View Full Version : Amid chaos of blasts, a selfless act of valor

thedrifter
04-07-06, 08:19 AM
Amid chaos of blasts, a selfless act of valor
Corpsman ignored his own wounds to aid others
By Rick Rogers
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 7, 2006

In a war marred by prisoner-abuse scandals and rife with political wrangling, Nathaniel R. Leoncio's heroic actions in Iraq are the pure stuff of legend.

Leoncio, a 24-year-old corpsman, received the Bronze Star yesterday at Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton.

The Navy petty officer third class was on patrol with Marines in southern Ramadi on Oct. 4 when they were struck by a series of roadside bombs. The explosives killed one Marine and seriously injured three other men, including Leoncio.

At least two of the bombs detonated under the 6-ton Humvee that carried Leoncio, flipping it upside down and on top of him, severing his right leg just below the knee.

Although his right thighbone was shattered and he was bleeding internally, Leoncio refused to be evacuated. He ignored his wounds and cared for a severely injured Marine, likely saving the man's life.

Lt. Bradley Watson, who was riding with Leoncio and would later write the recommendation letter for the corpsman's medal from his hospital bed, said: “It was one of the most outstanding combat actions I saw, if not the most outstanding. I saw my two combat tours of Iraq. I have no hesitation in saying that.

“Doc Leoncio knew he was very seriously injured,” Watson said. “He was spitting up blood, he had shrapnel in his stomach, and he had lost so much blood. He had every right to be worried about his own injures, but he wasn't.

Amid the chaos of the attack, Watson yelled for a corpsman.

“And (Leoncio) said, 'Why are you calling for a corpsman when you have one right here?' ” Watson recalled. “It was funny and inspiring at the same time.”

So he wouldn't bleed to death, Leoncio calmly told a Marine to tie a tourniquet on his injured leg. As he gave the instructions, Leoncio treated a platoon commander who was bleeding profusely from a fist-sized shrapnel wound in his hip.

Capt. Rory Quinn, who was riding in a Humvee behind Leoncio's, described what it took to get the corpsman to leave the scene.

“We had to lie to Doc and tell him that all the Marines had been taken off the battlefield before he would allow himself to be moved,” said Quinn, who knew that a Marine was still trapped in a wrecked Humvee.

“He won't brag on himself,” Quinn added, “so I have to do it for him.”

Ten minutes elapsed before Leoncio believed that all the injured were receiving proper care. Then he allowed others to evacuate him. He was sent to Germany and then the United States for long-term care and rehabilitation.

Yesterday, Leoncio balanced on two crutches and a single leg as Lt. Gen. John Sattler, commander of the Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, pinned a Bronze Star with Combat Distinguishing Device above the corpsman's heart.

Dozens of people attended the ceremony, including about 20 of Leoncio's relatives and friends, some of whom had flown in from his native land, the Philippines.

Leoncio seemed embarrassed by the attention.

The ceremony “was a little too big and unnecessary. I wish they just sent it to me in the mail,” he joked.

“As everyone comes up to me and thanks me for my service, I want to thank all of you for your service,” said Leoncio, whose face is dotted by gray scars that he calls “shrapnel tattoos.”

“I don't remember what I did,” he continued, “but I know that anyone in my unit would've helped me out like I helped them out.”

The Oct. 4 attack occurred during Operation Bowie, in which about 1,200 U.S. and Iraqi troops searched the outskirts of Ramadi for insurgents and arms caches.

The Marines of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment – based at Twentynine Palms – were moving toward their designated patrol area when they were hit from the rear by an improvised explosive device. A few seconds later, at least two blasts hit the lead Humvee, which carried Leoncio, Watson and other Marines.

Last week, the Lima Company returned from Iraq. Leoncio, who was wearing a prosthetic leg, was there to welcome them home.

“He was standing on two legs and it was very good to see him,” said Watson, executive officer for the 3rd Battalion.

Thirteen U.S. corpsmen have died in combat during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to the Web site www.corpsmen.com.

In addition to serving in wars and other foreign conflicts, corpsmen have responded to natural disasters, military accidents and other peacetime emergencies. They belong to the Navy Hospital Corps.

Currently, the Corps' 23,000 regular and 6,000 reserve members are assigned to naval hospitals, clinics, surface ships and submarines worldwide.

Leoncio, who lives in Temecula, plans to pursue a career in the medical field after finishing his military service. He said he has undergone “a ton” of surgeries and has a few more to go.

Leoncio is a special find, said Command Master Chief Richard Moriarity, the top enlisted man at Camp Pendleton's Field Medical Service School, where corpsmen train to accompany Marines for war duty.

“There have only been maybe 50 Bronze Stars awarded to corpsmen during the Iraq war. This award is rare because it is a combat award and the criteria for such a high award is very strict,” Moriarity said.

As Leoncio leaned on his crutches, a red carpet rolled out before him, 90 future corpsmen dressed in their summer whites filed by. All of them shook his hand, and many of them had a look of awe on their faces.

Rick Rogers: (760) 476-8212; rick.rogers@uniontrib.com

Ellie

thedrifter
04-07-06, 08:20 AM
Hospital corpsman receives Bronze Star

By: ALEXANDRA DELUCA - For the North County Times

CAMP PENDLETON ---- Marine Capt. Rory Quinn stood at a podium Thursday afternoon, outside of Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton, his faded desert-colored digital cammies a stark contrast to the brilliant blue sky behind him. As Navy and Marine Corps flags flapped in the background, Quinn addressed the young man seated in front of him in the audience.

"Doc, you are an inspiration to Lima Company," said Quinn, the commander of Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, based out of Twentynine Palms.

The "Doc" that Quinn was referring to was hospital Corpsman Third Class Nathaniel Leoncio, 24, who was awarded the Bronze Star medal at a ceremony Thursday afternoon.

The Bronze Star medal is awarded to service members who distinguishes themselves by heroic or meritorious achievement or service. Leoncio, who served as platoon corpsman for Lima Company during its deployment to Ramadi, Iraq last year, was awarded the medal for his actions Oct. 4.

On that day, as Quinn explained to the audience, members of Lima Company were traveling south in Ramadi in a 21-vehicle convoy, when an bomb exploded between the first and second vehicles in the convoy. Immediately afterwards, four mortar rounds detonated underneath the first vehicle, in which Leoncio was traveling. The driver of the vehicle was killed instantly, and Leoncio, along with the other occupants, was badly wounded.

Despite his injuries ---- which included internal bleeding and a shattered right femur that eventually required his leg to be amputated below the knee ---- and being pinned underneath what was left of the Humvee, Leoncio kept calm and instructed the Marines who came to his rescue how to apply a tourniquet to his badly wounded right leg. After he was extricated from the wreckage, Leoncio was being taken to the medical evacuation vehicle when he saw that his platoon commander, 2nd Lt. Matthew Hendricks, who had been in the Humvee with him, had also been injured in the blast.

Despite his own injuries, Leoncio turned his attention to Hendricks, treating Hendricks' wounds with a field dressing and waiting until he was certain that Hendricks had been stabilized before he allowed himself to be taken in for medical treatment.

"Despite the fact you won't brag, I clearly will," said Quinn, his voice choked with emotion after telling the Marines, sailors and Leoncio's family members in the audience about Leoncio's act of valor. "You're a hero, Doc."

With that proclamation, Quinn stepped off the podium and hugged Leoncio, who was seated in the front row next to his mother and several dozen of his relatives who had come from as far as the Philippines for the award ceremony.

Leoncio, his green digital cammies pinned just underneath his right knee, made his way up to the podium on crutches and stood stoically as his citation was read. After pinning the medal onto Leoncio's chest, Lt. Gen. John Sattler, commanding general of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, said although he was not supposed to speak at the ceremony, he couldn't help but add a few words.

"When you look at this brave warrior standing beside me, evil is in for a rough ride," said Sattler. "Oorah!"

An enthusiastic "oorah!" was the response from dozens of white-clad sailors standing in formation on either side of the audience.

At the conclusion of the ceremony, Leoncio humbly addressed the audience.

"(This) is a little too big and absolutely unnecessary," he said as he looked out at the crowd of dignitaries that had gathered in his honor. "I kind of wish they would just send it to me in the mail."

After the ceremony, Leoncio, who was also awarded a Purple Heart medal, said he doesn't think of himself as a hero.

"I know it's something that everyone in my unit would have done for me," he said. "It's just a ribbon. I didn't do anything big. That's what we do."

Ellie