PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Training for the Marines

Jsphsl4204
04-02-06, 05:01 PM
I need some help on how to start a training program and where to begin.
But first, I must say I'm a 15 year-old male, and a freshman at Shaw High School. I plan on enlisting via the DEP, and becoming a poolee until high school graduation.
My father was in the Army as an airborne infantryman during the Vietnam Conflict, and since I was young (I estimate since about the age of five) I have wanted to be in the military (not the navy, coast guard, air force, etc., but rather the Army or Marine Corps).
I've heard it's 90% mental, 10% physical, however, I would appreciate help with both aspects. I am an excellent distance runner; while I don't run track or cross-country, I do run a mile in under six minutes (around 5:40, usually), and have a solid running program already. I feel I'm in excellent shape for running, but if anyone has any ideas to compliment my training, I'm in open arms.
I do need help with complete upper-body conditioning, as well as mental preaparation (not JUST for boot camp, I plan on enlisting in the infantry) for the tasks and drills that lie ahead of me. I also need to bulk up. At 5'7", 120 lbs., I think I might need to get bigger (which I know will come with age, but I'm talking about gaining muscle mass) for a life in the Corps.
I would appreciate any and all comments, ideas, and suggestions as they come. Thanks!

jinelson
04-03-06, 02:30 AM
Joseph first I would like to compliment you on your profile nice job. However I seem to remember seeing another profile photo with a different sn of someone that looks remarkably similar to you on this site. I checked your Home Page a MySpace that you listed in your profile and listened to the words of your music and read your blog and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that you do not have a chance at becoming a Marine or member of any other branch of service if what you say is correct. You seem to be a very patriotic young man and highly motivated and you are welcome to stay aboard here as a Marine Friend. If I am wrong on anything that I have said please let me know.

Jsphsl4204
04-03-06, 09:36 AM
What do you mean I don't have a chance? Are you implying I'm not big enough, tough enough, etc. etc.? And as of right now, I'm unaware of anybody who looks like me and has those same pictures as me, I got THAT specific picture at a party nearly one year ago. I'm a little confused, but thanks for the compliment nonetheless.

jinelson
04-03-06, 10:43 AM
All the medical problems that you refer to in your blog.

Jsphsl4204
04-03-06, 04:01 PM
Well, my heart's fixed, my ear's fixed (and regaining normal hearing) and I have double-knee surgery to fix my osgood-schlatters disease this summer. Even with all those corrected, I still don't have a chance to get in?

hrscowboy
04-04-06, 02:37 AM
Nope Sorry..

Jsphsl4204
04-04-06, 11:40 AM
Well, I appreciate everyone's honest answers, via the forum, private messaging, etc.. I will look into to further methods of service besides the U.S. Military. Thanks for everyone's input.
However, it has come to my attention that somebody thought I was having an attitude with SSG Nelson. While I don't know what statement could have been the cause of this idea, I must say that there is no way I would disrespect, SSG Nelson, a Marine, a veteran, a military servicemen, or a military servicemen's family member. Sorry if it seemed that way, but I was just trying to venture further into the problem, to see if there was any healthy way around rejection from the Marines, and why. These posts didn't show my calm, decent thought processes, nor my approachful manner. I am not angry, nor do I feel anyone should be angry at me. Thanks.