PDA

View Full Version : Marine and Navy spouses learn ins and outs

thedrifter
04-28-06, 07:08 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. (April 27, 2006) -- The Marine Corps trains recruits for months before they can claim the title of United States Marines. Along with countless hours of drill and physical training, they learn customs and courtesies, receive counseling on financial benefits and prepare for future deployment.

A program called Lifestyle, Insights, Networking, Knowledge & Skills, also known as L.I.N.K.S., offers valuable training for Marine spouses.

“We talk about the Marine Corps family that we’re all a part of, but let’s say that family speaks a different language,” said Lt. Gen. John F. Sattler, Commanding General of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, while talking to L.I.N.K.S. participants April 6. “If you grew up in that family, you would assimilate yourself to it, but we kind of thrust you into it. That’s why it’s important to know (what type of program) you can turn to.”

The organization helps the spouses of Marines and Sailors learn the history and rank structure of the Marine Corps and Navy. “It gives them the ‘tricks of the trade’ when planning a move or managing finances and offers career and volunteer opportunities,” said L.I.N.K.S. mentor manager Santos Hutson.

“This program is not designed just for deployments,” said Lisa M. Stehle, L.I.N.K.S. team leader. “It has to do with getting used to the Marine Corps.”

“If a Marine gets orders to a foreign country, he’s going to do some research or get a book about that country’s language and customs,” she said. “This program is that book for spouses.”

The base’s Family Team Building office, located at Building 1344, hosts the program with two morning and one full-day classes.

“They helped us with military terminology. It’s so different. They taught me how to read the (leave and earning statements),” laughed Chara A. Beltre, the 19-year-old wife of Angel L. Beltre, a radio operator here. “I really learned a lot.”

“This program caters just to the spouse and gives him or her the information they need to tie them to the Marine Corps’,” said Melodena S. Robinson, an administrative assistant with Family Team Building and a participant in the most recent L.I.N.K.S. class.

“Programs such as this can make things for the spouse so much less stressful,” said Jim McDaniel, Family Team Building director. “This, in turn, lowers the stress for the Marine and allows him to focus on the mission.”

Lieutenant Gen. Sattler expressed his gratitude to all who participated.

“Thank you very much; you’re all a part of this (Global War on Terrorism) because those forward could not do their job without you.”

To learn more about the L.I.N.K.S. program can call (760) 725-7335.

Ellie