PDA

View Full Version : Sink or Swim

Parker-0321
04-26-06, 12:06 PM
What could i do to get ready for swim week? I can swim, I've never drowned (duh), but I dont know about swimmming in full gear with boots on. What all is involved with swim week? Is there anything I can be doing now to improve or better prepare myself?

thanx
-parker

awb5711
04-26-06, 12:19 PM
Swim.

outlaw3179
04-26-06, 12:27 PM
Swim.

Zippo
04-26-06, 12:28 PM
First off, if you already know how to swim, you're better off than a lot of other kids who've never been in water their entire life. But if you still want to improve I'll give some suggestions.

Just swim laps at an uncomfortable pace. This is going to make you into an all-around stronger swimmer. Swimming casually won't make the improvements worth your time (unless you've never swam).

If you're going to go for a higher CWS, i would get a buddy to start "trying" to drown you. We did this in lifeguard school, and i believe you do it in CWSII. That tires you out much quicker than you'd think.

Basically, anything that makes you exert yourself in any way in the water is going to help you to be a much better swimmer.

Again these are only my suggestions, I'm not an expert-- but I did practically grow up in the water. Good luck!

jryanjack
04-26-06, 12:34 PM
Parker,

While you may think you already know how to swim (or shoot, run, dress yourself, etc) you do not know how to do it the Marine Corps way. This is what you will be doing during swim week, learning to swim the Marine Corps way, which does involve swimming with all of your gear on plus a rifle - rescuing an injuried recruit, etc.

Osotogary
04-26-06, 12:42 PM
Parker-0321,
Have you thought about treading water fully clothed, (I'm talking tee shirt, shirt, sweater, jacket, underwear, pants, socks and shoes) for any number of minutes? Just a thought. It might help.

Parker-0321
04-26-06, 12:51 PM
Parker-0321,
Have you thought about treading water fully clothed, (I'm talking tee shirt, shirt, sweater, jacket, underwear, pants, socks and shoes) for any number of minutes? Just a thought. It might help.

Actually I did't think of that lol, sometimes I guess I overlook the obvious, I'' lhave to do that when i get time. the only pool availabe is at my grandparents place (45 miles away). When skool gets out, I'll have a lot more free time and I can swim on a regular basis. Thanks for the idea.

-parker

outlaw3179
04-26-06, 01:01 PM
Parker,

While you may think you already know how to swim (or shoot, run, dress yourself, etc) you do not know how to do it the Marine Corps way. This is what you will be doing during swim week, learning to swim the Marine Corps way, which does involve swimming with all of your gear on plus a rifle - rescuing an injuried recruit, etc.

lol...exactly!

Radiofantry
04-26-06, 01:14 PM
I've been swimming for about 45 minutes every night for the last month or so. I was lifeguard certified back in middle school, and I used to teach swimming lessons, but somehow I fell off the wagon the last few years. Turns out it's like riding a bike, you don't forget how.

I've actually been doing some swim sprints as well, it's pretty fun.

If you're planning on going Recon though, you better start hitting the pool HARD, I'm swimming 45 minutes a night and all I'm trying to do is get the second level of CWS...

Parker-0321
04-26-06, 02:35 PM
Thats why im jumping on it now, as soon as I possibly can, I DEP'd in in December and haven't been swimming since before I joined. As soon as I get the chance I will. This summer I'll be working at Schlitterbahn Waterpark as a Lifeguard (im already certified) in New Braunsfels. But like jryanjack said, I don't know how to do it the MARINE CORPS way.

Radiofantry
04-26-06, 02:40 PM
Thats why im jumping on it now, as soon as I possibly can, I DEP'd in in December and haven't been swimming since before I joined. As soon as I get the chance I will. This summer I'll be working at Schlitterbahn Waterpark as a Lifeguard (im already certified) in New Braunsfels. But like jryanjack said, I don't know how to do it the MARINE CORPS way.

Seriously start the treading water practice ASAP, even if you can only do it on a pond or something nearby.

Treading water for 30 minutes is a LOT harder than it sounds. I can do it for about 15-20 minutes before I start getting seriously, seriously, exhausted.

It's a lot harder than swimming for the same amount of time! Hah!

Old Marine
04-26-06, 08:11 PM
"Now Hear This"

This is not a swimming meet.

This is drownproofing the Marine Corps way.

Smalcom
04-26-06, 10:40 PM
if u want 0321 u better get ready for a lot of swimmin

Phantom Blooper
04-27-06, 09:30 AM
if u want 0321 u better get ready for a lot of swimmin

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989

what he says dats rite!but it wood make mor cents if u wood tri to type an speak like u no like the administrator of dis board says 2 du!

most of da time u poolees n wannabees come up with sum good ??? n stuf.

(.) a blind person wood make more cents out of ur posts readin it in braille or morse code.

And on a more professional note Parker-0321,the Marines and parents who posted to your question gave you good advice. SWIM and go to a pool that will allow you to use survival swimming maybe a YMCA. But go with a buddy or make sure there are lifeguards present.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

Hocker
04-27-06, 05:27 PM
Take a cynder block and drop it off into the deepest end of your pool , dive down and swim back up with it , keep doing it until you can no longer do it.
At every marine base I have been to we had a cynder block or a cement filled pipe that we used for training.

csilva
04-27-06, 08:05 PM
dont panic, keep yourself calm and you will be fine.

Mama
04-27-06, 09:37 PM
We have a family friend who is a former SEAL
He's been working with my poolee on the side stroke

it's really hard in her boots poor kid

DevilDogHEMech
04-28-06, 04:05 AM
When I went through swim qual in boot camp I got CWS 1, even though I didn't do all of the rescue/"underwater wrestling" techniques perfectly on the first attempt. If you show confidence in the water, a sincere and hard effort to do it, and some physical and mental endurance, you should be able to get at least CWS 4, which is the minimum to get through boot camp. By the way, you should get the best level certification you can because the better you do, the longer it will be until you have to re-qual.

yellowwing
04-28-06, 07:52 AM
I can swim, I've never drowned...
You've got it right there, Parker! Instilling those simple words deep into your brain housing. Our Marine Corps training will give you the confidence and conviction.

Until then, The Red Cross does have a good swim program.

Parker-0321
04-28-06, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the ideas, advice, and encouragment everyone. Yesterday for PT we went to the pool and spent about an hour swimming. We learned proper swimming techniques, and we spent 15 minutes at the end just treading water, makeing laps as fast as we physiclly could...wow, what a workout. I did pretty good I think, but I need to stay with it.

I'll be doing the Cinder block thing too.

Thanks again everyone

-parker