PDA

View Full Version : Marine’s story exposes division

thedrifter
05-21-06, 08:09 AM
Posted on Sun, May. 21, 2006
Marine’s story exposes division
Bush sees example of immigrants’ value; others see crux of problem
McClatchy News Service

WASHINGTON — In last week’s address to the nation on immigration, President Bush highlighted the patriotism of Guadalupe Denogean, a Mexican-born man who joined the Marines more than a quarter century ago and got his wish for U.S. citizenship in 2003 after being seriously wounded in Iraq.

To the president, Denogean’s story illustrates why America should continue to embrace immigrants with something to offer this country.

“When this brave Marine raised his right hand and swore an oath to become a citizen of the country he had defended for more than 26 years, I was honored to stand at his side,” Bush said of the retired master gunnery sergeant from Southern California, now 45, who says his hearing and memory were permanently damaged when his vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.

But to the critics who say there already are too many immigrants here, the story of how the Denogean family settled in the United States is a different sort of parable — a cautionary tale about the true footprint of guest-worker programs billed as limited or temporary.

Three generations later, what began as one temporary guest-worker slot for Denogean’s father has morphed into citizenship — by naturalization or birthright — for 32 immediate relatives and descendants.

That history might be relevant now, as Congress debates an immigration bill that could open the door to hundreds of thousands of new guest workers — and, ultimately, millions of immigrants’ relatives.

“It’s not just the guest worker,” said Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican from Southern California who is one of the staunchest opponents of relaxing immigration policy. “Every person you permit in has brothers and sisters who are married to someone who has brothers and sisters who are married to someone. ... The figures are a bit mind-boggling if we don’t act responsibly now.”

The 1986 Immigration Reform and Control Act likewise opened the doors to relatives of immigrants. Those amnesty provisions, now criticized for spurring more illegal immigration, resulted in an estimated 2.7 million immigrants becoming legal U.S. permanent residents.

The Congressional Budget Office estimates the immigration bill now being considered by the Senate could result in 2 million additional family-sponsored immigrants by 2016. Some conservative critics have pegged the 20-year implications of such legislation much higher — at 100 million or more immigrants.

Denogean “obviously has made a huge contribution to our country by serving us and protecting us,” Rohrabacher said. “When it comes to the immigrants themselves, I have nothing but praise for 95 percent of them for being good people. However, my job is not to represent all the good people of the world. My job is to represent the interests of my district and the United States of America.”

Denogean said he does not support illegal immigration but that he does support allowing foreigners who come here as guest workers to stay.

“Why not?” he said. “I’m not supporting them. You’re not supporting them.

“This is what it boils down to: If somebody comes here on a guest-worker program and brings their family, how can you send them back?” he said. “Are you going to keep the kids that are American citizens and send them back if they’re not? See where we’re going to run into problems?”

Ellie