PDA

View Full Version : Exxon Mobile Boycott

Parker-0321
05-05-06, 10:20 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to post that twice, having internet issues.

Parker-0321
05-05-06, 10:30 AM
ok, i guess the first one got deleted, so i'll retype it.

If you didn't catch it on the news the other night, there is a Strike against Exxon-Mobile that's been started in Beeville (TX).

Here's the link,

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/stories/MYSA042606.01A.gas_boycott.a7f4954.html

Anybody want to hop on the bandwagon? It probably won't have any effect but wouldn't it be nice if it did? $1.30 a gallon sounds nice huh?

JimmyK
05-05-06, 03:26 PM
Anybody want to hop on the bandwagon? It probably won't have any effect but wouldn't it be nice if it did? $1.30 a gallon sounds nice huh?

****, I remember when $1.30/gallon was expensive.

The Sandman
05-05-06, 04:33 PM
Its a nice sentiment. but even when you dont shop at their gas station you are using their gas. They make most of their money through distribution not sales. To truly boycott mobil would bring this country to its knees.

Cperschke
05-05-06, 11:25 PM
I know I am the new guy on the block here, but I just wanted to point out something. Exxon only makes roughly 9-10 cents profit on every gallon of gas they sell. The Ferderal tax on gas is 18 cents a gallon, and the state tax varies from 20ish-60 cents per gallon. Furthermore Exxon has absolutely nothing to do with the price of gas. That is determined by our suppliers. The real issue with gas is simple market economics, supply and demand. Supply has stayed the same(due to environmental regulations on drilling for oil-building new refineries) while the demand has gone up. China is a huge player in the oil market now and other countries are demanding more. It is really just simple capitalism at work, demand goes up, so do prices. Until the supply goes up due to competiton, which has been made immpossible in The United States due to the outrageous restrictions placed on companies by Enviromentalists.

Like I said, I know I am the FNG here I just wanted to share some info that I have come into recently...

:)

The Sandman
05-06-06, 12:14 AM
agreed. its not really a supply on the raw crude side. we need more refineries.

Wyoming
05-06-06, 08:00 AM

If you guys can break away for a moment - goto - http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Refineries? When was the last one built? (Oh No, Mr Bill, not in my backyard!)

ANWR? Check out the size. Seriously. Report back as to just how much land mass ANWR actually covers. (I've worked Alaska, North Slope, Prudhoe Bay and as far North and West as you can go, and the antelope and caribou are quite happy with the pipeline. It gives them a bit of warmth and they have actually multiplied since the pipeline was built.)

East Coast / West Coast / Florida Coast? Here we go again. NIMBY. 'Just bury a pipeline to my area, underground, so I won't have to see it, and send me your oil and gas.'

How about wind turbines offshore? Oops, the honorable Senator from Massachusetts is adamantly voting against the idea, so as not to spoil his view off the lovely waters offshore.

Check your sources guys, before you commit to such plans.

Bill O'Reilly likes this one - sheeit - goto - http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

I agree with this one - goto - http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/citgo.asp

Oh yeah, you might want to check out a vehicle with a high mpg rating. I have the biggest engines in both my vehicles (F-150 & Lincoln LS) but I can afford the shock at the pump.

Sheeit, I ramble.

Range Coach
05-06-06, 08:59 AM
I hope you don't believe Exxon when they claim to make "only 9-10 cents profit" per gallon. Do you know the breakdown for refining one barrel of oil? First of all, a barrel of oil is 42 gallons. At today's price of gas, a barrel of crude oil should be selling for around $125. I understand that there are refining costs, additive costs and other logistical costs, but consider this: If gas is selling for $2.95/gallon, deduct 10 cents for "profit", roughly 50 cents for taxes and you have $2.35/gallon. If a barrel of oil sells for $72, each gallon of crude is worth $1.71. To sell that same gallon for $2.35, even after refining costs and other costs, is a ~40% markup. You might think that that's not bad, well---what about everything else that can be made from that same gallon of crude? Plastics, base chemicals, etc. One thing that I will agree on is the need for new refineries. Supply, as of right now, is not a problem. You would not believe the number of tankers in the Gulf of Mexico just waiting to come into port and offload their cargo.

Just my early morning (or really, really late night) ramblings.

:sick: