PDA

View Full Version : Marine finds 'the good life' in desert

thedrifter
04-28-06, 08:38 AM
MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER, TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif.(April 27, 2006) -- Sleeping in dusty, wind-battered tents, waking up at 4 a.m. to carry heavy packs long distances and showering with wet wipes is just a brief description of life in the field.

For some, this sounds like a nightmare. For Lance Cpl. Will “Dirty” McDermott, a rifleman with Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, it sounds like a pretty good time.

The field, in fact, is where McDermott thrives, possibly because surviving with the bare minimum is something he can relate to.

“Before the Corps, I was homeless, living in a children’s home in Arizona. I saw a recruiter in front of the mall, and I joined,” McDermott said.

McDermott has a lot of “camping” to look back on, and after extending his enlistment April 9, he has a lot more to look forward to.

“I had to extend,” said the 22-year-old from Payson, Ariz. “I like to go to Iraq.”

McDermott, though seemingly unshakable, conceded that his job isn’t always fun.

One day in particular, April 13, 2004, stands out as the one day he regretted joining the Marine Corps.

McDermott added that the two-year anniversary of the event gives him a strange feeling.

His platoon was ambushed about seven miles from Fallujah, killing his friend, Pvt. Noah Boye.

“A Pavelow (alliance helicopter) went down, and we formed a quick-reaction force to pull gear from the bird,” said McDermott. “We sat there all night, and in the morning we were ambushed.”

McDermott received a Purple Heart in a separate incident during his first tour in Iraq.

On a night patrol in Al Karmah, a town west of Fallujah, McDermott’s humvee was hit by an improvised explosive device, sending shrapnel into his left leg.

“It’s funny because I was supposed to get out today,” he added, sitting in front of his pack in an Area 62 parking lot on Camp Pendleton.

He was waiting for a bus to take him and the rest of the battalion to a week of desert field training at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms.

His unique experiences and personality leave an impression on the Marines around him and nicknamed him “Dirty.”

“He likes the dirt, likes to stay dirty,” laughed Pfc. Matthew R. Tanous, a 24-year-old rifleman with Company B, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines.

“Dirty” or just “McDermott,” has proven to be a valuable member of the battalion.

“It’s important to have guys like him to keep everyone motivated,” Tanous added. “He’s about as gung-ho as you can get.”

Three things keep McDermott going through deployments and field training.

“Red Bull, Red Bull, Red Bull. I live by Red Bull. It’s a necessity – and beef jerky,” he said.

During his four years in the Marine Corps, McDermott has deployed to Iraq on three separate occasions.

He’s currently working up to deploy with the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit out of Okinawa, Japan.

“It’s amazing how much some of these young kids have seen,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Brian E. Burlingame, 1/5 operations chief. “Some have seen a lot of combat in a short time.”

Despite these incidents, McDermott believes the Marine Corps has had a positive effect in his life.

“I’d like to make a career out of it,” he said.

Ellie