PDA

View Full Version : Officer Candidate School?

VTStudent
12-06-02, 07:10 PM
Hi, I am a junior at Virginia Tech, and will be talking with my OSO on Tuesday. Could you guys give me any information/advice on being selected for OCS, OCS itself, and the aviation program (wanted Ground but they don't have any contracts for that until '06). I am really excited about possibly joining you, and my grandfather, as a Marine.

USMC0311
12-06-02, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by VTStudent
Hi, I am a junior at Virginia Tech, and will be talking with my OSO on Tuesday. Could you guys give me any information/advice on being selected for OCS, OCS itself, and the aviation program (wanted Ground but they don't have any contracts for that until '06). I am really excited about possibly joining you, and my grandfather, as a Marine.

This is most Likely where you will do your Training:
http://www.quantico.usmc.mil/phone.htm
You should be able to get a heads-up here.

wrbones
12-06-02, 08:30 PM
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

wrbones
12-06-02, 08:54 PM
what to expect

http://www.6mcd.usmc.mil/ftl_site/officer_hanbook/what_expect.htm

wrbones
12-06-02, 09:01 PM
http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/milarticles/blmarineocs.htm

Google: USMC OCS training schedule.
USMC OCS

USMC0311
12-06-02, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by wrbones
what to expect

http://www.6mcd.usmc.mil/ftl_site/officer_hanbook/what_expect.htm

It was a piece of cake for them college boys when I was there, (Logistic/Supply NCO) in 67-68. They probably serve Coco and Cookies and tuck'em in at rack time now.

One thing is certain, Officers will be expected to Lead The Finest Fighting Force on Earth. That is one BIG responsibility.

wrbones
12-06-02, 09:10 PM
Cocoa and cookies! LMAO.

Joe, I think the FNG's today are better trained than we were, if that's possible!

Everything I've read about the enlisted training today would seem to mean that today's Marines are he finest fighting force that's ever existed....and that's saying a lot folks.

If they get the leadership they deserve and the politicos stay outta the way.....

22DevilPup87
12-06-02, 09:37 PM
Virginia Tech is one of the colleges I'd love to go to because of their Corps of Cadets and NROTC Marine Option.

How have your two and a half years been there?

VTStudent
12-07-02, 07:30 AM
Great, I love it. However, I'm not in the Corps because when I was a freshman, the military just wasn't something I was thinking about. It wasn't until I got addicted to lifting weights, and had all that excess testosterone floating around that I really started giving the Marines (any other branch and my grandfather kills me) a lot of thought. And, for the other responses, I know that leading Marines is a huge responsiblity, and that is why at no time during my message do I say that it is a foregone conclusion that I will be successful. I mean, I've busted my butt to get where I am, and I am training as hard as I possibly can to get ready to go to OCS, but I don't know if I'll make it until I go. I'm the only college student crazy enough to get up at 8:30 on a Saturday morning so I can get to the gym before the weekend warriors. That's got to be worth something....

USMC0311
12-07-02, 08:05 AM
Cocoa and cookies! LMAO.

Joe, I think the FNG's today are better trained than we were, if that's possible!

Everything I've read about the enlisted training today would seem to mean that today's Marines are he finest fighting force that's ever existed....and that's saying a lot folks.

If they get the leadership they deserve and the politicos stay outta the way.....

Better equipped does entertain the thought of better trained Bones. I see that the New Corps Marines are involved in more diversified training than the past. Thats a gimme and natural for the Corps that is Always Ready to defend America in any situation.

My point is, Without discipline and I mean discipline that is instilled in a man, that has him preform his duty without question and without hesitation. A man is not as likely to do wtf he is told if he dos not have "Dicipline"

again this is only my opinion, and by no way does it reflect the ideology or sentiments of this forum or The Marine Corps in general

22DevilPup87
12-07-02, 08:45 AM
I know that VT is a big school. Do you like the layout of the campus? What's the faculty like in your opinion? Did you come from a big city or a small neighborhood, and did you find it difficult to find your niche?

I'll probably be visiting the campus sometime next year but I want to find out as much about it from the perspective of a student as I possibly can. I doubt I'll have a tough time finding my niche if I make it in the Corps of Cadets and ROTC but I'm still fiddling with the idea of enlisting, earning my degree one way or another while active, and then going officer. I know I want to become a Marine but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm lucky for now, I have the luxury of time.

Do you have any doubts that you may have trouble leading enlisted Marines when you've never been one of them? Upon thinking that over I looked at other instances in life where I've taken on a leadership position without ever being one of the people I was leading. It's always worked out okay.

VTStudent
12-07-02, 08:57 AM
Well the gym opens in a couple mins. so I'm going to have to make it brief this time, but I'll expound later in the day (after the Miami game, of course). In terms of the campus, its really beautiful, and in terms of layout, you kinda have to decide that for yourself, but I like it. The faculty are nice, but you don't have much time to talk with them because there are so many students. I came from Hampton, VA, which is basically a medium sized city, and finding your niche is only as hard as you make it. If you want to fit in, you will have no problems. Now, the hardest part of your question is whether I can leading Marines without ever being enlisted. Basically, it would be quite presumptious to say that I could without ever being in that situation. However, I've never failed at anything in my life because whenever I do something, I do it to the utmost of my abilities, and with a passion that almost makes it difficult to fail. Basically, if others can do it, I can too. I just have to work my @$$ off, maybe work harder than a lot of other people, and if I do that, I'll at least be able to look myself in the mirror each morning...

22DevilPup87
12-07-02, 09:27 AM
You make a good point; anything can achieved with enough motivation, dedication, and spirit.

I once was told by an enlisted Marine that officers that weren't enlisted first were typically the dumbest people on Earth because they didn't know how to do anything. In her words, "They're there to lead, not to work." She then proceeded to advice me I should be enlisted before I'm an officer.

Another enlisted Marine gave me opposite advice. She said, "As enlisted you're treated like sh!t. I have friends that have been in the Corps for 5 years that take orders from an officer that just got out of TBS." She then proceeded to advice me that a career in the Corps was a fabulous one to have but the only way to go is as an officer.

I'm not questioning your ability to lead Marines; you seem to have the drive.

Back to my original point ... tell me more about VT.

RoboRobinson17
12-07-02, 09:38 AM
22DevilPup87- My name is Joe and I am a Freshman at Penn State. I enlisted in my Senior year of High School, and leave for Boot on May 26 03. My goal is to ultimately be an officer, while getting an education. The Marines will pay for up to 75% of the cost for school, and then you get pay for drill on the weekends. I chose to go Reserve at this time, because I wanted to be a Marine, but needed to further my education for law school. You can go Rotc, Platoon Leadership Course (PLC AIR/PLC LAW), or OCS. I will provide links soon. As for the ribbing that I am about to get for only enlisting Reserve right now- I heard they just activated 10,000 Reservists, so I say God Bless, and return home safe.

22DevilPup87
12-07-02, 11:08 AM
Reserves is a great way to go. I wish you the best of luck.

I'm seriously considering the reserves to get my enlisted experience while working on my degree and becoming and officer. Originally I had crossed it off because of the very real possibility of being activitated and called upon to do the job I said I'd do: drop my life and defend my country.

In the beginning I wanted to go active enlisted and work on my degree while active. Then I did some more research and saw that to earn my BA/BS it would probably take me 6 - 8 years while active duty. At that time I thought about the reserves but quickly outruled it because of the reason I previously stated. After that I decided that going to Virginia Tech, joining the Corps of Cadets and getting into NROTC Marine Option would be the best thing for me. Now I'm questioning everything. I know I want to get my education and go which ever route will allow me to best learn the skills needed to lead the finest fighting force in the world. I'm trying to figure out what route that is.

wrbones
12-07-02, 11:57 AM
Joe, I agree with you. More and better traing and toys are good. The Marine Corps has led the way in many new tactics and strategy throughout it's history.

As you say. Without the discipline needed....it's all moot! It don't make a damn.

Looks like we got some kids who are at least trying to think things through. Good luck. Hope it all turns out the way ya want it to!

USMC0311
12-07-02, 12:10 PM
Joe, I agree with you. More and better traing and toys are good. The Marine Corps has led the way in many new tactics and strategy throughout it's history.

As you say. Without the discipline needed....it's all moot! It don't make a damn.

Looks like we got some kids who are at least trying to think things through. Good luck. Hope it all turns out the way ya want it to!

It's bout time ya got yer ass outa the rack, Bones. nuthin turns out the way I want it Warren, I work on it. It gives me something to do.

Hows ya been Marine..

wrbones
12-07-02, 12:15 PM
I been good bro! Cut me some slack! I'm werkin on a hangover! LOL.

Hell, all ya can do is work on it! LOL>

USMC0311
12-07-02, 12:55 PM
I been good bro! Cut me some slack! I'm werkin on a hangover! LOL.

Hell, all ya can do is work on it! LOL>

good on ya Bones. Get Sum Marine

RoboRobinson17
12-07-02, 06:59 PM
22DevilPup87

I understand what you mean. If I get activated, I lose all of my tuition. Doesn't seem right, but that's life. To me, that is a chance that I am willing to take. There would be no greater honor for me than to defend our greatest National Resource: freedom. I am aware that the Marine Corps Reserve will let you out of your Reserve Contract to enter into one with ROTC, so it is definitely something to think about. Just keep an open mind. In my RSS, the only thing I had to choose from was Motorcade or Admin, and I didn't enlist in the Marines to sit behind a desk. Good Luck with your decision.

Joe

22DevilPup87
12-08-02, 09:50 AM
Now that I think about it a little more ... when a reservist is activated (to the best of my knowledge) he/she is only activated for 3 - 12 months, after which the reservist can return to a reserved state. So, that would mean that the most I'd be losing is a year. That's a small price to pay for the opportunity to have an enlisted experience before going officer.

I wonder if I can be a reservist and in the Corps of Cadets and ROTC. Umm, actually, I can't. During your freshman year as a Cadet you're only allowed one leave off of campus. So, now it's between the Corps of Cadets and being a reservist. Which provides better training? I'd certainly guess being a reservist as it's on the job training but it's something I'm going to have to look into.

There are simply so many options in becoming a Marine.