PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

TylerA23
04-19-06, 10:26 PM
Is this realistic?
I'm a Junior in highschool, I would like to DEP in this summer, finish my senior year, got to bootcamp,be in the reserves, do college while in the reserves, finish 4 year college, go to PLC, get comissioned as 2nd Lt.-active duty, then stay in for career if possible, get out and persue a career in law enforcement or homeland security , with the degree in criminology or criminal justice that i would have earned? ... any ideas or thoughts...

Radiofantry
04-19-06, 10:40 PM
Is this realistic?
I'm a Junior in highschool, I would like to DEP in this summer, finish my senior year, got to bootcamp,be in the reserves, do college while in the reserves, finish 4 year college, go to PLC, get comissioned as 2nd Lt.-active duty, then stay in for career if possible, get out and persue a career in law enforcement or homeland security , with the degree in criminology or criminal justice that i would have earned? ... any ideas or thoughts...

Sounds 100% realistic to me bro.

SR-25
04-20-06, 12:59 AM
Is this realistic?

Sounds EXACTLY like my plan. Except staying in the Corps for the long haul. I want to be in the application process for FBI, DEA, and DSS by the time I'm 26.

BigCat1
04-20-06, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you've got it all figured out....now all you have to do is execute the plan. Good Luck!

AmyG
04-20-06, 09:01 AM
Well, nice to know I'm not the only one with similar plans! lol

rktect3j
04-20-06, 09:17 AM
There may be age restrictions by the time you go for "law enforcement." My wife works for ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) for Homeland Security. 38 is the shut down age. Actually 37 years and 364 days. They base this on the retirement policy of 20 years prior to 57 years of age. No give for military service. I actually looked into it a while back. So if you are 18 when you enlist and retire 20 years from active service at 38 you will miss out. Plus you plan on 4 years of schooling and then it seems like 20 years as an officer. Puts you at about 42. No government job will allow this. I don't know about the police force though.

AmyG
04-20-06, 09:21 AM
Something else you might like to look into is ATF, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and explosives. It's law enforcement, and from what I've heard, somewhat more intense than FBI and so on. But it all depends on you.

rktect3j
04-20-06, 09:24 AM
There may be age restrictions by the time you go for "law enforcement." My wife works for ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) for Homeland Security. 38 is the shut down age. Actually 37 years and 364 days. They base this on the retirement policy of 20 years prior to 57 years of age. No give for military service. I actually looked into it a while back. So if you are 18 when you enlist and retire 20 years from active service at 38 you will miss out. Plus you plan on 4 years of schooling and then it seems like 20 years as an officer. Puts you at about 42. No government job will allow this. I don't know about the police force though.
I also want to point out that that restriction is for special agents who carry a firearm. I think you can still work for those federal agencies but not in the capacity of a special agent. More admin type stuff then cop work.

Tallboot
04-20-06, 09:27 AM
Its very realistic, its 100% if you choose it to be

SR-25
04-20-06, 11:36 AM
Something else you might like to look into is ATF, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and explosives. It's law enforcement, and from what I've heard, somewhat more intense than FBI and so on. But it all depends on you.

I would not say it is more intense. They have a different mission than F.B.I. But they FBI still remains the hardest to get into, qualifications wise.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-20-06, 11:37 AM
Sadly, I don't know of any police agency that will hire you after you have had time to retire from the military. Of course, there are options, such as CIA field work, that would allow you to do something close.

SR-25
04-20-06, 11:40 AM
http://www.sandiego.gov/police/join/officer.shtml#Requirements
"No age limit"

That was just the first one I looked at. Most City/County agencies do not have age restrictions.

TylerA23
04-20-06, 03:02 PM
hey thanks for all of the replies... good info and motivation

LivinSoFree
04-21-06, 12:30 AM
Go check out the PLC threads I've posted to in the Recruit/Poolee forums- they'll give you some good word.

Radiofantry
04-21-06, 08:54 AM
The upper age limit for Border Patrol is 40, I was just recently looking at their qualifications as something I might like to do when I finish school. They like ex-Military and College types!