PDA

View Full Version : Day teacher honored by Troops to Teacher program

thedrifter
05-01-06, 04:30 AM
Day teacher honored by Troops to Teacher program
By: CRAIG SHULTZ - Staff Writer

TEMECULA ---- What's tougher, a platoon of Marines or a class of middle school math students? Robert Huish has faced both and said they are essentially the same.

Huish, a sixth-grade teacher at James L. Day Middle School, was set to be honored Saturday as part of the California Troops for Teachers program. He was one of three finalists in the middle school division.

Troops for Teachers helps retiring military personnel get into teaching as a second career.

Huish, 47, spent 22 years in the Marine Corps, retiring as a master sergeant in July 1999. He began teaching at Nicolas Valley Elementary in Temecula the next month and has been at Day since 2001.

Huish said teaching children isn't a whole lot different than instructing Marines.

"There are different approaches to teaching," he said. "A lot (of teachers) see 34 individuals, others see 34 students who have 34 minds. I take an approach like I did in the Marine Corps, there are 34 hearts I have to reach. If I can touch the heart and soul of students, (I can) make them learn.

"The things I learned in the Marine Corps is working with people. It's the same with students. If you respect them they respect you."

Huish credits the Marines for giving him maturity and experience.

"I tried to get people motivated in the Marine Corps (and it's) something I do in the classroom," he said. "Be self-motivated, want to learn. I learned that in the Marine Corps."

Huish has simple rules for his students: Be courteous to others, do the best you can at all times and be prepared to work.

But his classroom isn't like a boot camp. The students have fun while learning.

"As an ex-Marine, you would think he has a tough persona. Robert is nowhere close to that," Day Principal Greg Cooke said. "He's very caring and compassionate. He's a natural leader."

He is currently using a baseball fantasy league to help students learn math. They may think they are just playing, but Huish knows they are learning by figuring batting averages and probabilities of success as they try to select the best team possible.

Huish joined the Marines on his 18th birthday in December 1977 and entered the Marines in June 1978. His service took him around the world, including 10 months in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm.

While in the Marines, Huish earned his bachelor's and master's degrees with a eye toward a career in business.

"I saw a flier for Troops for Teachers, did some (substitute teaching) and liked it, so I decided to continue doing service to the community by teaching," Huish said.

Huish was last stationed at Camp Pendleton, which is how he found Temecula. He teaches math and language arts at the school. Last year he taught science.

He is also working on a second master's in school administration.

When he's not teaching or studying, he coaches the freshman softball team at Chaparral High School, teaches English-language learners, works with students with learning disabilities and mentors new teachers.

"Robert is one of the most accommodating people I've ever met," Cooke said. "He'll do whatever you ask him to do."

There is a frame with a picture of a uniformed Huish and some of his honors on a wall in the classroom and he lets his students know he served his country.

"Trust me, they know how proud I am to be a Marine," Huish said.

Because of his experiences, he has counseled students who have a parent serving in Iraq, recalling the experience of his family when he was in the first Gulf War.

"When I was gone, two of my kids were in their shoes," he said. "I can relate to them very easy."

Huish and his wife of 28 years, Nancy, have three daughters and one grandson.

After Huish was nominated for the award, Cooke wrote a letter of reference. That was followed by interviews and more reference letters.

"I was ecstatic," Huish said of his reaction to being selected. "I work hard, like most teachers. I really enjoy doing this, but I always wonder, am I doing the right things? Am I doing a good job? This gives me self-satisfaction."

"(Teachers) don't get a lot of positive recognition," Cooke said. "These are the kind of things that make our day. It's a validation for all his efforts and the hard work he does for his kids."

Ellie

thedrifter
05-01-06, 08:35 AM
MONDAY, MAY 01, 2006 12:00 AM
Teachers from military dispense lessons on life

BY YVONNE M. WENGER
The Post and Courier

CROSS - Master Sgt. Bobby Matthews' family farm had tobacco and cotton, pigs and goats. It was 1962 in St. Stephen, schools were still segregated and stories about slaves were a generation closer in memory.

Matthews, 62, earned his diploma from Russellville High School and enrolled in Morgan State University in Baltimore. More than 40 years later, he came home to St. Stephen and took a job at Cross High School with a few goals in mind.

Matthews, the senior Army instructor with the Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps, is one of dozens of former military personnel now teaching in public schools throughout the Lowcountry. The service members affect the lives of the students they teach using a distinct level of discipline and leadership.

"I didn't have a silver spoon, but I didn't know at the time I was rich," Matthews said. "Rich with values. Rich with respect for people.

"When I look at these kids who say, 'I don't have this or that,' or 'I'm poor,' I ask them, 'What's poverty? What's wealth?' "

As a leader, Matthews said his personal mission is to provide training for jobs and for life. He makes one demand of the students he is preparing for graduation and careers: They must leave their excuses at the door.

Hardships such as racism and poverty won't go away, but they can be overcome.

"I've been there, done that," he said. "I'm coming from a segregated high school and a Christian background. My parents never allowed us to say 'I can't because I'm black.' They said, 'Don't allow someone else's issue to become your own.' "

Former soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen can enter the classrooms in several ways, including by serving as JROTC instructors or by gaining accreditation through the Troops to Teachers program.

In the Charleston area, most local high schools have JROTC programs, and many classroom teachers have military backgrounds. Seventy-nine teachers have entered the classroom through Troops to Teachers, a $14 million-a-year national initiative established in 1994. The program has placed about 8,875 service members nationally in teaching positions.

Reports from Kuwait

Lt. Col. Jon E. Jordan, with more than 20 years' experience in the Army, offers a rare perspective to his students at James Island Middle School. Jordan, who as a member of the Army Reserve was called up in December and is serving in Kuwait, is an eighth-grade math and social studies teacher in civilian life.

His wife, JerriAnne Johnson- Jordan, who teaches sixth grade at the school, said her husband sends pictures, postcards and other memorabilia to his students.

Jordan, a teacher for 19 years and a Citadel alumnus, recently visited a mosque and sent back a video about world religion and tolerance, his wife said.

"He misses the students here, and when he gets to e-mail, he asks about them," his wife said. "He is someone who cares about them and also someone that they see standing by their word and following through on commitments he's made."

Aside from having military teachers in regular classes, students can join the JROTC programs, which emphasize citizenship and leadership mixed with personal training and extracurricular activities.

At Fort Dorchester High School in Dorchester District 2, the Air Force JROTC program is one of the largest in the state with about 350 students, said Lt. Col. Robert Ticknor, the senior program instructor.

"The structure and discipline we teach and expect, they might not get it anywhere else," Ticknor said.

To ninth-grader Dana Johno at Cross High, JROTC is practical.

"In your regular classes you learn information; here you learn life skills, the things you'll need later on," said Dana, 15, who is in her first year of JROTC and was honored with the school's Superior Cadet Award.

Teacher of the year

Before coming back to Berkeley County about two years ago, Matthews worked for a national education and training program and lived in 13 states. In college he had a double major in business administration and economics while working full time. He has been in the Army Reserve for 34 years after serving in the regular Army.

Matthews, who was named the school's teacher of the year in March, recently organized a job-readiness seminar in Cross that brought employers and students together. Six students were hired and others have pending offers.

More than 85 percent of the nearly 450 students at Cross High School live below poverty level. The school serves students in grades seven to 12 and had a graduation rate of 83 percent last year ? the highest in the school district.

Matthews calls his colleague, Sgt. Donald Woods, who spent 21 years in the Army Medical Corps, the backbone of the JROTC program at Cross.

"I think it is something that is needed in all high schools because there is a lack of discipline in high schools," said Woods, who has served nine years in Berkeley County schools.

The area around Cross and St. Stephen used to be a farming community, but change has crept in slowly. One thing that has stayed true is strong family ties, and Matthews said he does not want to the community to lose that.

"Every time I came back here I thought about my childhood experiences," said Matthews, who has settled with his wife, Laura Armstrong Matthews, on land next to his late father's house. "Many of my students say, 'I'm leaving Cross and I'm never coming back.' The kids should be grateful."

Matthews is going to teach them that.

www.proudtoserveagain.com.

Reach Yvonne M. Wenger at ywenger@postandcourier.com or 745-5891.

Ellie