PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak MOS question

111martinsen
03-29-06, 05:15 AM
So I leave for Boot Camp May 8th and picked my MOS as Amtraks hoping to get into Amphibious Tanks. I was wondering what you do when you are done with school and on duty at the base when you are still in the states. Also I was wondering if there was any Marines out there that have done this same job and I would like to here how you liked it. Thanks

Bige1371
03-29-06, 09:32 PM
:tank: Well I wasn't an aav guy. But i was attached to a track platoon on two Meu's. From what I saw they basically fix any mechanical problems with the AAV's or they Drive them depending on which Mos they have. It seemed like they where always very busy keeping up on maintenance on the AAV's. Sorry man hopefully someone else will give you a better description.
Bige1371

Lorix
04-01-06, 05:23 PM
Those Marines are nasty! I just recently moved into newly remodeled barracks previously assigned to them... they were freaken pigs. They're not Marines, there filthy filthy pigs. Anyways, it would be cool to drive one of those things.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but if you haven't seen the barracks rooms we now have, you have no right to disagree. Times change.

111martinsen
04-01-06, 05:32 PM
haha. pretty nasty eh. hopefully i dont get stuck with a sh!t hole.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-05-06, 09:26 PM
Lorix, I have seen rooms in all conditions, I don't know what that has to do with anything. I think just about all Marines would be nasty if the command would let them... so I am thinking the CO and Sgt. Maj. must have dropped the ball on this one. Trackers have it bad enough, no need to pile on for something as easily fixed as a jacked up barracks.

111martinsen
04-06-06, 03:00 AM
Lorix, I have seen rooms in all conditions, I don't know what that has to do with anything. I think just about all Marines would be nasty if the command would let them... so I am thinking the CO and Sgt. Maj. must have dropped the ball on this one. Trackers have it bad enough, no need to pile on for something as easily fixed as a jacked up barracks.

So I am guessing that you have met or served with a few Amtrak guys?? What do you mean when you say that they have it bad enough? Im trying to figure out more about what I'm going to be doing but it doesn't seem like many people on here want to reply or just really don't know that much about Amtraks.
I also want to say that I think this is a really good site but just more people need to be recruited to it.

Lorix
04-06-06, 11:06 AM
Thats no excuse, I'm busy enough as it is, and my command just enforced field day everyday, and I don't mean general clean up, I mean chinese field day, everyday. It sucks, but if we can do it, general clean up for Tracks isn't asking much. Punching large holes in the wall and damaging light fixtures, all around disgusting everything... This ain't the air force, they should be better than that. Marine's are supposed to be higher standard, obviously they don't get the idea.

Bige1371
04-06-06, 12:58 PM
Lorix, I'm sorry to have to say this but you are about as BOOT as they come. You can't judge an entire Mos by the conditions of there old squadbay. Give it a couple more years or at least when you have been at more than one duty station to start passing judgement on other Marines. Your right it's not the Air Force so stop whining like you are an Airman/woman and grab a broom.

David Jameson
10-23-07, 08:45 AM
Those nasty Amtracers Blah ,Bllah Blah. We have to field day every night
at the 722 Mess kit repair Battlion Because of those pigs.What a boot.
Nice picture though. :thumbdown

smoking gunz
10-24-07, 10:39 PM
From what i recall from being in a tracked platoon and riding in those things a lot is this. They said for every hour driving its something like 2 or 3 hours of maintance. They were also constantly working and mainting them. They had one ride in the back with us usually the boot, the crew chief was on top, usually the ssgt. a driver and gunner were usually cpls. They were loud and the exhuast goes right in the back were i sat. The gunner was a mechanical turret with a mk-19 and a 240g. That would be the best job from my personal observation sorry but im not a tracker just spent a lot of time with them.

Sgt Johnson
05-29-09, 08:06 AM
I've been a tracker for 7 years and I wouldn't do anything else. I've had the honor of serving with various other MOS's as well as serving as a provisonal machine gunner for a short while in Iraq. On a normal day in the fleet your going to work out doors on your vechile that you are assigned to. You will be a member of that crew of three or four Marines to include a NCO. If you are in a work up (getting ready for deployment) you are going to be operating less and doing more tactics and infantry manuvers for two reasons first so we know the best way to support them and second because sometimes you get to be the guy one the ground. And as far as dirty rooms are concerned I lived in the barracks for 6 years and we had field day until 2 in the morning. I know some barracks have holes in the walls, my room had a hole in it but it was there when we got the barracks from the admin guys so I wouldn't make assuptions that tracks tashed to room until you know who all has lived in them, cause we all know everything in the Corps is as old as it comes.