybe a few days and then go back to the field for the rest of it and you won't get to call home until right before graduation. I'm just curious. Thanks.

-Maria

StefanovicN
05-23-06, 06:55 PM
Do new Marines get liberty very often at MCT? How much contact can be made between them and their families during MCT? During MOS school, can you have visitors? How often do you have time to call home from school? I heard that during MCT you are back for maybe a few days and then go back to the field for the rest of it and you won't get to call home until right before graduation. I'm just curious. Thanks.

-Maria

Depends on when you go to MCT, if your the company thats tries to squeeze in a class shortly before christmas - no, you wont get any liberty. Otherwise you get 2 weekends of liberty from start to finish.

Every MOS school is a bit different, mine allowed visitors.. but you had to sign in with a duty - etc.. The school itself was much like a 6-5 job, after your done learning, your free to go on liberty (given it isint motivating Marine Corps thursday, when alot of us field day) weekends were also off.

DobbinsBlythe
05-23-06, 08:57 PM
He's at MCT right now, will be done in appx three weeks. His MOS school is the ELINT school in Pensacola, FL. I'm hoping he gets as much liberty as possible. I'd like to be able to visit him as much as possible. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

quillhill
05-23-06, 10:05 PM
What's ELINT, DB?

My best friend's brother in law, Matt Baldwin (I apologize, Marines, that I don't know his rank...forgive me) is a helicopter flight instructor and I know he's stationed in Pensacola.

Now I really ought to e-mail my best friend's mom. Someone cybersmack my hand with a splintered ruler. Bad reporter, not having the facts straight!

Anyway, David's already at MCT ... wowza. Time sure is flying!

LivinSoFree
05-23-06, 10:45 PM
ELINT- Acronym for Electronic Intelligence.

Born Invincible
05-23-06, 10:49 PM
he only gets libo on sunday and he can't leave base...

jinelson
05-24-06, 02:08 AM
Im not sure how its done at Camp Gieger but, will back Born Invinsible up on Camp Pendleton. MCT only gets libo on Sundays and it base libo only. Marines in SOI get shore libo and make their PX runs at 52 Area on anyday but Sunday due to MCT only having Sundays to go there. The pic below is the 52 Area PX on a Sunday the Marine in civies is most likely in SOI.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/72SOI0311GANG112.jpg

DobbinsBlythe
05-24-06, 08:06 AM
I was actually under the impression, before posting, that he would maybe have ONE DAY to contact home the whole time from being in the field day in and day out. Someone else told me that Sundays were going to still be out in the field and that liberty would be VERY rare.

As for MOS school, is he allowed to have a laptop and such other things?Does it depend on the school? Sorry I'm asking so many questions. I just want to know. We finally set a date for the wedding--and I wanna make sure that we can keep in contact as much as possible. I want to be able to visit him at MOS school... if at least once or twice a month.. his Grandparents live in Navarre which is about 15 mins outside of Pensacola. They love me :D I had to work hard for them to get to know me though, but they've offered an open door policy on their home to me. lol.

Quillhill, if you're ever in that area when I'm there, we should hang out! Time really is flying by. It's difficult to deal with, David being gone, but the fact that I'm busy a lot helps tons.

I wish that someone here went to that same MOS school in the past to speak from experience. All the information given to me has been great and very helpful. Keep it comin'!

Thanks!!!!! <3

quillhill
05-24-06, 12:40 PM
DB, I e-mailed my best friend's mom last night and asked after Matt and Becky. Those two have been together forever, all through high school, college and beyond. They graduated from high school in 1992. Matt's an officer in the Corps - makes sense since he's a chopper pilot. Thanks for reminding me to ask after them. Good people, those two.

You know, a vacation Florida later this year doesn't sound like a bad idea. I've never been there. ELINT MOS school must be many months long. If he's going to be there in the fall, that's probably when our next trip will be...October maybe. Send me your e-mail in a PM.

And I suspect you won't really know how things are going to work while he's at MOS until he's been there a week or two.

DobbinsBlythe
05-24-06, 01:35 PM
If all goes well, he should be leaving MOS school towards the end of November, if not he'll be ther a little longer, but he'll be there through the fall. I will be sure to give you my email addy in a sec! I have no idea how things are going to work while he's in Pensacola, but that's why I've been posting :D Pensacola is great btw, I've been there several times. The Boardwalk was pretty much destroyed though during the last hurricane season. A lot has been rebuilt. It's not a very fast-paced beach like Miami or Cocoa or Daytona, but its still really nice. I'm so excited!

<3

AThames
05-24-06, 04:36 PM
If all goes well, he should be leaving MOS school towards the end of November, if not he'll be ther a little longer, but he'll be there through the fall. I will be sure to give you my email addy in a sec! I have no idea how things are going to work while he's in Pensacola, but that's why I've been posting :D Pensacola is great btw, I've been there several times. The Boardwalk was pretty much destroyed though during the last hurricane season. A lot has been rebuilt. It's not a very fast-paced beach like Miami or Cocoa or Daytona, but its still really nice. I'm so excited!

<3

I'm sorry for this and not to start trouble, but Daytona is far from fast paced. I'm from DB and it's only hectic during "tourist" seasons (NASCAR races, bike week, spring break). I do agree though, Pensacola is very nice. Hope everything goes well for you and your Marine.

Range Coach
05-24-06, 05:14 PM
I was stationed on Camp Geiger for 13 months back before there was an MCT, just ITS (before it was called SOI) and the only ones that had to go were the grunts. I remember that we gave the Motor T students "Cinderella liberty". They would sign out and get a liberty pass and would have to have it turned back in to the Duty NCO before midnight. There were a limited number of passes so it was first come-first served. I remember the "baby grunts" having base liberty during the week and shore liberty only on the weekends.

Born Invincible
05-24-06, 09:39 PM
...The pic below is the 52 Area PX on a Sunday the Marine in civies is most likely in SOI.

Correction the whole school is SOI but that Marine is most likely in ITB

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 08:07 AM
I thought that SOI was only for infantry, and MCT was for everyone else.... ???

Korling
05-25-06, 09:32 AM
If he is a 26xx type, he should get plenty of liberty at Pensacola. I had many friends who went through Corry Station there for SIGINT (manual Morse) and they tell me they got liberty. I was at the language school in Monterey and apart from field days and occassional duty, it was like going to college with PT every morning. Once school got out in the afternoon you were usually free to do whatever until the next morning. Same can be said when I went to Goodfellow AFB after language school (it took nearly 2 years to complete my MOS training as most linguists take a year of language and then go to Goodfellow for Cryptolinguist training for several more months).

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 09:35 AM
David's doing SIGINT. That helps a lot Korling, thanks! Is he allowed to leave base while on liberty? Since you went to the language school, I know you had to take the DLAB or something like that... when is it that you take that test? David thought you take it at Boot but found out he was wrong. My friend Paul was in the Air Force and was stationed in Monterey for the linguist school as well. Thanks for your help!!!

-Maria

Korling
05-25-06, 09:42 AM
He should be able to leave the base. He'll know as soon as he gets there. We took the DLAB the first week of bootcamp and I was screened into the language mos throughout bootcamp and was sent right to DLI in Monterey after I graduated bootcamp (that was back in 86 though). I started bootcamp in October of 1985 and didn't have an MOS and hit the fleet until September of 1987 so my first 2 years in the Corps were all MOS training. 26xx field is a good one though and he should really enjoy most things about it.

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 09:50 AM
I wonder why the DLAB wasn't taken while he was at boot... I'm going to go digging for some more research. I don't wanna bug you too much, but another problem we MIGHT have is his clearance. My mom was born in Seoul, South Korea.. I don't think she's a citizen of Korea anymore, she doesnt even regard herself as a Korean citizen, but that won't cause any problems with him getting married to me will it? I'm always so scared of some things that he brings up. I don't know... was it really difficult? I hope that he enjoys his job as much as you did. Thanks again!

Korling
05-25-06, 10:01 AM
Hard to say on the clearance nowadays, it took about 8 months before I got mine. I had done all the paperwork in bootcamp and then went to DLI (I knew a few who got pulled out of language school halfway through cause there clearances didn't go through). You had to have your clearance already to go to training at Goodfellow as all that training was classified. I would hope it all goes through ok. I spent most of my career in Korea (funny thing about being a Korean linguist in the Corps!) and still have many friends there. One of my Korean buddies came to my wedding in 2000 and a few months later the FBI came to see me about his visit, seems he was rather vague at customs about what he did in the Korean military (well he did the same job as me and probably had a higher clearance than these FBI guys did!). That was before 9/11 so who knows what triggers things nowadays.

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 10:07 AM
Cool beans! How long were you in Korea and where were you stationed? 8 Months is a long time, but I can see why. You, I think are the first person with an MOS related to David's that I've been able to speak to, so I hope you don't mind that I'm so curious about everything. I know I'm not going to get to know any details of what you did or what David's going to be doing other than the very vague ones just because of the nature of the job, but aspects of life in relation to what you do in the Marines are the biggest questions I have. I want to know what to expect, what to be prepared for, what I need to be doing now to prepare for married life to my Marine, what I'm going to need to do to support him in his endeavors. Thanks for your help again. Let me know if something else pops up that you think would be beneficial for me to know. It's greatly appreciated.

Korling
05-25-06, 10:46 AM
I was in Korea from Sept87-Apr88, again in Sept88-Apr89, again in Sept89-Apr90 and final tour was Sept90-Sept91. So total time spent was over 2-1/2 years. The first 3x was a FMF deployment out of 1st Radio Bn to the Korean DMZ, with pre-Det workup in Pyong Taek and post-Det we would deploy down to PoHang for Team Spirit each year and then head home to Hawaii. The final year was a tour at NSGA Pyong Taek (no longer a unit) at Camp Humphreys south of Seoul. 1st Radio has moved to CamPen from Hawaii and there is a 3rd Radio in Hawaii but it is not in the same location as 1st was as someone sent me a recent photo showing all our old buildings had been torn down on K-Bay.

Teg0
05-25-06, 11:04 AM

ITB (Infantry Training Batallion) is for Infantry......
MCT (Marine Combat Training) is for non-Infantry.......
SOI (School Of Infantry) Is the school were both ITB and MCT are in...SOI is the schoo, itself.......

;)

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 11:06 AM
Heh, I just missed ya! I visited in summer of 89. It was about a year after my mom got her citizenship here. I know you weren't allowed to have family with you while u were at the DMZ, but what about while you were with the other radio bns? I'm just curious. I was "warned" earlier that I'll probably spend most of my married life with David while he's in the Marines apart from him.

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 11:07 AM
ITB (Infantry Training Batallion) is for Infantry......
MCT (Marine Combat Training) is for non-Infantry.......
SOI (School Of Infantry) Is the school were both ITB and MCT are in...SOI is the schoo, itself.......

;)

thanks for the clarification!!! Now I get it! <3

Teg0
05-25-06, 11:09 AM
No problem, DobbinsBlythe.........

Korling
05-25-06, 11:14 AM
no wives up on the DMZ (except in the one case where both were Marines in the unit). The wives stayed back in Hawaii at the Radio Bn. If he goes to a Radio Bn, he will spend most of that time deployed unless he gets a billet within the Bn itself (I was at 1st Radio Bn for 3 years Sep87-Sep90 and spent only about 10 total months actually there just to give you an idea, while those that held billets stuck around for a year or two). If he ends up going to a Marine Cryptologic Support Battalion Company, it would just depend on where he goes as to whether spouse can go along, most of those assignment do allow you to bring a spouse/family with you as the one in NSGA Pyong Taek did. I was never married while in though so it was a lot easier for me to deal with. You should check out Sgt. Grit's Marine forum if you haven't already, its at www.grunt.com/forum (http://www.grunt.com/forum). It's free and they have a LOT of Marine wives/girlfriends on their with their own forums and you can get all kinds of support and assistance there.

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 11:30 AM
ok, i'm going to sound dumb.. what is a billet?

Korling
05-25-06, 11:39 AM
Billet is a job title basically. At the Radio Bn's, its like being in a job pool of 26xx types. If they some SIGINT bodies somewhere, they go through the roster and pull out names that are available to go in the right MOSs and you go. Its a lot of waiting around to be deployed. That is unless you hold a billet. Our company had a logistics area and one Sgt got the billet of running that (he didn't deploy then, just sat his desk in the log area) We had a training area where we would have to go and listen to language tapes so many hours a week and there were Marines that held billets in those areas as well as the various "desks" that kept us all up to date on the latest Intel as that was our job. If you were assigned a billet, (it could even be just a company clerk position) you usually didn't deploy unless your billet had to go with a deployment (as if the whole company deployed together, the clerk was going to go to!)

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 01:12 PM
In other words, I'd better find a way to deal and QUICK with him being gone for long periods of time... frequently.

PFTstud
05-25-06, 04:23 PM
What kind of things happen in MARINE Combat Training?

DobbinsBlythe
05-25-06, 04:53 PM
"You learn how to kill.. again... only HARDER"

David said something about learning to shoot the "big guns" I'm taking it to mean .50 cal Machine guns, bazooka type things, field training.. etc. Everyone else should be able to elaborate a lot more than me. ;)

Born Invincible
05-26-06, 05:24 PM

SOI stands for the School of Infantry and MCT stands for Marine Combat Training, ITB is Infantry Training Battalion

ITB is the school for infantrymen and MCT is the school for non Infantry.

SOI is a regiment ITB and MCT are battalions

DobbinsBlythe
05-26-06, 05:41 PM
I got a letter from him today!!!! He got to Camp Geiger at 1900 Monday night. He's not really going to get to call me on weekends at all. He said that 18/22 of the days he's got at MCT are going to be in the field. Even if he can't get mail everyday, I'm going to write to him. I'm sure it'll help him cope. He said that it's a very old and worn out base. Most of the others there with him are going through separation anxiety. I'm so happy that I got a letter! Now I understand a little more. Thanks everyone for your help! Any other information of what he's going through at MCT will be GREATLY appreciated, and also, if anyone else has experience with the ELINT or SIGINT MOS and MOS school, let me know! I'm curious about everything, and I want to be there for David as much as possible! Thanks!!!

God Bless!!!!!
<3

Born Invincible
05-26-06, 05:52 PM
"You learn how to kill.. again... only HARDER"

David said something about learning to shoot the "big guns" I'm taking it to mean .50 cal Machine guns, bazooka type things, field training.. etc. Everyone else should be able to elaborate a lot more than me. ;)

ha ha they are probably showing him how to shoot the machineguns. I think the students don't actually get to shoot them anymore (anything above the M240g) but they do get classes.

micah24
05-28-06, 05:11 PM
He will probably get to call you twice from out in the field. In the field they get "liberty" on two Sundays, which isn't really liberty. They basically get one hour with 5 different stations. One station is eating a hot meal. One is
doing a police call (cleaning up trash). One is buying stuff from a PX (which is basically a very small trailor). One is a study station where they study for upcoming exams. And finally one is a phone call station. Be warned that he will only get about 5 minutes on these pay phones, and these pay phones are in such bad shape that he will spend about 3 of the 5 minutes trying to get the thing to dial 1-800-collect correctly, so he can make a call utilizing his debit card. Then they will get a final liberty when they get back to Camp Geiger, which lasts around 2 hours I believe. He'll get a chance to call you then too. He'll also get the opportunity to email you then too if he wishes. There is some family that shows up for the final liberty and graduation, but hardly any. Most likely he won't get any of your letters while he is in the field. He'll probably get back to Camp Geiger and one day before he graduates he'll get like 5 letters from you at one time. At MOS school he'll be able to have his cell phone and call you all he wants after 4:30 p.m. On weekends he'll get off-base liberty.

I got a letter from him today!!!! He got to Camp Geiger at 1900 Monday night. He's not really going to get to call me on weekends at all. He said that 18/22 of the days he's got at MCT are going to be in the field. Even if he can't get mail everyday, I'm going to write to him. I'm sure it'll help him cope. He said that it's a very old and worn out base. Most of the others there with him are going through separation anxiety. I'm so happy that I got a letter! Now I understand a little more. Thanks everyone for your help! Any other information of what he's going through at MCT will be GREATLY appreciated, and also, if anyone else has experience with the ELINT or SIGINT MOS and MOS school, let me know! I'm curious about everything, and I want to be there for David as much as possible! Thanks!!!

God Bless!!!!!
<3

maureensmom
05-28-06, 09:39 PM
Maria
My daugher just completed MCT at Camp Geiger. BTW - she said that those 3 weeks were worse than Boot at PI! :evilgrin: But, she got through it! She was able to receive letters from me, but they did not have time to write back. I did not hear from her once.

She did take her cell phone with her, though it was confiscated at the start, she did get it back on Libery Sunday right before Graduation. That's when I got the first call. They let her come home for her 2 week RA postion on Monday - so she actually missed the grad ceremony.

She will be leaving for her MOS at Little Creek VA at the end of this week after walking with her HS Grad class for graduation ceremonies. Andy they are letter her wear her dress blues! :marine:

She is taking her cell phone and a laptop comuter, which they can use. I've been emailing with her boyfriend while he's been at Little Creek and he has use of his phone there as well.

Hope this information helps!

PMM Joanne of PFC Maureen:usmc:
MRDPI 4/21/06, Papa Co, PLT 4013
MCT Camp Geiger, 5/22/06
Little Creek VA, Musi Detachment

maureensmom
05-28-06, 09:45 PM
If anyone if interested in taking a look - here is a link to the MCT training schedule. It is JAMMED PACKED!! Maureen told me that their meals pretty much "sucked".
:evilgrin:
http://www.mudmarine.net/files/forming_day.htm

If anyone has trouble with this link, let me know.

VPMM Joanne

Teg0
05-29-06, 12:10 AM
Maria My daugher just completed MCT at Camp Geiger. BTW - she said that those 3 weeks were worse than Boot at PI! :evilgrin: But, she got through it! She was able to receive letters from me, but they did not have time to write back. I did not hear from her once. She did take her cell phone with her, though it was confiscated at the start, she did get it back on Libery Sunday right before Graduation.

Well MCT is physically harder than boot camp.....But the mental factor isn't there like it is in boot camp... It is very stressfull, especially because you go there expecting to have freedom, but are for the most part treated like a recruit....and sleep is deprived a lot, for the most part we would hit the rack anywhere between 2-3 hrs after we were scheduled to....it was mostly our instructors just playing games with us.. Wow, we were allowed to keep our cell phones during MCT, but were only able to use them on sunday when we were on libo... We were also allowed electronics like Ipods and PSP's....

micah24
05-30-06, 02:54 PM
Well MCT is physically harder than boot camp.....

You can't be serious.

DobbinsBlythe
06-07-06, 11:19 PM
obviously I don't believe that either. I received a phone call the first sunday David was at MCT. I've written him about seven letters, but I can't find the strength to mail them. I'm too scared of making him worried about me because some really crazy stuff happened that involves where I live... and possibly having to move our wedding date up to ASAP instead of January. I think that MCT is being a little more mentally challenging for David than Boot. I got a total of 10 mins to speak to him which was great. He said that they had cellphones out in the middle of the woods that they were allowed to use temporarily or something.. Either way, I was really happy to hear from him. He said that he and the others were suffering from severe separation anxiety. I didn't shed a tear from him being gone until I got that call. I can't wait to be able to see him again. The first weekend he's at MOS school I'm going to take a drive down to see him. Hopefully I can find my ID by then. It got lost in the move. I think my roommate might have tried to steal it, thinking she can get on base, not realizing she doesn't have a decal. :: sigh :: Oh well. I guess I'll get to talk to David again this Sunday. I'll have to try to recap everything to him then and find out his decision on what to do. I'm positive I made the right decision, I just want him to understand. I'm probably confusing everyone. I'm going to go to bed.

DobbinsBlythe
07-29-06, 10:29 AM
Ok here's an update----

"MCT is like the crucible.. every day. All we had to eat were MREs. It was so mentally stressful. Everyone's first few days were spent enduring separation anxiety from being yanked away from home again."

David came back from Camp Geiger and went to Corry Station in Pensacola...

at MOS school he gets liberty every weekend he's not on duty or secured from bad room inspections (which means you need to stay CLEAN). He's only been secured once, which is ok b/c that means I can come and visit him nearly every-every other weekend (as often as my wallet permits) He got a bump up from 2631 to 2651 and he's loving it. I LOVE IT too lol! It's great also because he lives so close to his grandparents, who really need him right now. He has time now to really get to know others and make a lot of new and interesting friends. I get to talk to him all the time. Planning the wedding is SO much easier, (still ridiculously stressful).

Oh yeah, obviously, the Marines at Corry Station are all involved in extra curricular activities.. like volleyball teams and bowling teams.. It's really nice to know that.

The date is set for January 6th, 2007 (wedding date). I can't wait.

What MOS school is like for those intel boys in Pensacola:
Wake up EARLY, PT, chow, Class, chow, Class, probably mandatory study after class unless you're a smarty-pants like David ^_^, then go home, CLEAN (if you know what's good for you), and STUDY (another thing that's VERY necessary to keeping your job), watch tv, play x-box, call home, call friends, go out, eat, do whatever, .... etc. Doesn't seem too bad to me. Probably different for most of the rest of the Corps, but hey, I figured since I had so many quetions, I'd bring this back up and share what I've learned at least.

Much Love!

Korling
07-31-06, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the update, keep me posted. Once he's earned his 2651, he's eligible to join our Yahoo group from 2600s, we have a few 51s on there (mostly from the 1980s but at least one that served more recently).

BEBurnside
08-01-06, 12:58 PM
I saw that Korling said he was a linguist. I've already taken the DLAB and my recruiter said that I'll be able to learn any of the languages according to my score. Do you think that I'll have to take it again in boot camp? Also, when do you think I might find out what language I will be learing? I also had a few other questions about life in the fleet as a linguist, if it is not too much trouble. Is it like a normal 9-5 job, or is it more like shiftwork and you might have to work nights or something like that? I was also wondering about how fast/slow promotions are as a Marine linguist.

Thanks,
Poolee Burnside

BEBurnside
08-01-06, 01:09 PM
I forgot one question. What kind of opportunities do you have to take college classes while in the fleet?

Thanks

fiasco1371
08-01-06, 01:11 PM
I went through MCT at Camp Pendleton in 02 and we got Sundays. Usually. You should be able to visit him then. There is a beach nearby and you can grill there, so it's not that bad. He should get weekends off at his MOS school.

Korling
08-01-06, 01:51 PM
Bradley,

Can't attest to whether you will have to take DLAB in boot camp or not (my entire platoon did the first week there.)
As to finding out language, I found out towards the end of boot camp. Promotions for the most part are rapid as linguists often tend to get out after there first enlistment and they are always in short supply (although once you hit E-6 it may slow down).
As for day-to-day, it all depends on (a) your duty assignment and (b) your language. If you go to a Radio Battalion, your day-to-day in garrison is training (M-F days) until you deploy. Deployments can be whole unit down to small teams attached to MEUs. On deployments/detachments your schedule would depend on where and what you were doing. My annual detachment to the Korean DMZ we worked a 9-2-4 rotation, you worked 9 days in the mountains at an outsite, 2 days back at HQ base pulling duty and then got a 96 (4 day) liberty. If you go to a Marine Support Battalion Co. (Now Marine Cryptologic Support Bn), again it will depend on where and what you are doing but that is usually shift work, like 6 days, then 2 days off, 6 eves then 2 days off, then 6 mids then 2 days off etc. Sometimes you go to Port Starboard watches where you are on 12 and off 12. There you might be sitting a desk or a live pos (again, it all depends).
At the Support Bns, you will have more of an opportunity for college than at the Radio Bns as you are less likely to deploy from there (although, if you are a language they need and are short bodies at a Radio Bn, they will draw augmentees out of the Support Bns). I know a few who got a few classes in at Radio Bns, but those were people who got a billet (a desk job in the SCIF or something like that where they didn't deploy for a year).
I did my college after I got out and the language school alone was a huge help (it equated to something like 20 credit hours towards my AA so I got that in 3 semesters and it also counted toward the foriegn language requirements for my BA so I didn't have to waste credit hours/time/money on taking those classes!) I have since added an MA as well, so I wouldn't worry much about getting college (I did have a Korling buddy who stayed in for his 20 years and retired recently. He did find time to complete an MA while he was on Active Duty so it is possible)

BEBurnside
08-01-06, 05:43 PM
Thank you very much!! :) All of the information was very helpful, and the part about your buddy going career and also getting his master's was very reassuring since a career is one of the possibilities that I'm leaning toward the most. Again, it was very enlightening, thanks.

DobbinsBlythe
08-02-06, 11:18 PM
I went through MCT at Camp Pendleton in 02 and we got Sundays. Usually. You should be able to visit him then. There is a beach nearby and you can grill there, so it's not that bad. He should get weekends off at his MOS school.

We've already established that. At MCT, he had only two days that he could call, and one day of libo that was really just for px call.

MOS school, as long as you do well on room inspections and don't have mandatory study or duty, you'll get your weekends pretty much free. I visit David almost if not every other weekend or MORE. 5.5 hour drives from Alabama to florida end up being PRETTY fast for me now b/c I get to see my sweetie. I think he may be the only single Marine at correy station that has a visitor that often. Pretty funny though, b/c my car decal (b/c my father was Army) is blue b/c all of them at Redstone Aresenal are (where I am) the Marines on gate duty were asking if I was an officer. Just something interesting. Anyway, I don't know why David didn't get to take the DLAB, does anyone know why he wouldn't have? Is it a test you have to ask for?
-Maria

Teufelshunde
08-17-07, 04:29 AM
how long is MCT?

Fubar5812
08-17-07, 01:38 PM
I heard 3 weeks,can any marines clarify?

Teufelshunde
08-17-07, 01:44 PM
i heard 14 days.

steamin3demon
08-17-07, 02:31 PM
MCT is around 21 days......and its for new Marines not going into the infantry field....thats what i was told..