PDA

View Full Version : How long?

KJonesP8ntball
04-08-06, 04:03 PM
Hey I was just wondering how long will it be until I will have time to drive again once I am out of basic. From what I understand I (obviously) cannot drive during (+3 months) then I cannot drive during during my time home (+10 days), then SOI. So I am looking at 4 months approximatly. Am I correct in this assumption or am I missing anything?

MKinney
04-08-06, 04:56 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to drive when on the 10 days leave? (I have not heard this from anyone)

CrazyBrave83
04-08-06, 05:13 PM
All right Poolees, I've heard it mentioned a thousand times here on this board (and corrected just as many times) but apparently it's not clicking...

Marine Corps Recruit Training is referred to as "Recruit Training," "MCRD," or "Boot."

"Basic" was not one of the listed variants. Basic Training is the Army, and you didn't join the Army now did ya?

And as for driving, you wont need a car while at MCRD, during your 10 days you'll be able to drive, and at SOI I'm almost certain you have weekend Lib, but as for owning a car, yeah you're looking at a period of:

Boot Camp - 13 Weeks
Leave - 10 days (extended if you apply for PRASP)
SOI (dependent on MOS)

If you're not an 03, you'll go through MCT, which is 17 days long, if I recall...and if you are an 03, you'll go to ITB where you'll be for 30 days and change, depending on if you go 0311 or another job with the grunts.

ssgtt32
04-09-06, 12:54 PM
If my memory is correct, you can not bring a POV (privately owned vehicle) to any MOS school's, once all training is complete and you get to your primary duty station you will be able to drive/own a car!

Semper Fi! and good luck in you future endevors!
Maurice

hawks
04-09-06, 02:52 PM
why does it matter? or are you talking about insurance reasons or somethign like that?

Zippo
04-09-06, 04:18 PM
it doesnt matter. if he has a question and would like it answered, he's at the right place.

Bige1371
04-09-06, 09:40 PM
About a year after I got out of engineer school all the boot's that were checking in said they where allowed to have cars at mos school. So I guess it just depends on what your Mos is. Don't worry you wont forget how to drive.