PDA

View Full Version : The Recon Ron Pullup Program - GUARANTEED to have you doing 20 pullups

Accord
04-20-06, 01:52 AM
The Armstrong Pullup Program is definitely more popular than the Recon Ron Pullup Program, however I have experienced VERY significant and very dramatic gains and improvements on the Recon Ron program, more than I ever did when I was doing the Armstrong pullup program.

I know it's been posted in the past, but the information is scattered about, so I thought I would make this thread. If you follow the Recon Ron program exactly, it doesn't matter if you're a fat body, you will be at 20 pullups within 5 months if you follow the program.

Here is a website with the chart you need to follow, print this out and stick it on your wall: http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

The website doesn't list the directions or specifically what you need to do however. At the top you'll notice it says WEEK 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. During each week you will perform 5 sets of the number of reps listed in the column, for example in week 1 you will do 6 reps on the first set, 5 on the second set, etc. You do this Monday through Saturday and on Sunday you take the day off and do nothing to allow yourself to recover from the previous week. Then you'll move on to week 2, however in MY personal experience I found that it moved a little too quickly, so I spent 2 weeks on week 1 before moving to week 2 where I spent another 2 weeks before moving on to week 3. If you're stuck on a certain week and you've been stuck there for more than 2 weeks without being able to improve to what's required on the next step, then take 5 days off and don't do a single pullup.

I hope everything above made sense. As a prerequisite to the program you must be able to do at least 6 pullups, but if you can't it should be fairly easy to get to that point on your own. I'm currently at 11 pullups right now and I don't think there is any way I would be at that point had it not been for the Recon Ron program.

If you have at least 5 months remaining in DEP, there is no excuse for not shipping to boot camp being able to do 20 pullups if you follow this program, and if you're already able to do more than what's required in the early weeks of the Recon Ron program you're already ahead of the game.

drillinstructor
03-17-08, 02:53 PM
I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program.

Depending on the amount of pullups you do right now when u first get on the bar will be your start point.

Here is the start numbers and I will explain below.

1-5 (50)
6-10 (75)
11-15 (100)
16-20 (150)

The number to the left is how many you can do right now and the number in parenthesis is the number of pull-ups you will do for the workout.

1. Jump on the bar and do a max set You will rest for 60 secs and during that rest do at least 25 crunches but NO PUSHUPS.

2. Keeping the number you finished with jump back up and do another max set. You will rest again for 60 secs and do your crunches. You continue to do MAX SET each time you get on the bar until you have reached the number in parenthesis.

Continue your sets no matter how many times you have to get on the bar. Even if you jump up and only do 1, oh well keep doing it.

If for some reason you can not even do 1 when you get on the bar, take longer rest but if you do this, you better double the workout because you suck.

Do this every other day for 1 month and then take 4 days off and start again.

YOU WILL HAVE GREAT GAINS IN PULLUPS BUT YOU MUST PUT IN THE WORK.

Semper Fi!!!!

Brandon1
03-17-08, 03:06 PM
I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program.

Depending on the amount of pullups you do right now when u first get on the bar will be your start point.

1-5 (50)
6-10 (75)
11-15 (100)
16-20 (150)

The number to the left is how many you can do right now and the number in parenthesis is the number of pull-ups you will do for the workout.

1. Jump on the bar and do a max set You will rest for 60 secs and during that rest do at least 25 crunches but NO PUSHUPS.

2. Keeping the number you finished with jump back up and do another max set. You will rest again for 60 secs and do your crunches. You continue to do MAX SET each time you get on the bar until you have reached the number in parenthesis.

Continue your sets no matter how many times you have to get on the bar. Even if you jump up and only do 1, oh well keep doing it.

If for some reason you can not even do 1 when you get on the bar, take longer rest but if you do this, you better double the workout because you suck.

Semper Fi!!!! I will definatley try this in 4 weeks when my shoulder heals. How long did it take you to figure out that this routine actually worked?

drillinstructor
03-17-08, 03:31 PM
I will definatley try this in 4 weeks when my shoulder heals. How long did it take you to figure out that this routine actually worked?

It was just trial and error using recruits as ginnie pigs. My platoon was always at the top when the final PFT came. They blew the other platoons away in the pull-ups which was a big advantage. With no exaggeration, at least 90 % of the recruits were at 20 at the final PFT and the others were close.

Brandon1
03-17-08, 04:52 PM
Well now i'm more motivated than before to try your program :)

AndyBowman
03-17-08, 08:53 PM

1-5 (50)
6-10 (75)
11-15 (100)
16-20 (150)

Semper Fi!!!!

Yeah it sounds good... I can do 11 right at the moment and have 5 months to go so I'm going to give it a try, thanks!

futuremarine129
03-17-08, 09:48 PM
Let me say that I started Recon Ron today and it seems challenging enough. At the end of the workout i wanted to see how many more i could do...let's just say it was one of the more embarassing things I did today.

drillinstructor
03-17-08, 11:06 PM
Yeah it sounds good... I can do 11 right at the moment and have 5 months to go so I'm going to give it a try, thanks!

11 is half way there, after your first four weeks and you take that 4 day break, I am certain you will have to move to the (150) bracket for the next month. good luck.....

AndyBowman
03-18-08, 10:22 AM
11 is half way there, after your first four weeks and you take that 4 day break, I am certain you will have to move to the (150) bracket for the next month. good luck.....

Right now I'm happy with 11 though because when I DEP'ed in on December 6th I could only do one. But I got 9 more to go so its not that bad for only 5 months left til I ship out. But I'll definately be starting this today when I get home and try it out for the next month. And thanks again!

gnarkill04
03-18-08, 03:35 PM
Andy, how did you get so many in 3 months? Just kept doing them? And I'll definitely be starting the drill instructor's program very soon. If I don't find it too effective I'll try Accord's. Thanks to both of you guys.

AndyBowman
03-18-08, 03:44 PM
Andy, how did you get so many in 3 months? Just kept doing them? And I'll definitely be starting the drill instructor's program very soon. If I don't find it too effective I'll try Accord's. Thanks to both of you guys.
That's pretty much all I was doing. I DEP'ed in on December 6th and I was just humiliated with my one pullup and 45 crunches I did at MEPS so for Christmas I asked for a pullup bar and I have on that goes in the door frame and I leave it there. In the beginning I started doing one pullup when I entered my room and one when I left my room regardless of anything. Even if I left for 3 seconds I would do one when I exited and then one when I entered. So eventually I just moved it up to <st1:time minute="57" hour="15">3 to 4</st1:time> when I enter and exited. But I haven't really gone up or down lately so I'm hoping to have 20 when the next Poolee Function comes around next month. And then the crunches I'm still working on I can do like 60ish which is definately no where near where I want to be. And running I can get a 100 on because I can run a <st1:time minute="45" hour="16">16:45</st1:time> 3-Mile run. I want that 300 PFT Score before I leave! <o></o>

gnarkill04
03-18-08, 03:50 PM
Damn nice 3 mile time. Wish I could get that good of a score on my run. Sit ups I'm perfect on, and I'm working on my pull ups right now. I have about 5 or 6 from doing pyramids.

hamilton4814
03-18-08, 03:55 PM
And then the crunches I'm still working on I can do like 60ish which is definately no where near where I want to be. And running I can get a 100 on because I can run a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:time hour="16" minute="45">16:45</st1:time> 3-Mile run. I want that 300 PFT Score before I leave! <O></O>

How in the world can you run 3 miles in 16:45 and only be able to do 60 crunches? You sure you are doing them the easiest way possible? that just blows my mind lol, cause i can't run 3 miles in under 22:00 and only like 7ish pullups, and i can do the crunches easyyy.

AndyBowman
03-18-08, 03:58 PM
How in the world can you run 3 miles in 16:45 and only be able to do 60 crunches? You sure you are doing them the easiest way possible? that just blows my mind lol, cause i can't run 3 miles in under 22:00 and only like 7ish pullups, and i can do the crunches easyyy.

Yeah I don't know its like the one thing I struggle on. I am doing them the way the other people are..but I can run well... always have been able to run well.

drillinstructor
03-18-08, 04:00 PM

Believe it or not but there are many good runners and they suck at crunches and pull-ups. A lot of the bigger bellie recruits would do many more crunches yhan the skinny runners, and as for why? I really have no idea but it is the truth.

Hologram
03-19-08, 12:55 AM
It was just trial and error using recruits as ginnie pigs. My platoon was always at the top when the final PFT came. They blew the other platoons away in the pull-ups which was a big advantage. With no exaggeration, at least 90 % of the recruits were at 20 at the final PFT and the others were close.Are you still a drill instructor at San Diego? Because if you are, I hope to God that you're mine.

TheRiverStyx
04-30-08, 02:10 PM
What are your thoughs on this working for other exercises, such as the bench press. For example, if you can bench 225 six times, could you use this program and work yourself up to say 12 reps?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-30-08, 03:01 PM
What are your thoughs on this working for other exercises, such as the bench press. For example, if you can bench 225 six times, could you use this program and work yourself up to say 12 reps?

Rules apply to you too. Fill out your profile then we can talk.

AndreBlanks
05-02-08, 02:58 PM

Just stop lifting weights. You think in the Marines or any other service they're gonna, "Drop and give me a 12 rep bench of 200!"? Lifting weights (unless you properly train for pure strength) is going to add more muscle mass which is fine but you're going to be moving that extra mass up and down when you do pull ups, push ups, and sit ups, and carrying it when you try to run 3 miles. You're better off training for endurance by doing the exercises you know you will perform, or at least the ones you'll be tested on. You can search on the forums or on-line for training tips and whatnot. Stew Smith over at ************* has some good articles (http://www.*************/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness/). Don't be afraid to try different things. I personally sometimes becomes obsessed with finding that one golden workout program (or whatever it is at the time) that is THE best and sure to not fail! Too bad nothing like that really exists in regards to anything. So don't be afraid to try different ways of doing things and try to be somewhat organized about it. It's easy to fall off the track if you don't keep organized.

And yes, you really should fill out your profile--it's part of the forum rules.

AndreBlanks
05-02-08, 03:12 PM
I have my own pull-up program I did with recruits and it works the best. I have tried them all with the recruits and the most gain I had was by using the below program. . . but NO PUSHUPS.

As far as preparing for boot camp, would you recommend training for push-ups since you aren't necessarilly tested on them? Or just maybe focus on them as a secondary? Thanks for any input.

AndreBlanks
05-02-08, 03:25 PM
(http://www.*************/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness/) (http://www.*************/military-fitness/marine-corps-fitness/%29)

Eh, I'm guessing you have to be a certain member/have enough posts to post URLs, but it's www[dot]military[dot]com/blahblahblah

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 04:30 PM
I guess you see that the admin here didn't want you to post links so you decided you were above the rules. Goon initiative, poor judgement.

I disagree with telling someone to stop lifting weights. You need more than just the ability to do more than just pull ups unless you think the enemy is going to just want to do a pull up contest with you.

AndreBlanks
05-02-08, 04:37 PM
Sorry about the link post--tried to see if you could edit/delete posts but couldn't find a way. . .

I don't think it's a bad idea to lift weights but I wouldn't make it the focal point of training for boot camp. I just think you just don't want to add a lot of muscle mass if you're going more for endurance. You can do rep/set ranges that focus more on strength and endurance, but a bench press, while similar to a push up is still not a push up and just because you can bench press X-hundred pounds X times doesn't necessarilly equal a high pushup rep.

KevinR90
05-02-08, 08:44 PM
Sorry about the link post--tried to see if you could edit/delete posts but couldn't find a way. . .

I don't think it's a bad idea to lift weights but I wouldn't make it the focal point of training for boot camp. I just think you just don't want to add a lot of muscle mass if you're going more for endurance. You can do rep/set ranges that focus more on strength and endurance, but a bench press, while similar to a push up is still not a push up and just because you can bench press X-hundred pounds X times doesn't necessarilly equal a high pushup rep.

True- i've read this in several places. However, I agree with the Corporal. You might as well keep lifting weights- in addition to doing endurance activities. I don't see how more strength and muscle couldn't help. From what i've heard of boot camp, pulling a really heavy dummy to simulate a fallen comrade or manuvering someone on a strechter through an obstacle will require plently of strength.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 08:59 PM
Unless you're thinking about training for Mr. Olympia then spending time throwing iron around in the gym isn't going to hurt anything. At times I carried more mass than I would say is ideal, but I was never worried about meeting the PFT requirements as a result. If you're fit you're fit and you'll be fine.

There are things that I believe are BETTER than spending time throwing weights around in the gym. Crossfit is one of those things. Kettlebell training is another. Both build explosive power and flexibility, which are ALWAYS good things.

futuremarine129
05-02-08, 10:27 PM
I am actually in the middle of Recon Ron and it's worked great for me. I'm currently on the 10, 8 , 6, 6, 6 week. I HIGHLY recommend this for anyone looking to up their pull ups since I was doing 7 max when I started and now I'm doing 14 max.

AndreBlanks
05-03-08, 07:21 AM
I don't want to seem like I'm hating on weight lifting. I used to lift a lot and loved it. I just wanted to emphasize that there are different set/rep ranges for what you are trying to achieve with weight lifting. If you do heavy-ass weight and go for 4 reps or below it's really more of a pure strength training. Lighter weight with reps in the 12-15+ range are going to build endurance. Between those two gives more hypertrophy results--which is what body builders use.

Body builders look strong--they aren't always the strongest guys. Do a YouTube search for "human flag". Then do a search for Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman (both bodybuilders). Totally different looks, results, and training. The human flag guy is probably stronger (per-size/weight/muscle mass) but that doesn't translate into doing a 300+ pound bench. Vice versa as well--just because you can bench 300+ doesn't mean you can hold yourself out on the poles for 35 seconds.

Echo_Four_Bravo mentioned CrossFit. You could check that out--any body weight exercises are good. Use sandbags. Lifting a fifty pound sandbag is a lot different than lifting a fifty pound plate or dumbbell (you wouldn't think so and neither did I but it is). Do a Google search for "old school training". That stuff will kick your butt. It's things like sandbag work, tractor tire flipping/sledgehammering, kettle bells, drags/pulls, etc. etc. That stuff is a lot cheaper than weights as well. A sandbag is 2.50 for a 50lb bag of sand from Home Depot and a pillow case with the opening duct taped. You can still do squats, deadlifts, cleans, presses, etc. etc. with those. If you choose to go that route stick to the big compound movements like the ones I just listed--you get more bang for your buck.

fs19
05-12-08, 09:29 PM
I have been doing drillinstructors pullup workout for the past 7 days and have seen incredible results. I have been doing it every other day to allow me to continue to lift with my recruiters and work on other things, but in the last 7 days my pullups have gone from 14 last monday, to 18 tonight. I actually went from 14 one workout to 17 the next. I guess I just broke through a wall or somthing, but whatever it was, the workout WORKS!

Thank you very much for posting it MSgt.

LittleMissStretch
05-12-08, 10:20 PM
The Recon Ron program was just not doing anything for me. I've actually been using drillinstructors's pullup program and its worked great for me. In about two weeks I went from 2 pullups to 6. I'm doing more pullups than some of the guys at my RSS. I dont leave for Boot Camp untill July 7th. So if I can do 6 pullups now imagine when I leave for Boot? I know I'm a female and I dont have to do pullups but, it's just great to outdo the guys. So thanks MSgt.

SlingerDun
05-12-08, 10:36 PM
...I'm doing more pullups than some of the guys at my RSS...I'm a female and I dont have to do pullups but, it's just great to outdo the guys....Wait until your surrounded by hardchargin young Marines:cool: Good job kid keep it up.

--->Dave

drillinstructor
05-13-08, 03:47 PM
fs19 and LittleMissStretch, Keep up the good work. it will pay off and as I have mentioned before, I have seen this work for so many but you have to stick with it and be dedicated. If you want it then go for it. I woulld suggest for the females to hang on the bar as if you were in a flexed arm hang and then very slowly lower your arms to full extension, have someone push you back up and do it again and again and again....Reverse pull-ups for the women.........Semper Fi all!!!!!!!!

jungholee90
05-13-08, 07:35 PM
I just read drillinstructor's pull-up program and finished my 150. I realized how weak I am on the endurance, because after my first 20 it went down to 8... It took forever to finish. Advancing from 0 to 20 pull-ups I've never done pull-up workouts like this one before. I'll just say my stomach aches from all the crunches I did in the middle. haha. I have a month and 10 days until I ship so it is perfect timing to do this for one month and rest until the shipdate.

Thanks for sharing this with us MSgt.!

danieljogbn
05-13-08, 07:45 PM
I just tried the DI's pull up program. It is indeed hardcore. After doing 100 pull ups, my biceps and forearms went numb. Nontheless, I have a strong feelig that this program will get me 20 pull ups no problem. Thanks to your pull up program. :thumbup:

Nez46
05-13-08, 08:40 PM
I just tried the DI's pull up program. It is indeed hardcore. After doing 100 pull ups, my biceps and forearms went numb. Nontheless, I have a strong feelig that this program will get me 20 pull ups no problem. Thanks to your pull up program. :thumbup:

Thats good i do 24 still got a month before i ship im hoping to do 30 for the Drill Intructors on the IST:beer:

drillinstructor
05-14-08, 12:46 PM
Very impressive Nez and if you can run good and do crucnches, you may just start out as guide.........That first impression can be a good one for you

Nez46
05-14-08, 02:14 PM
Im hoping to be honor grad. I already have PFC but its just the Honor that i want.

drillinstructor
05-14-08, 02:35 PM
If you are a "contract" PFC and you are the company Honor Grad, you will being wearing LCpl on graduation day.

drillinstructor
05-14-08, 02:37 PM
If you are a "contract" PFC and you are the company Honor Grad, you will being wearing LCpl on graduation day.

Old timers out there....Do not kill me because it took you 5 years to pick up LCpl. It is 2008 now and I am just giving these youngens information for 2008

Nez46
05-14-08, 10:18 PM
I would take it but i got cursed out by a PFC honor grad. He said i needed to earn it. I think he was mad cause he didnt get it out of boot lol. :beer: . But ya know i understand where they are coming from tho ;)

Domforce24
05-15-08, 09:00 AM
I highly recommend the Stew Smith Recon Workout. I started off doing 10 pullups and was able to do max out at 32 in 3 months of hardcore training. Got my 3 mile time down by 4 minutes, dramatically improved pushups, increased situps from 75 to 115 and really improved my swimming technique and endurance. It's a 12 week program but you have to be extremely dedicated and workout anywhere from 2-6 hours a day depending on if you have to hump or not. Now I'm basically just trying to maintain my fitness level until I go to boot because I'm sort of at a plateau right now and havent improved much over the past couple months...but I'm ok with that :D

UsmcMotorT
05-15-08, 09:04 AM
The Recon Ron program was just not doing anything for me. I've actually been using drillinstructors's pullup program and its worked great for me. In about two weeks I went from 2 pullups to 6. I'm doing more pullups than some of the guys at my RSS. I dont leave for Boot Camp untill July 7th. So if I can do 6 pullups now imagine when I leave for Boot? I know I'm a female and I dont have to do pullups but, it's just great to outdo the guys. So thanks MSgt.

This is mother freaking outstanding! Keep it up

Nez46
05-15-08, 02:28 PM
Nice its good when we got females out doing males lol. :thumbup:

LittleMissStretch
05-15-08, 05:03 PM
Hey, well someone has to keep the boys in check. ;)

AndreBlanks
05-15-08, 05:07 PM
I highly recommend the Stew Smith Recon Workout.
I tried a Google search--but do you have a link?

Domforce24
05-15-08, 05:35 PM
stewsmith.com

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-15-08, 06:58 PM
Stew Smith has long been "the guy" for people that are wanting to be Seals. He has some great books out there- my favorite is Maximum Fitness. Any of his ebooks will help you except maybe the beginner program if you are already in pretty decent shape.

Here (http://store.stewsmithptclub.com/sixwemacorew.html) is the page for the 12 week program.

He also has a free workout for every week. That can be found here (http://www.stewsmith.com/fitnessplanoftheweek.htm). If you want to go this route, it would be wise to back up and do the first week first and just progress through his plan. He is currently on week 17 and there is no need to try to get there before you go through weeks 1-16 even though it isn't necessarily a progression type thing.

AndreBlanks
05-15-08, 07:03 PM
I sincerely admire all the DEPpers who've made so much progress--keep up the good work. Those programs take a lot of commitment, and I envy those of you who have the time to dedicate "2-6 hours" haha. I wake up at about 4 to workout for about 45min-1hr and then work fulltime and I get in some running 4 days a week but for the most part I'm too dang tired after work (metal fabrication laborer) to bust out 2 hours, so I do what I can. Keep up the good work everyone.

Domforce24
05-15-08, 08:44 PM
I know what you mean Andre, I work fulltime as well and I am usually very tired after work. But if you want it bad enough you can find the time and energy that you need to reach the fitness goals you want to set for yourself. I have basically sacrificed my entire social life so that I can work full time and then PT afterwards haha but it will be worth it in the end.

PMPursch
05-18-08, 04:30 PM
Got a question, when do you test for your official PFT scores? I'm asking because at the moment I'm at somewhat of plateau for pullups, 14 max. I'm hoping to have negotiated a contract by the end of the month, and to ship not too long after. Am I gonna have time to increase my pullups in Boot before I'm tested or should give myself more time to train? I've been practicing the PFT for a while now and the pullups are the only thing I'm concerned about. I definitely want to be as dialed-in as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

HurricaneRJ
05-18-08, 05:02 PM
14 pull-ups is good. You can gain 6 pull-ups during boot camp easily.

Eat a lot of peanut butter and do pyramaids after lights out and your good.

AndreBlanks
05-18-08, 05:40 PM
Definately worth it--you make time for things you know you want and you know will be worth while in the end. . .

I've seen several posts on here about hitting plateus. That's really your body getting used to what you've been doing to it--so try to switch up your routine. If you are doing drillinstructor's pull up program (going to failure, high volume, ever other day) try the Recon Ron one (still high volume, not to failure, every day), and vice-versa to switch things up. Or try working out once in the morning once in evening. You just need to change the stimulus your body is receiving.

HurricaneRJ
05-18-08, 07:58 PM
Or get the new "Perfect Pull-up".

futuremarine129
05-18-08, 08:53 PM
Or get the new "Perfect Pull-up".

I hear this thing sucks? I had the perfect push-up and it wasn't doing any good so I re-gifted it and now my friend has it, and says he gains more push-ups by doing his own routine. It goes something like 100 push ups within 5 minutes without ever leaving the ground. so when you get tired you just have to hold the push-up form. He does it everyday except Sunday, if you want to give it a shot. I never found the motivation for it though.

AndreBlanks
05-19-08, 12:50 PM
I hear this thing sucks? I had the perfect push-up and it wasn't doing any good so I re-gifted it and now my friend has it, and says he gains more push-ups by doing his own routine. It goes something like 100 push ups within 5 minutes without ever leaving the ground. so when you get tired you just have to hold the push-up form. He does it everyday except Sunday, if you want to give it a shot. I never found the motivation for it though.

I've heard the Perfect Pushup is better because your hands flat can do some damage but I've never heard of anyone hurting themselves using the flat hand position.

You'd have to have no job, or be off on summer break or something to do this, but do a Yahoo search (Google gave me different results) for "drop and give me 100 routine" and it's the first link. It was developed by a Russian whose name I can't remember but you'd be able to find it-but I remember reading he's helped train special forces and whatnot. But his program is supposed to get you up to 100 pushups in one set. I've never tried--it's literally like an all-day thing.

mikeab84
06-05-08, 01:53 PM
I am definately going to begin the Recon Ron program today!! I'm going to start around 6 and then reward myself by watching my Celtics beat on the Lakers!

Nez46
06-06-08, 07:26 PM
HANDS FLAT DOING DAMAGE!!! Ha yeah well tell that to the guys who do many and i mean hundreds.

joecoul89
06-28-08, 01:14 AM
this recon ron program works pretty well. i started in october doing 9, i can do 18 now...

Pete0331
06-28-08, 02:11 AM

The perfect push up is alright, but it only works if you use it in conjunction with an exercise program.
It does well for targeting the fore arms. Strong fore arms are essential for pistol shooting.

The perfect pull up looks like a good idea. I'm not sure I want to drop $100 on it though.

SlingerDun
06-28-08, 02:33 AM
Been using 2 empty quart size metal paint cans to execute the so called perfect push-up for around 6 years now and i can't seem to wear them out. Simply Amazing.

ZSKI
06-30-08, 10:59 PM

Not many people agree with me but you do that low rep high weight ****, ya it makes you look big but endurance wise its ****. Every time i lift weights in anyway its 20 18 and 15 reps. The low rep **** is looks high reps is man strength

ZSKI
06-30-08, 11:03 PM
The perfect push up is alright, but it only works if you use it in conjunction with an exercise program.
It does well for targeting the fore arms. Strong fore arms are essential for pistol shooting.

The perfect pull up looks like a good idea. I'm not sure I want to drop $100 on it though.

I payed 20 bucks for it and honestly the first 3 times i couldn't get through the work out if you do it right. i normally do 90-100 push ups at a time but i could only max 30 and put it this way mid way through the second 2 minute drill i had to do ***** push ups. Not to mention a lot easier on my joints my arms used to pop during normal ones

coltie52
07-01-08, 03:02 PM

1-5 (50)
6-10 (75)
11-15 (100)
16-20 (150)

Semper Fi!!!!
Thank you sir. I will go give it a shot right now and in a month I'll let you know what I'm at. Now I can to 3 but I just started an intense program to help me shed some weight so I can get my pull ups up before I leave for Boot Camp. Once again thank you for this.
Colten

Garrett90
08-11-08, 12:29 PM
For the Recon Ron program, can I do sets of push ups throughout the week too? Or should I rest my arms while I am not doing pull ups? I'm starting the program and I would like to continue doing my push ups, but I do not want to hinder any chance of increasing my pull ups by wearing my arms out too much.

mrod32
11-18-08, 06:02 PM
the drill instructors program really works, it is a lot of work but pays great dividends.

MasterGunsMCRD
11-19-08, 02:12 AM
:p
Believe it or not but there are many good runners and they suck at crunches and pull-ups. A lot of the bigger bellie recruits would do many more crunches yhan the skinny runners, and as for why? I really have no idea but it is the truth.

MasterGunsMCRD
11-19-08, 02:13 AM
Camp Lejeune NC

PooleeWickline
01-29-09, 01:26 PM
What is the drillinstructors program? Where can I find it?

Hamelink83
01-29-09, 02:47 PM
First page, second post

PooleeWickline
01-29-09, 10:00 PM
Thanks

us marriage
06-05-09, 05:45 AM
The Recon Ron Pull-up Program is a fitness workout to get Marines, or anyone else, into shape. This program is guaranteed to enable anybody (that can already do six pull-ups to reach twenty pullups in five months.
To successfully use the Recon Ron Pull-up Program, one must follow the table below by doing five sets of pull-ups a night except for Sundays. Each set is specified on the table. To start the program, one must first be able to do six pull-ups. Also, all pull-ups must be “Dead Hang” pull-ups, where arms are fully extended before doing another pull-up.

LoveOfCountry
09-23-09, 03:39 PM
If you're doing these programs every day... when do your muscles have time to repair?

sparkie
09-23-09, 03:46 PM
If you're doing these programs every day... when do your muscles have time to repair?

Do you think you need repair time? I never got any. Must be a new generation thing.

MarinesFTW
09-23-09, 03:47 PM
Once again, why are we bumping up really old threads?

LoveOfCountry
09-23-09, 03:57 PM
Why does it matter if something getting bumped up? I had a question about this thread... not a new thread. Is it really bothering you that badly?

LoveOfCountry
09-23-09, 04:02 PM
Sparkie, I don't know if I need repair time... that's why I asked. I did 75 pull ups yesterday. My arms are dead. Should I try and do another 75 today, or will that tear muscles and hurt joints?

Gerken
09-25-09, 06:53 PM
I just read this thread and I think that I'll be starting the Drill Istructors program tomorrow. Also now I'm working out with my recruiter 5 days a week, so I should be able to max out on everything by my ship date. Thanks for bumping this thread, if you wouldn't have I wouldn't have found this pull up program.

EastofWest18
05-31-10, 12:04 PM
For 5 weeks I was stuck at 8 pull-ups. I didn't understand it, I work out for at least an hour 6 days a week, and I switch up my routine. I saw that I had built tone and mass, but was not able to advance my pull-ups numbers. I have no clue what to do. Finally, I decided to take up the advice of my first recruiter and this thread and tried the Recon Ron program. I am finally advancing again, and did 9 today after plateauing for far too long. I cannot wait for next week when I get to try for 10!!! I figured that I would bump this thread up so anyone else who was having problems could take a look and give it a try.

Yonkers
05-31-10, 01:00 PM
For 5 weeks I was stuck at 8 pull-ups. I didn't understand it, I work out for at least an hour 6 days a week, and I switch up my routine. I saw that I had built tone and mass, but was not able to advance my pull-ups numbers. I have no clue what to do. Finally, I decided to take up the advice of my first recruiter and this thread and tried the Recon Ron program. I am finally advancing again, and did 9 today after plateauing for far too long. I cannot wait for next week when I get to try for 10!!! I figured that I would bump this thread up so anyone else who was having problems could take a look and give it a try.

Sounds like an infomercial.

But the best advice for pull ups is to get into a rhythm and don't think about it, just do it. Maybe get a song stuck into your head and go to the beat of it.

I tend to do the "1,2,3,4,I,Love,Marine,Corps".

lmm11205
05-31-10, 01:09 PM
I started the armstrong pull up plan once i Deped around 4 months ago. I was maxing at 4 then now im up to 18.

EastofWest18
05-31-10, 08:15 PM
Sounds like an infomercial.

Hahaha, its free. When I get passionate about something I tend to get really enthusiastic. :yes:

If it helped me so much, why wouldn't I share it with other future Marines?

Yonkers
05-31-10, 10:40 PM
Hahaha, its free. When I get passionate about something I tend to get really enthusiastic. :yes:

If it helped me so much, why wouldn't I share it with other future Marines?

Yeah, very true... but reading some of these posts... it sounds like someone is making fake accounts and then replying to this thread in order to make it sound too good to be true :D

C_Squash_D
04-05-11, 04:19 PM
Sorry for bumping guys, but I have a question about the Recon Ron program.
So it says you have to do 5 sets... after the first set I'm a bit exhausted and tend to take a little longer break. I want to do 20 pull ups. It is my #1 goal, so I want to do this stuff right.
How long should you take a break between sets?

I also tried drillinstructor's program but one of my friends is at 32 pull ups right now and he said it only took him a couple of months to get there using the Recon Ron program, so I'll try that for now.

I have a little more than 3 months before I ship, a few weeks ago I was able to do 15 pull ups, but for some reason I can't do em anymore at this moment, so I want to put some more effort into this again. I started Recon Ron yesterday, doing 2 weeks of pull ups each day (basically I'm skipping to the point where I'm actually at with my pull up max).

Tbrown10
04-05-11, 07:55 PM
i prefer the armstrong program myself

robbyj
04-10-11, 12:19 AM
Think throwing in 15 push ups between each set would be beneficial?

bposey8152
04-10-11, 12:33 AM
To improve your pushups yes. Won't do anything for your pull ups except make you tired for the next set and you'll do less.

robbyj
04-20-11, 06:07 PM
To those of you doing the Recon Ron program, something I have done and is working for more pulls is to do it twice, one overhand, one underhand, works more muscles and when your maxing out and get tired you can switch grips and maybe get one or two more pullups out.

calebh180
04-20-11, 06:39 PM
Get a perfect pullup bar.. its awsome

robbyj
04-20-11, 07:02 PM
Get a perfect pullup bar.. its awsome

very true, then you can do it with various grips, i do it 3 times with over hand, underhand, and then with those prong looking things

calebh180
04-20-11, 07:10 PM
yup, the prong things are crucial

holey336
04-20-11, 07:53 PM
the prong things are for nuetral grip pull ups and they do help a lot especially when first getting up to about 10-12 but after that they're kind of like riding a bike with training wheels when u can already ride without them, dont get stuck on nuetral for too long, also push ups do help strength some of the core muscles u use for pull ups, they're just not hit ass hard, but it will help. also theres a program called 7 weeks to 50 push ups, its way longer than 7 weeks but got me from 3 pullups to 15-16 in 3 months or so, although im platueing now and cant get out of it so i might try this routine, any ideas on where i should start? dont wanna go to the beggining i only have 6 weeks or so left

robbyj
04-20-11, 08:07 PM
the prong things are for nuetral grip pull ups and they do help a lot especially when first getting up to about 10-12 but after that they're kind of like riding a bike with training wheels when u can already ride without them, dont get stuck on nuetral for too long, also push ups do help strength some of the core muscles u use for pull ups, they're just not hit ass hard, but it will help. also theres a program called 7 weeks to 50 push ups, its way longer than 7 weeks but got me from 3 pullups to 15-16 in 3 months or so, although im platueing now and cant get out of it so i might try this routine, any ideas on where i should start? dont wanna go to the beggining i only have 6 weeks or so left

skip to week 11 and put weights around your feet

holey336
04-20-11, 08:15 PM
skip to week 11 and put weights around your feet

i was thinking about going to week 14 but no weights, i think i like ur idea more. how much weight should i be using??, it feels like 4 pounds per ankle makes a HUGE diff. like 10 times harder.

PooleeGewarges
04-20-11, 08:21 PM
At my school, I do some pullups with a weight belt, first starting with 25lbs. Do as many As I can, then drop the weight to a 10lb on the belt, do as many as I can, then take off the belt, and do as many as I can.

Weighted pullup are awesome to improve on getting more pullups. But I recommend people doing this if and only if they have over 10 pullups.

holey336
04-20-11, 08:23 PM
damn, i do maybe 10 or so pull ups with 8 pounds :(, how many u do with 25 lbs?

PooleeGewarges
04-20-11, 08:33 PM
damn, i do maybe 10 or so pull ups with 8 pounds :(, how many u do with 25 lbs?

I am pretty sure I nailed 9 with it, but it was tough. Do not worry, as long as you are feeling it with what you are doing then you should improve. ANND, other back exercises help you do more pullups. Back extensions, dumbbell rows, lat rolls. Grip exercises help with gripping the bar. Stuff like that.

I managed to get from 16 to where I'm at from doing other exercises that help strengthen the muscles you use to do pullups.

holey336
04-20-11, 08:37 PM
I am pretty sure I nailed 9 with it, but it was tough. Do not worry, as long as you are feeling it with what you are doing then you should improve. ANND, other back exercises help you do more pullups. Back extensions, dumbbell rows, lat rolls. Grip exercises help with gripping the bar. Stuff like that.

I managed to get from 16 to where I'm at from doing other exercises that help strengthen the muscles you use to do pullups.

damn i gotta step my game up n do it quick, lol. i think after my next pull up work out (tomorrow) im going to take a 10 min breather at the end, load up my ankle weights to the max (20lbs) and just go for broke, if i can get in 5 ill b happy

PooleeGewarges
04-20-11, 08:40 PM
damn i gotta step my game up n do it quick, lol. i think after my next pull up work out (tomorrow) im going to take a 10 min breather at the end, load up my ankle weights to the max (20lbs) and just go for broke, if i can get in 5 ill b happy

There is no need to rush, as long as you are improving on your last IST then you should be fine. Other than that, also follow the pullup program that is on this thread because I believe it can work for you.

holey336
04-20-11, 08:43 PM
gotta rush a little, my times winding down and gotta move with intensity ya know, but i hear what ur saying, my IST hasnt improved though, i've been in a rut these last 2 weeks, gotta break out of it, its driving me crazy

PooleeGewarges
04-20-11, 08:48 PM
gotta rush a little, my times winding down and gotta move with intensity ya know, but i hear what ur saying, my IST hasnt improved though, i've been in a rut these last 2 weeks, gotta break out of it, its driving me crazy

Well, you ship out before me so I will be looking up to you 2nd phasers while my ass is fresh off receiving. :confused:

Barnett20110425
04-21-11, 12:24 PM
I'm doing 5ish with 20lbs weight vest.... 14 with nothing...
Shipping out in 2 weeks 4 days....
was really hoping to get my 20 before I ship..

HOPEFULLY I'll have 20 by the end of boot camp

holey336
04-21-11, 05:52 PM
nice, i did some with 20 lbs today after my regular pull up/ chin up routine, i got in 2 sets of 5 chin ups and one set of 3 pull ups, felt great, i still have 5 or 6 weeks left so hopefully i can make some gains b4 i leave

calebh180
04-21-11, 07:28 PM
where did you guys get weighted vests at? all the ones ive seen are expensive as hell

holey336
04-21-11, 07:47 PM
where did you guys get weighted vests at? all the ones ive seen are expensive as hell
the one i was looking at on ebay was 80$(after shipping and everything) for 60 lbs, thats the cheapest ive seen, n it was top of the line too. but i used ankle/wrist weights, got em on amazon, 20$ for 20 lbs (2 10 lbs adjustable bands)

robbyj
04-21-11, 08:22 PM
I'm doing 5ish with 20lbs weight vest.... 14 with nothing...
Shipping out in 2 weeks 4 days....
was really hoping to get my 20 before I ship..

HOPEFULLY I'll have 20 by the end of boot camp

Your number of pullups will go down, not up.

calebh180
04-21-11, 08:31 PM
the one i was looking at on ebay was 80$(after shipping and everything) for 60 lbs, thats the cheapest ive seen, n it was top of the line too. but i used ankle/wrist weights, got em on amazon, 20$ for 20 lbs (2 10 lbs adjustable bands)

yea, I want something like 40lbs and as of now im broke so I guess ill stick with emtying out my bookbag and putting dumbells in it

ErikSandstrom
04-27-12, 10:46 AM
I'm currently able to do 16 or so chinups on my first set, dropping down to around 10 by my third set. I have just under 17 weeks before I leave for boot camp and I'd love to be at 20. I've plateau'd somewhat and I'm looking to improve. Can anyone recommend a routine to help me get those last four?

ErikSandstrom
04-27-12, 11:02 AM
Edit: reread MSgt's workout plan. Thanks. Will plan to start that ASAP.

usmcpooleed4
04-27-12, 06:26 PM
when i went to meps, i was doing 12 pullups. that was in november. haven't really worked on them but im up to 17 as of last IST. doing 106 crunches but my run time is my struggle. 1.5 miles is 10 flat. just gotta keep working on all of them

DSSpev
08-23-12, 10:55 PM
Just to clarify you do the sets once a day and once only and then do 5 of the same sets once more the next day, correct?

pignato33
12-14-14, 02:11 AM
this seems like a really effective way. i joined beginning of november and ship out jan 5th. im 6'3" 210 is muscle and im having a hard time with pullups. i can do the 100crunches and 22min 3mile. but pullups im at 13ish. what can i do seeing i ship really soon

Dellomes
12-15-14, 04:07 PM
I DEP'd in at the end of September 2014 with 6 pull ups. Right now I have 18 pull ups (December 2014) and I still have 3 months before I ship.

My recruiter told me to get a pull up bar for my room and do pull ups every time I enter and exit the room. I only recently got a pull up bar, but I do have a gym membership to 24 Hour Fitness and some dumbbells at home.

What I've been working on that I think has helped the most is bicep curls and hammer curls at home. Hammer curls are basically bicep curls with your wrist turned 90 degrees like it's a hammer. The hammer curls not only work your biceps for pull ups, but also strengthens your grip so that you can hit your max without worrying about losing your grip to sweaty palms and whatnot.

Also at the gym there's this assisted pull/chin up machine that you can adjust the weight to help you do pull ups easier and it'll push you up from your feet. I basically do my max pull ups, rest for like 30 seconds, add the lightest weight assistance and max out again. After each time, add the next lightest weight to assistance and max out every time until you reach 50 pull ups. The goal is to get back up on the pull up bar the least amount of times as possible while maxing out every time. Hope this helps!