PDA

View Full Version : Have a question

hunt man09
05-22-06, 03:38 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell what it is like to be part of the artillery. I am thinking about joining the Marines and I thought it would be cool to go in to the artillery MOS. Thanks to anyone who responds.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-06, 03:43 PM
You don't have to walk, you play with big guns, and go to MOS school on an Army base in the great state of Oklahoma. If I had it all to over again, I'd be a cannon cocker.

jetty546
05-22-06, 03:57 PM
This question is for any marines out there since i can't post anything on any other boards. Why are you so harsh on eachother and on us poolees? I realize we have not yet earned the title, but do we not deserve at least a very small amount of respect for stepping up to the challange of earning the title MARINE. Also what is with calling us wannabes? I actually had one friend who decieded against the marines after reading a post where a PFC labeled poolees as wannabes. My friend's line of reasoning was if the newest marines can't even remember where they reciently came from and at least acknowledge that, then how bad is the rest of the corps. I don't agree with this reasoning, but he has a valid point.
I know this is going to upset some marines out there, and im sure i will get a few emails telling me to go join the navy, but this is how i feel. Im not a whining wannabe, and i know how to take some knocks, so please don't try to tell me I'll never make it in the corps. Its been my dream since i was 8, I want it more than I've ever wanted anything, and am willing to bleed for it. I know recruit training is going to kick my ass, and thats fine, but please don't talk down to me just because i haven't had the chance to prove myself yet. I mean no disrespect to any marines. I have more respect for you than you will ever know. Thanks for listenin' to my rant.
Semper Fi!
Poolee J.J. Jetty
Tucson:flag:

outlaw3179
05-22-06, 04:07 PM
First off Capitalize the word Marine... Second off , if you cant take Marines correcting you, teaching you, or chewing your ass over the internet , how the fuk are you going to take the **** you get from your Drill Instuctor when your standing tall on the yellow footprints. I understand your friends probably a pussy and cant handle some critiscism , but its ok. Marines are that way , when you earn the Title you will understand why Marines are the way they are. We dont have time to mince words, or to be politically correct or stroke you until you have a warm and fuzzy. Were in the business of making Marines and winning battles. I hope this harsh little email doesnt hurt your feelings and you go cry yourself to sleep, but thats the way it is. If you cant take some **** over the internet , how are you going to take it when a Drill Instuctor is knee deep in your ****????????????

and what the hell does your lack of testicular fortitude have to do with being a powder monkey? how about starting a new thread.

Brooklyn
05-22-06, 04:31 PM
and go to MOS school on an Army base

Is that a pro or a con?

This question is for any marines out there since i can't post anything on any other boards

Kinda random for you to post that in this thread...You better get used to being called a wannabe. The D.I.s are gonna call you far worse. ( pssst, they may even use profanity! :scared: )

We dont have time to mince words,

Funny story. My fiance's cousin is a Marine. He was a Drill Instructor. She was talking to him about it and made the mistake of calling him a Drill Sgt. Her loving cousin almost tore her a new one. It was hillarious!

Phantom Blooper
05-22-06, 04:44 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>wan&#183;na&#183;be (plural wan&#183;na&#183;bes)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=ResultBody>

noun

</TD></TR><TR height=20><TD height=20></TD></TR><TR><TD class=ResultBodyBlack>Definition:</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD>somebody emulating somebody else: somebody who tries to be like somebody else or to belong to a specific group ( informal disapproving )

</TD></TR><TR><TD>[Late 20th century. Alteration of want to be]

Since poo lees aren't Marines they wanna-be-one! Sorta Ebonics for want to be one of the few the proud the Marines.

Respect for the most part is given when a question is asked that makes sense or has substantial merit. A question that is asked twenty times and a "want-to-be" does not want to look the answer up his or her self does not want to be a Marine to badly.

In retrospect if you poolees,depers and wannabees were parents and you told you son or daughter to do something or the simple way to do it and they argued with you and basically told you I'm 14-21 YEARS OLD! I been around the block! I know what the hell I'm talking about,and you don't know nuttin', would you say alright Johnny your right,I was too harsh on you lets go have an ice cream and discuss this like adults. I don't think so....!

Maybe in today's society with the time out corners and my child wouldn't do that mentality. In the Marine Corps it's different if one comes in makes it through boot and continues with that attitude they are usually found out and weeded out fairly quickly.Harsh???

We as Marines have earned the title of Marine by going to bootcamp and earning the Eagle,Globe and Anchor. This is not only a title it is a lifestyle. To serve proudly in the Marine Corps you must have the mindset and intestinal fortitude to bring it up from down south past the groin muscles into the heart and then a direct hit into the brain housing group! This will stay with you to the grave and your legacy will be past down in the ages.

A Marine that is "harsh" with Poolees and wannabees is looking out for their welfare or for the Marines interest and his or her love for the Marine Corps! It's a Marine thing. This you have a pretty good understanding of by going to recruiters and DEP functions but the full effect won't hit you until you walk across that parade grinder and you feel it coming up from you ass to your heart and you are filled with "Semper-Fi Heart" pride!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-06, 05:03 PM
Brooklyn, it is a pro when the base happens to be in Oklahoma, and you're from Oklahoma.

Jetty, to begin, you need to realize you don't deserve squat for signing up to be a Marine. There are plenty of people that sign that contract and yet never become Marines. But note, nobody is forcing me, or any other Marine, to try and help you all out. We get nothing for spending our time trying to help you all be better prepared than we were. (For a lot of us, the internet wasn't around when we enlisted. Remember, websites like this are a new thing in the overall scheme of things.)
As for your friend that decided against being a Marine because of a post on a message board, I say good! We don't need people that are so weak as to have their future changed by what someone says in an online forum. More importantly, YOU WANT TO BE A MARINE, YOU ARE NOT A MARINE-- THUS YOU ARE A "WANNABE". If that gets you bent out of shape, you've got some other issues to work on.
Phantom Blooper did a good job of explaining to you why it is we are harsh with wannabes. Simply put, we know what it is to be a Marine, you do not. So, instead of acting like a child and complainign about the way people treat you, try to be thankful that so many Marines would give of themselves to make your path easier.

As for why we're harsh with one another, it is because we can be. Pick out any Marine on this site and say something bad about them. You will see that we stick together, it is a family thing. We're like brothers and sisters, we may not always get along, but nobody from the outside is going to mess with one of our own.

jetty546
05-22-06, 05:34 PM
Thank you, and that not being patronizing. I know I've got alot to learn, and i didn't mean to sound like an ass, which im sure i did. (To Brooklyn, i am quite aware of the colorful language of Drill Instructors, and like I said before I welcome the challange.) I didn't mean to say you all were to "harsh" i realize that it is a way of preparing us, there are several recruiters here in Tucson who use a similar method at our pool functions.
like i said i didn't mean to ruffel anyones feathers, and i am the last on to "mince words" or be "politically correct". I was just soundin' off with a question. Oh and to Phantom Blooper this was my of "looking up" the answer to my questin.
P.s. sorry about not capitalizing Marine, that was a ****up on my part.

jetty546
05-22-06, 06:10 PM
[/quote]and what the hell does your lack of testicular fortitude have to do with being a powder monkey? how about starting a new thread.[/quote]

HUH?

outlaw3179
05-22-06, 06:30 PM
huh...dont sit there with dumbass look on your face....go look it up.

AmyG
05-22-06, 07:51 PM
Also what is with calling us wannabes?

Well, "wannabe" is short for "want to be." I "want to be" a Marine. Therefore, I am a "wannabe." Until I am a Marine, I "want to be" a Marine.

jetty546
05-22-06, 08:32 PM
Everytime i have heard the term wannabe used, it was with the conotation of someone who FALSLY IMITATES someone/thing because they cannont themselves be it. I for one would never, nor would want to imitate a Marine. If you are using it with a different meaning please let me know.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-06, 08:46 PM
You have been told what it means when we say it. Feel free to read the replies that people have posted to you.

jetty546
05-22-06, 08:54 PM
ok I understand what ya'll are trying to say. Im a wannabe unitl Sept. 15.

Marine84
05-22-06, 09:01 PM
Oh God! Not ANOTHER one that thinks he's at freakin Burger King!

jetty546
05-22-06, 09:04 PM
jesus, what did i do this time?

Phantom Blooper
05-22-06, 09:04 PM
Now that you understand that. You hijacked the original question posted by hunt man09 instead of starting another to ask your question. I believe that is where outlaw is coming from. A powder monkey is slang for artillery as grunt is for infantry etc. But I would strongly advise not to call a Marine on this site or anywhere by the slang term until you forgo your wannabee status and pin on that eagle,globe and anchor!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

jetty546
05-22-06, 09:08 PM
I know im sorry about that. i just don't get on here very often, so i don't konw how to start a new thread, so i did what i knew how to do, don't worry i'll try not to say anything else stupid.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-06, 09:11 PM
Jetty, do us all a favor. Calm down, and think before you hit the post button. The Marines on this site want to help you, they really do. But, those in charge have set up a few guidelines for you to...

jetty546
05-22-06, 09:15 PM
I honestly am sorry, my intent was not to be a smart ass. I seriously don't really know what im doin here. I do realize that ya'll are trying to help me and weather it seems like it or not i appreciate it. Also im sorry if i sounded like i wanted to be coddled, i know that will do me no good, it is also why i decided to join the Marine Corps. Like I said earlier I have more respect for all of you than you can ever know.