PDA

View Full Version : Rank

ja98
04-14-06, 07:02 PM
I want to make rank through out my career in the Marines so I can stay in for 20 years. Are their many that are forced out due to not making rank? I know it depends on your mos but as a aviation mechanic is it hard to make E-4 in four years?

rktect3j
04-14-06, 07:08 PM
I don't want to sound bitter here. When I was in from 89-93 my MOS was 0352. I needed a score of over 1400 to make corporal. It was nearly impossible but I did it and I got the rank about 6 monthes before I EAS'd. I don't know if there was any other MOS that needed that score. I think that if you are not in the infantry field you will make E-4 unless you really screw up. JMHO. There is no problem in making rank of E-4 after 4 years if you intend to stay in. No harn no foul.

jryanjack
04-14-06, 07:15 PM
I made Cpl in a little under 2 years via a meritorous board and then stayed a Cpl for over 4 years and was the senior Cpl in my MOS before being promoted to Sgt 6 months before my EAS. Getting promoted all depends on a number of factors, you and how good a Marine you are only being one of them.

Phantom Blooper
04-14-06, 10:25 PM
Unless times have changed you have twelve years to make SSGT/E-6. Then you are discharged. There may be exceptions to this rule depending on your MOS. And yes some MOS's are slower than others to...

Zippo
04-15-06, 03:40 PM
I think that if you are not in the infantry field you will make E-4 unless you really screw up.

is that true? does infantry promote slower than other MOS's?

servehard
04-15-06, 10:44 PM
Other MARINES told me that since everything evolves around grunts...that infantry mos's actually is the fastest advancment...

ja98
04-15-06, 10:59 PM
What factors are involved in deciding if someone gets promoted?
For example good pt score,
Over all good Marine, exc.

Accord
04-16-06, 12:18 AM
I've had Vietnam era Marines tell me that if the infantry is promoting quickly, you should be worried.

jryanjack
04-16-06, 05:39 AM
Promotion through LCpl, at least in my day, was pretty automatic - it was all based on Time in Grade and Time in Service requirement, honestly, I do not remember what they were, but pretty much if you kept your nose clean you were promoted. For promotion to NCO ranks, Cpl and Sgt, you have a "cutting" score that is set by HQMC that you have to meet. That score is based on PFT score, rifle score, number of MCI's completed, average of pros and cons, time in service, and time in grade all adds together to get the cutting score - if there is one, if the Corps does not need any more Cpl's or Sgt's in your MOS then no one will be promoted, unless its via a meritorious board or combat promotion. Promotion for SNCO ranks is all based on the needs of the Corps, and then only the top Marines are promoted as assessed by their fitness reports and a promotion board in HQMC.

While I was not an 03, I had some 03 friends and they always complained about slow promotions, however, its probably very cyclical and what I hard and experienced in my day may not apply now. For example in 1987 my MOS promoted something like 20 Cpl's to Sgt, making some Sgts with only 3 years time in service. After that they did not promote another Sgt regularly until I was promoted in 1992 (there were 8 or 9 other promoted with me - and BTW, my MOS only had about 250 members so we pretty much all knew each other, or knew of each other).

Teufelhund514
04-16-06, 03:01 PM
Ja98,
The Corps will give you opportunities to make rank. While some MOS's are slow to promote, do not be discouraged, the promotion cycle changes all the time. Maintain a high PFT, do all your education and correspondence courses, earn High Pro/Con marks, maintain and earn a high rifle score, and be the best damn Marine you can be. You can also earn extra points to your composite score by serving in the billets of Drill Instructor, Marine Security Guard, and as a Recruiter. I am a 1371 (comabt Engineer) and made Cpl. at 2 years and three months. One of the things that helped me out was by helping recruiters out and referring three people to the Marine Corps as a Lance Corporal. At our unit, they are pushing Marines to step up to the plate for meritorious promotions, so don't feel afraid to have fire in your ass and take initiative on things. Feel free to contact me off line and I will answer any other questions that may arise. Best of luck on Paradise Island as well!
Semper FI!