PDA

View Full Version : Prior service....

bugs
05-09-06, 06:59 PM
Ummm, not sure what to expect here, I am in the process of contacting my local prior service recuriter, but a few thoughts/questions first....
I have been out since 07141996, was attached to H&S co.'s STA Plt. This is a Reserve unit, and I did not earn the title of 8541. I was only attached to that unit.
Now, this is where it gets even hairer......I am scheduled for a fusion on my neck verterbre next month. A full recovery is expected. I will also be 36 in October of this year.
I am just looking for thoughts prior to contacting my prior service recuriter!

Thanks my brothers!

Phantom Blooper
05-09-06, 07:18 PM
With no disrespect..forget it. Your age may not disqualify you since they are are trying to enlist and reenlist older military members. But I have serious doubts that the Marines would take you back with the fusion operation to your neck. Contact the prior service recruiting branch. They would be able to give better feedback. But age plus that type of medical problems ='s no in my opine. Strictly my opine. Whatever happens,Good Luck to you!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

bugs
05-15-06, 01:30 PM
No disrespect taken........BUT....
I couldnt let it go...........
Contact has been established with my local PSR. After the completion of the surgery, and after recovery time, if there are NO LIMITATIONS - which is what I have been told I wouldnt have - then I would be good to go! It takes a few months (2 to 3) to get all the necessary info from HQMC anyways, so please keep your fingers crossed, I really want this:banana: ! I'll have to buy virtually all new uni's as well, money that I couldnt think of anything better to spend on right about now!

Phantom Blooper
05-15-06, 02:34 PM
Good to go. If all works out I'm glad for you! Don't know about you but I have had bone operations over the years and I was told by the sawbones no limitations until after you wake up from under the knife and they get their payment... but I found after the age of 40 "ALL" took on the arthritis and weather barometer syndrome. If you can do it by all means go for it good luck!
Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

bugs
05-15-06, 02:39 PM
SSgt,
Thanks for looking out for me....I fully understand where you are comming from in letting me know your experiences.....As for being under the knife, this will be my first (and hopefully ONLY) time. I know howw doc's do have a way of, ummmm how do I say this....LYING!, but I am only praying that this one actually works out how they say it will......Once I get back in I will cross-train into another MOS, not too sure what one yet, but I think I will have to steer clear of the 03 field, maybe support it in Motor T.....Had a hummer lincense before, so......

Thanks again SSgt!

Semper Fi

bugs
05-15-06, 03:26 PM
I feel like a 17 year old (actually 35 but the Corp looks at me like im 29) wana be again - But probablly worse because I know what is in store for me and how much I do miss it.....Too many reasons to tell why I didnt stay in!

Learn from this Recruits - once you earn the title, and your time is about up, BE SURE OF WHAT YOU WANT!

3531marine
05-15-06, 05:32 PM
Bug's I Had A Lameneckomy At C5 C6 They Said I'ed Be 100% 3-4 Month's .here I Am 13 Month Later Light Duty With A20 Pound Lift Restriction. I Had One Of The Best Dr's In Thes Part's . Today I'm On Disabilty Don't Believe All That Stuff They Tell You Mike

bugs
05-16-06, 05:39 AM
3531, i fully understand your reasonings for telling me this.....especially since the L-Spine is generally an easier surgery to have performed. I am still strong headed and believe that I will in fact be the minority after this surgery - I'm going in for a 2nd opinion this afternoon, hoping that just rehab will remove the small amount of swelling that I have!

But, thank-you again and take care my brother.............

Phantom Blooper
05-16-06, 07:16 AM
bugs,check out this website it may give you some insight.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil

bugs
05-16-06, 07:20 AM
Thanks, I have just linked there and will surf after this quick response...I have been 'digging' all morning trying to find some ligit info on this subject! I went thru all the secnav's I could find, now I'll look at this one you provided me with!

Thanks again.....

cplbrooks
06-10-06, 08:57 PM
you will also need an off contract waiver for the time out of contract. This can also take several months.

bugs
06-12-06, 06:21 AM
I was told about the request, but it played into everything that i need at this point - by the time i am fully recovered all my paperwork should be together and I should be able to take PASS my physical!

Sixguns
06-12-06, 10:05 AM
Your age and the medical procedure will do you in as far as any waiver is concerned. Now, the National Guard or Army Reserve may be an option.

bugs
06-12-06, 10:15 AM
Sixguns,
As far as my age goes, I am looked at like I am 28 due to my PS. Now, for the medical, well as long as I can get past the physical I will be good to go - so I have been told by my PS Recuriter. I don't think he would go through all the BS papaerwork if he didnt feel like it was possible?
I think the words fusion scare people who don't know what the surgery entails? I know it scared me at first till I learned that the recovery is usually 100% with sligght restrictions; I am aware that it may not be in my case and I am preparing myself for the worst. But until i get the NO GO, I am and will stay motovaited and prepared.

Thanks for the words of encouragment SSgt.

Sixguns
06-12-06, 12:42 PM
Yes, it is true the recruiter will be using a "composite" age for you. However, MEPS is still MEPS. If you have a surgical procedure, the doctor will need to see pre, op and post op records. Be prepared to round those things up for the PS recruiter. Do whatever it takes.

bugs
06-14-06, 02:27 PM
Ssgt,
Thanks, that is more of the positive type of encouragment I would expect. I have everything ready, I have even requested ALL of my health records from the past 20 years of my life. I am preparing for it, believe me! I see you speak from experience and I thank you for that. I am not blind, I do know I have to WANT this in order for me to have any chance of obtaining it again, and I DO as I will prove to those who follow this situation closely. I will keep the tread updated with my progress for anyone else in my shoes to review when considering it - let them know it's NOT immpossible so long as you want it.
I also know I MUST come out of surgery/recovery without any limintations. I have been eating very healthy and excercising extra prior to having this surgery so that my recovery will be that much quicker.

Dont know how i posted twice....sorry

greensideout
06-14-06, 08:22 PM
bugs, I took a shot at returning to the Corps when I was 41. PT wise, I could run 18 yr olds into the dirt and did but too many broken parts to please the Corps. They said no. I went with the ARNG and was a training NCO. May not be as bad as you think, as you become the one to set a new and higher standard for the unit. I was at Battalion level. Either way, good luck.

Sixguns
06-14-06, 08:50 PM
Keep us posted! Semper Fi.

bugs
06-15-06, 06:08 AM
Thanks for giving me a heads up Cpl Green....

I will keep the tread updated, as instructed Ssgt.

Stanley Hroszow
06-26-06, 08:27 PM
Hay Bugs Good Luck, My prayers are with you.

ssgt spanndw
07-01-06, 04:36 PM
You will be a BUMED case (bereau of navel medicine), and they will look at all med docs and determine your elegibility. Not an easy waiver at all killer. Good luck and hurry up and wait

ssgt spann:flag: