PDA

View Full Version : DI receives Navy Cross for extraordinary bravery in Iraq

thedrifter
05-20-06, 07:28 AM
MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C.(May 18, 2006) -- The Marine Corps has a long tradition of excellence in the line of duty. Marines stretching from 1775 to present times are recognized and remembered for their selfless acts and quick thinking on and off the battlefield. On May 12, another Marine was recognized for his actions.

Sergeant Jeremiah Workman, a drill instructor with Delta Company, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion and Richwood, Va., native, received the Navy Cross, second in prestige only to the Medal of Honor, during the recruit graduation ceremony at Peatross Parade Deck May 12, for actions while on deployment in Fallujah, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2004.

According to Workman's Navy Cross citation, he was awarded for extraordinary heroism, while serving as a squad leader for the Mortar Platoon, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division, Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Workman, exemplifying the old adage "no man left behind," repeatedly exposed himself to a hail of enemy fire to retrieve isolated Marines trapped inside an insurgent-infested building.

Ignoring heavy enemy fire and a storm of grenades raining down on his position, Workman fearlessly laid down enough cover fire to allow the trapped Marines to escape.

After seeing the first group of wounded Marines safely to a neighboring yard, Workman rallied additional Marines to his side and provided more cover fire for an attack into the building to rescue other Marines still trapped. He continued to fire even after receiving numerous shrapnel wounds to his arms and legs after a grenade exploded in front of him, stated his citation.

Workman's efforts did not stop after the second rescue attack. Ignoring his wounds, Workman once again united his team for a final assault strike into the building to retrieve remaining Marines and to clear the building of insurgents.

"Basically, we got ambushed," said Workman. "There were insurgents on the second floor in a bedroom. We fought our way up the stairs. There were grenades going off around us [and] small arms fire everywhere."

During the course of the fight, Workman was responsible for the elimination of more than 20 insurgents.

The Navy Cross may be awarded to any person who, while serving with the Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard during a time of war, distinguishes himself in action by extraordinary heroism.

According to SECNAVINST 1650.1 G, the action had to occur "while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing force in which the United States is not a belligerent party."

The directive also states that the action had to take place "in the presence of great danger or at great personal risk and must be performed in such a manner that sets the individual apart from his or her shipmates or fellow Marines."

While Workman's citation states he "reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps," Workman does not dwell on the fact that he is a Navy Cross recipients. All that matters in the long run are the lives lost and saved during the war, he said.

"The first thing I thought about was all the Marines we lost over there," Workman said, reflecting on that fateful day. "I don't look at myself as being any different. I did what any other Marine would have done. There are thousands of other Marines over there [in the Middle East] that deserve to be awarded, too."

Workman's modesty is evident to his fellow Marines here as well.

"I have a lot of respect for Sergeant Workman," said Staff Sgt. Jeff Moses, operations chief for Delta Company, 2nd Recruit Training Battalion. "He's been very humble about everything. [What he did] is just amazing."

Workman, who is scheduled to transfer to a new duty station soon, says two prospects he is looking forward to are possibly being stationed at Marine Barracks "8th and I" in Washington, or at an Inspector-Instructor staff billet where he will use his experiences to help train Reserve Marines.

Ellie