PDA

View Full Version : Experience in Marines led McMeans back to football

thedrifter
05-22-06, 02:59 PM
Experience in Marines led McMeans back to football
May 22, 2006
By Larry Mayer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Every Bears rookie traversed a different path to the NFL, but no one experienced a more interesting or unusual journey than guard Tyler McMeans.

After playing just one season of high school football, the undrafted free agent spent four life-altering years in the Marines before returning to the gridiron first at Lackawanna Junior College in Scranton, Pa., and then later at the University of Miami.

McMeans, now 26 years old, entered the Marines Corps following his 1998 graduation from Clarion Area High School near his home in tiny Shippenville, Pa., a town of just over 500 residents.

Having only played his senior season at a small high school, McMeans attracted little interest from Division I recruiters and would have initially been academically ineligible to play anyway.

"My grades in high school were horrible," conceded the 6-4, 329-pounder. "I just didn't take it seriously and I didn't realize the importance of it."

McMeans' life began to change when he went through boot camp in Parris Island, S.C.

"It was quite the adventure," he said. "Their goal there is to break everyone down and then build you back up as a team so you're all one. That's not how it is everywhere, but it has to be like that in the military.

"The physical part is tough, but you get better and get in better shape every day."

After basic training, McMeans was stationed in North Carolina, Virginia and Washington before being shifted to Japan, where he participated in cold weather training in mountain terrain.

"It was pretty cool because we trained with the Japanese military there," he said. "I had never skied in my life before that. It was a great experience, learning about a different culture."

With his military commitment about to expire, McMeans decided that he wanted to resume his football career. He had gained maturity and self-confidence in the Marines and was in the best shape of his life. But he knew that he couldn't just step into a Division I program and play.

Helped by his sister, Juliana, who researched his options, McMeans sent an e-mail from Japan to Lackawanna head coach Mark Duda seeking an opportunity. McMeans ultimately enrolled at Lackawanna and immediately emerged as a contributor both on and off the field.

"He was extremely coachable," Duda said. "We're not accustomed to 23-year-old guys in our program. We (typically) have 18- and 19-year-old kids. He was a fully mature guy who lived in the dorm with us, which was fantastic for our players. He could tolerate the young guys and help them as well, and that's not an easy thing to do.

"He was a pleasure to be around. He was a kid who kind of started with a blank slate, to be honest with you, and little football knowledge. But he has a great work ethic and a great motor."

A two-time junior college All-American following, McMeans accepted a scholarship from Miami in 2004. After starting six games for the Hurricanes as a junior, he started all 12 games and was selected as the team's most improved player as a senior.

"He's one of the most resilient people you're ever going to meet," Duda said. "Some people complain through things. Tyler McMeans works through things. He literally grinds through stuff. He often tells me, 'Coach, I've never had an easy path,' and he never has.

"It'll be the same with the Chicago Bears. He's not a second-round draft choice. He's going to have to go and bang it out and work and do all those kind of things to be seen and recognized. Obviously he's got to take the tough path again."

That's no problem for McMeans, whose father, Hunter, played high school football with former Bears linebacker Doug Buffone in western Pennsylvania. The young lineman chose to sign with the Bears in part because he appreciated their honestly during the draft process.

"I think it was the best situation for me," he said. "They showed a little bit of interest in giving me a chance. They realize that I'm raw. But I think if I work hard I can give myself a chance. I'm only going to go up. I'm not maxed out my any means. I've hardly played any football.

"I think from here I can only get better and they've realized that from the get-go. It's not like they were blind to that. Them knowing that and me knowing that, everyone's on the same page and it's just up to me to come in here and work my (butt) off. From here on out, it's up to me."

Ellie