PDA

View Full Version : I'd like some advice...

DevilPup2004
12-06-02, 10:49 PM
I know I want to be an officer of Marines someday, but first I want either enlisted experience, or attend a school with a corps of cadets. I know I don't want to do straight ROTC, because for me personally, I don't like the thought of just a few hours a week. Obviously your Corps is satisfied with the Lieutenants turned out by NROTC, or else it wouldn't still be around. I like the concept of a corps of cadets, though, because you start out at the bottom and work your way up, while living there 24/7. I just want to be able to take care of my Marines, if I have what it takes to become one myself, and I think I will like to know more of their perspective.

I'm applying for an appointment to USNA, but I don't think I'll get one. I would absolutely love to attend VMI, but with out of state tuition it's almost 24K/year. Same with The Citadel.

I'm also looking at enlisting in the Reserves and getting my degree, then hopefully getting accepted to OCS and going AD. I was talking with my Recruiter, and he suggested that I go AD to begin with. He said I'll get more of the enlisted experience I want, and besides, most of the recruits-turned-Marines that had signed with him who had gone Reserves regretted not going AD. He said it's extremely hard to go AD from Reserves. What he didn't mention, which a Marine friend of mine reminded me of, is that it's impossible to Reserves from active until it's time to re-up.

Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Marines.

mrbsox
12-06-02, 11:04 PM
My Opinion ...

Go Enlisted first. Do a tour in the FMF, with a line Company. Work towards whatever you want to do later with Study Courses.

ONLY, by going 'GRUNT', can you get the real feel, for what the Corps is expeceted to be able to do. EVERY OTHER MOS, is to support the field Marine, one way or another.

With that knowledge, YOU will have a better feel for how to support the GRUNT, in what ever OFFICE you find yourself in. Three things EVERY Officer should remember:

1) Take care of the Troops

2) Take care of the Troops

and 3) Take care of the Troops.

And what ever you do, do it as if your life depended upon it. It just might one day.

SHOOTER1
12-06-02, 11:05 PM
Enlist , if your good enough, you can git a WO commision, your talking about being a Mustang, and your right, thats the best way to git to know how to handle Marines,and you will gain more respect from them, because you came up thru the ranks, just my opinio, Semper Fi.

wrbones
12-06-02, 11:25 PM
Sounds like ya done yer reseach darlin. Best thing I an tell ya is to read the book "Chesty" by Colonel Hoffman. Might give ya an idea of which way to go, keepin' in mind the differences between then and now. You just need to make a decision and part of that is what you've done, Do yer research, using a variety of sources, see what others have to say about the subject matter, if ya got time, and make a decision!

Always keep in mind that the Marine Corps is a relatiely small community and that promotions in any pay grade are very competitive! I say this as it sounds like you might make the Corps a career.

I saw ya lookin' at that thread on OCS. One of the posts I made their linked to some info on officer programs for enlisted Marines.

Sounds like yer on the right track

Barndog
12-07-02, 03:50 AM
I will concurr with the previous comments. Becoming an enlisted Marine FIRST will reap rewards and benefits for your career in becoming an Officer.
I've had all of the above - VMI, NROTC, USNA, The Citadel and Mustang Officers. (I also spent 9 years in the National Guard too, after 6 + in the Corps )
I firmly believe that Terry (mrbsox) hit the proverbial nail on the head: take care of your Marines, take care of your Marines, and whatever you do:

TAKE CARE OF YOUR MARINES!!!! Your life and a$$ may depend upon them. If you don't in a combat situation, they die. And, the greater likelyhood is that you will too.

Something else bothers me - you are NOT BETTER than an enlisted Marine, just because you may wear bars or Officer insignia (quote): "I will like to know more of their perspective" (end quote)
Right now, yer not squat. You are just another civilian wannabe. There's lots of wannabe's in this world, I meet at least one a day. And, when I do - I put them in their place - as a civilian. If you want to talk about the Marine Corps to me, then you had better either be one, or have a ship out date that I can verify with my eyes. (I know the recruiters in town by the way) Otherwise, yer wasting my time. I don't have time for wannabe's, looking to impress someone who's made the grade already. I don't impress easily. Not at all.

The one kind of Marine:

THE GREEN KIND!!! Dark Green, Light Green, but still Green. Get used to it fast.

DevilPup2004
12-07-02, 02:58 PM
Marines: Thank you for your advice.

Cpl Barndog:

Something else bothers me - you are NOT BETTER than an enlisted Marine, just because you may wear bars or Officer insignia (quote): "I will like to know more of their perspective" (end quote)

Sorry for the confusion. I never meant for any of my words to come across as me thinking I'm the sh!t. I'm not even a shower shoe yet... can't sign the papers until 2004. What I meant was that, if I have what it takes to become an officer of Marines, I will want to have had experiences that will let me be able to put myself in the shoes of my Marines better. I will want experience that will help me to take better care of my Marines. Another aspect of that is that I know that in order to be a successful leader, I must know how to follow. Where better to learn how to follow, so I can eventually lead, than by being a Pvt in your Corps?

SHOOTER1
12-07-02, 05:13 PM
Well said Cadet Briski, and remember , on this site the growls are worse than the bite, keep seeking information, the only dumb question, is the one you dont ask, your doing your homework, that shows commitment, keep going, youll do ok.