View Full Version : Marines' mission at children's park complete

thedrifter
05-08-06, 07:22 AM
Published - May, 8, 2006
Marines' mission at children's park complete
Youths break in new playground

Nicole Lozare
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

Fresh out of boot camp, Pfc. Jon Cumpston kneeled, took a deep breath and prepared for the onslaught.

Screams and shrieks were heard as the young Marine aimed his camera, took a shot, and immediately jumped out of the way, laughing.

On Sunday evening, hundreds of children stampeded into a new, sorely needed, state-of-the-art playground on Gulf Beach Highway near the Pensacola Naval Air Station's west gate -- nearly running down Cumpston and his colleagues, who helped build the playground.

"I'm full of emotion seeing all the kids running around," the 21-year-old Cumpston said. "It's great knowing we can keep these kids safe."

Perdido Kid's Park -- built by nearly 2,000 volunteers in "barn-raising" style -- debuted Sunday evening as hundreds of children and parents broke in the 22,000-square-feet playground.

"It's awesome to know it will be something that will be here as my children grow up," said Tara Collins, 32, who pointed out the railing she helped build to her 2-year-old son, Landon.

"I didn't think it was going to be this big," 11-year-old Bryson Schmidt said. "This is awesome. There wasn't anything like this before, and this is way better than any park."

About a year and a half ago, resident Evie Davis and her neighbors were frustrated that their children didn't have a place to play, so they banded together and decided to build their own.

Funds were raised and a designer, who specialized in community-built playgrounds, gathered ideas from about 500 neighborhood children. For example, one little girl said she wanted a turtle in the playground and now the "Tot Lot" shape is designed like a tortoise.

Supporters donated money for equipment (costs came to $250,000), and hundreds donated their time last week during the building process. About 150 students from Aviation Maintenance Squadrons One and Two -- including Cumpston -- donated 90 hours each.

"It's mission accomplished," said Pfc. Karina Krayevskaya, 18. "I'm speechless, seeing all the kids and their smiling faces."

Brittani Lounds, 7, said her favorite was a yellow slide.

"Playgrounds are important because they give us exercise," she said. "It's also awesome because the Marines built it."

As the Marines formed up and marched out of the playground, the children and their parents stopped and clapped until the last Marine was gone.

Ellie