PDA

View Full Version : MOS Question

Parker-0321
03-27-06, 09:33 AM
im in the DEP and i dont ship till i finish skool so i have time to make up my mind (Sorry SGT Escobedo! lmao). Right now im signed up for Recon, but im still looking at what all is available. i just wanted to hear from some MARINES basicly, whats a good MOS? im looking into Artillery, Infantry, Ordinace Disposal, Enlisted Flight Crew, Combat Engineers, Recon, Logistics, anything really lol. whats an MOS you really enjoy(ed)? as long as its not a desk job, or the same thing everyday im interested.

-parker

awb5711
03-27-06, 09:49 AM
You are already signed up for Recon???? No need to make up stuff around here. Be honest with us and we'll be happy to help you out. Don't start it out with a lie though. Telling us all you are recon is not going to impress any Marine here.

Parker-0321
03-27-06, 09:56 AM
im not lieing and im not trying to impress anyone, i have a friend that signed up for it in the reserves, he's going to be in communications i think, he was telling me about it so i asked my recruiter and he said there was still 2 places open if i SERIOUSLY wanted it, so i said ok.

HopefulGrunt2Be
03-27-06, 10:03 AM
i will vouch for Parker on this one.... i understand it did not used to be this way, but recon is now an option for anyone to try out for. It is no longer a selection process. although i dont plan on it, I can choose recon if i want to (i am 03xx, infantry option). So i would say parker is be honest. and if you're not being honest parker... then shame on you.

DobbinsBlythe
03-27-06, 10:09 AM
My fiancee (now a RCT) signed up for Intel in the DEP program. That's only coz of his ASVAB though. It's possible. He had to wait b/c there was only one slot left from the Huntsville office for the next three years.. or something like that. Now he's got orders to be an ELINT operator and will be going to school in Pensacola! :D

-Maria

Parker-0321
03-27-06, 11:31 AM
anyone reccomend an MOS?

outlaw3179
03-27-06, 12:46 PM
I bet you all that means is they let you try out for recon during SOI....(p.s. so can every other grunt) ...then if you fail you go right back to being a regular rifleman.

jgorosco
03-27-06, 12:50 PM
I just don't see Recon being an MOS you can select. That sounds upsurd to me. Recon has a try-out so to speak to let the best in, not just some pvt. sniffle-lip off the streets join their ranks. As they say Proof is in the puddin'

Parker-0321
03-27-06, 01:05 PM
g thanks for the encouragment man. did ya think that maybe im signed up to TRY OUT? im looking at everything and id like to hear from ppl that arnt just going to trash me. so no more pm's about how im not gonna make it. i posted this to hear from ppl about their MOS.

jgorosco
03-27-06, 01:12 PM
Did anyone say that you weren't going to make it? If so show me. And if you can't take criticism now or if you want to be coddled you might want to try another site. I am glad to see and hear you are interested in Joining the Corps, but if you want to know about a good MOS, you will hear about everyone's MOS being the best. Like mine Aviation Ordnance 6541, is tight,crazy group of Marines. Like my signature says IYAOYAS. Another thing it is not a good thing to be given orders just yet.

outlaw3179
03-27-06, 02:17 PM
lol..nobody said you werent going to make it dude...quit your sniffling. All we said its not guaranteed that your going into the recon MOS. Every Marine can try out for recon as long as their pft is good to go. PS...im an 0331 ...****** awesome MOS..its machine gunner. we get to shoot alot of rounds at alot of things. We accomplish peace through superior firepower.

dingman
03-27-06, 03:23 PM
As any Marine can tell you, you can sign up any MOS you qualifie for but there is a the called FOR THE GOOD OF THE CORPS

Tallboot
03-27-06, 03:33 PM
No disrespect, but yes you can select Recon .. In my poolee functions, we have a guy he has a build like a football player .. he is signed up for recon

dingman
03-27-06, 03:38 PM
Son you better read these notes and get the bliders off soon. If not you be in for a rude awakeing in training.

HopefulGrunt2Be
03-27-06, 03:48 PM
Parker, i wouldnt be telling MARINES what they can and cannot say on this form. They have been there done that and earned the right to speak to you however they want. also, they know more than you could ever possibly know right now. they arent "trashing you" and even if they were...too bad, take it. they are only helping you.

Lithium
03-27-06, 03:59 PM
hey...I know many of you guys are Marines, and in no way do I want to disrespect any of you, but Parker asked a simple question, what MOS do you guys recommend? I know everyone will say that theirs is best....because in actuallity, each and everyone of yours is the best...but he asked a question and after aproximately half a dozen posts and it breaks into a discussion having nothing to do with his question, I would be a little upset too. Plus the first post after his initial post already put him on the defensive, and thats not fair. So please back off a little. I would like to hear the answer to his question. So lets hear about some of those MoS's you guys are involved in.

DobbinsBlythe
03-27-06, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, let's not argue. If someone has a completely misconstrued notion, and will not listen they will find out in boot, or after. Let's just be nice. Until you're broken, yelling/argumenative behavior... just for reference. Thanks!

GriT
03-27-06, 04:58 PM
No disrespect, but yes you can select Recon .. In my poolee functions, we have a guy he has a build like a football player .. he is signed up for recon

Yep. Looked it up -

Initial training consists of MARINE Recruit Training, and the School of Infantry which is the standard training where EVERY MARINE learns to be a rifleman. Recently, changes in recruiting have enabled young recruits with little experience to attend the RECON Indoctrination Program (RIP). Students with the MOS 0321 RECON MARINE are then assigned to the Basic Recon Course (BRC). The new MARINE will be placed in BRC with MARINES with several years experience as well. But upon successful completion of the BRC, all MARINES report to their assigned recon unit & receive various professional, technical and tactical training. Ask your recruiter about the RECON MOS Option if interested in becoming a RECON MARINE.

jgorosco
03-28-06, 07:10 AM
Reconnaissance Man - MOS 0321,
The reconnaissance man is responsible for providing the amphibious, long range, small unit, ground reconnaissance and raid skills to support the MAGTF. He is the nucleus of a reconnaissance team in the reconnaissance battalion or the reconnaissance or assault team in the force reconnaissance company.

In addition to basic infantry skills, he is responsible for highly refined scouting and patrolling skills. Also, he must possess advanced proficiency in scout swimming, small boat operations, close combat skills, helicopter and submarine insertion/extraction techniques, assault climbing, demolitions, forward observer procedures for supporting arms, initial terminal guidance operations for heliborne assaults, airborne insertion operations, and various waterborne operations, communications, photography, threat weapons and equipment recognition, and various types of point, area, and related necessary overlap of amphibious reconnaissance operations.

Marines assigned to assault teams possess advanced skills in assault weaponry, breaching demolitions, and close quarter battle skills and raid techniques. Selected reconnaissance men are further trained asstatic line and freefall parachutists and combatant divers.

Noncommissioned officers are assigned as reconnaissance and assault team leaders or their assistants and may be qualified as static line and free fall jumpmasters, dive supervisors, helicopter insertion/extraction masters (HRST), and tandem offset resupply delivery system (TORDS) operators.

Eligibility Requirementsand Prerequisites
To be eligible for Marine Force Recon candidates must:

Possess a GT score of 105 or higher.
Possess a 1st class swimmer qualification. 3108 MOS MANUAL 3-32
Obtain a first class score on the PFT.
Have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery candidate consult. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test.
Note: These standards are coordinated with BUMED for interservice school attendance requirements, as required. Changes may occur in between MOS Manual updates as required by interservice advocate agreements and will be outlined in the P117 Medical Manual of the Navy and Army, AR 40-501.
Complete Marine Rifleman Course, or appropriate MOJT.
Assigned as a primary MOS to Cpl and below 03XX Marines by CMC (MM) and Reconnaissance OccFld Manager (PP&O Code POE), and approved lateral-move Marines from any other MOS, who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC). Volunteers from any MOS may be certified for AMOS only by Recon unit commanders after attending the BRC or through MOJT at a BRC endorsed reconnaissance-training program to include a continuous 6-month assignment in a 0321 billet.
Be a U.S. citizen.
Be eligible for a secret security clearance.

Marine84
03-28-06, 11:57 AM
It's good that you want to go Recon but, make sure it's in black and white and make sure you KNOW the codes that are on your contracts. With all due respect, some recruiters will say anything to get you to sign that contract so that they can make their quota. I don't blame them - their job is hard - but, some of them will tell you anything. A lot of poolees THINK they know what they're getting into and they don't understand that somebody would lie to them just to get their signature. These Marines have been there, done that and they DO know how things can go. If YOU lie to get in the Corps, it's a breach of contract to get out - if a recruiter lies to you, you'll get laughed at for believing everything you hear.

One thing that makes the hair on my neck stand up is for civilians to come in here and tell US (the ones that have earned the title) to "be nice" to the poolees - they're coming to ask questions of US and we ARE being nice because some poolees WILL lie about what they THINK they're getting into. That might impress Billy Bob that lives next door to them on the block but............

And we already have a Marine, by GOD, to moderate this thing (which I'll probably get called on the carpet for this but it ain't the first time and it damned sure won't be the last) so start your own "nice place" and paint the sky whatever color you want. Until then, SHUT THE HELL UP!

jgorosco
03-28-06, 12:09 PM
I think I just fell in Love all over again!!!Marine84 marry me!?! Had to almost bite my tongue to be able to stay on this site. Some of this children just don't get it.

outlaw3179
03-28-06, 01:33 PM
:)

Marine84
03-28-06, 04:02 PM
I like heart shaped diamonds J - but, I don't know if I'm up for that "M" word - I'm still just "rentin' 'em". Anyway, whomever the lucky fella will be will have to move to Atlanta. Have you ever been here?

rktect3j
03-28-06, 04:35 PM
g thanks for the encouragment man. did ya think that maybe im signed up to TRY OUT? im looking at everything and id like to hear from ppl that arnt just going to trash me. so no more pm's about how im not gonna make it. i posted this to hear from ppl about their MOS.
I was in a recon unit. Not forced recon. 1st light armored recon. I had a great time but that was not my MOS. 0352 Tow Missile Gunner. That was great too. If you do not want a desk job then stick to the infantry positions. Having said that, you should pick an actual mos that will be concretized unless you don't care where they stick you. Like I said 0352 was fun. My time with LAV crewmen was even more fun. We spent at least 50% of our time in the field during my 4 years. Nothing better then training. Except training on an LAV as a scout. Check into 0313 lav crewman. You can do a lot of different jobs, infantry wise, if you can get that mos. LAV's do mortar, 25 mm chain gun, TOW missile etc. Not a desk job. But be sure about it. When you go to war you will be in front of the front lines.

rktect3j
03-28-06, 04:48 PM
I was in a recon unit. Not forced recon. 1st light armored recon. I had a great time but that was not my MOS. 0352 Tow Missile Gunner. That was great too. If you do not want a desk job then stick to the infantry positions. Having said that, you should pick an actual mos that will be concretized unless you don't care where they stick you. Like I said 0352 was fun. My time with LAV crewmen was even more fun. We spent at least 50% of our time in the field during my 4 years. Nothing better then training. Except training on an LAV as a scout. Check into 0313 lav crewman. You can do a lot of different jobs, infantry wise, if you can get that mos. LAV's do mortar, 25 mm chain gun, TOW missile etc. Not a desk job. But be sure about it. When you go to war you will be in front of the front lines.
Man, that looks so bad up there. It is "Force recon" not "Forced recon". I'm a bit embarrased. Sorry bout that.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-28-06, 06:32 PM
Back to the OP. Parker, any MOS is a great one as long as it is a Marine MOS. It depends on what you want to do with your life, we can't make that decision for you. As for the disrespect you showed here... nobody said you wouldn't make it. But, I will say I hope you don't make it, at least not until you correct your attitude. We don't need to add another one to the 10 percent.

jryanjack
03-28-06, 06:48 PM
First off - what my fellow Marines have posted here is correct - but let me add a point - NO MOS is guaranteed - you have to meet all of the requirements first, and the first one is that you have to be a Marine! This ain't Wal-mart, we do not take everyone. Next you have to pass the school, guess, what, fail the school and you are doing something else. So while your enlistment contract may say that you are going recon, it does not mean that no matter what that's what you are going to do. Focus on the mission at hand, becoming a Marine, worry about the MOS later.

Zippo
03-28-06, 07:49 PM
all due respect to the people who missed when he said

so no more pm's about how im not gonna make it.

PM being the key word there. PERSONAL MESSAGE!!
indeed no one ever POSTED that he wont make it.

mlecorgne
03-29-06, 01:51 AM
dude all you are signed up for is the possibility to possibly take the recon indoc. listen hard charger to be, as long as you are 03, you are good to go. i was 0331 and loved it. it's a lot of...

Parker-0321
03-29-06, 12:15 PM
if im 03-anything ill be happy. just gimmie a weapon and point me in the right direction :banana:

oh and i wasnt trying to be disrespectful to anyone on here i was just a little annoyed from some stupid PM's, some were from non-marines, so if you feel i was disrespectful i appologize, my bad, sorry, wont happen again. anyway, thanks for the input keep it comin!

Marine84
03-29-06, 01:18 PM
Zippo - who the F__K are YOU? Another thing you don't do as a poolee is come in here and correct somebody.

TazMatt
03-29-06, 02:13 PM
Parker my mos was supply warehouse 3051 ,it was fun because most of the time I really didn't work in it . As was said your primary mos may be one thing but you actually do whatever is needed at the time.:usmc: :usmc:

outlaw3179
03-29-06, 02:36 PM
LOL...Marine84 ..you could have been a rifleman in my fireteam any day of the week ma'm!

Marine84
03-29-06, 03:01 PM
I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn Outlaw - boobs got in the way. I had a WO ceasefire on the rifle range one day because he was thought he was going to make an example out of me about how to hold that M16 when standing. I stood there and looked at him while he was yelling at me about "who taught you how to hold that weapon like that Marine?" - he took it out of my hands and proceeded to show me how I was supposed to hold it. When he got done (and while he was still holding my weapon) I reached up and grabbed one of my own boobs and told him "with all due respect sir THESE right here keep me from holding that weapon the way I was taught" and it's true! Those of us with big boobs CANNOT put our elbows in our guts to hold that thing that way - it just don't work. The few guys that were close to me spit all over everything trying to keep that WO from hearing them laugh at him - the WO just shook his head and muttered something about "goddam__d women" in his Marine Corps.

But thanks for the compliment............

jgorosco
03-29-06, 03:08 PM
See Marine84 now I need to go where ever you are, cause you are one crazy Ordie. Just like this other female Ordie that worked with me beautiful and a Sh*t Talker.

Marine84
03-29-06, 03:10 PM
yeah I can pretty much talk it like I walk it and thank you for saying I'm beautiful. Many kisses to you..............

harleydavid2000
04-19-06, 11:58 AM
select recon ? well i was with 3rd recon in oki...ona point... 1981 and 1983 and my mos stayed the same ...ive never heard of a recon mos....am i THAT old ?...damn

Kentuckymule
04-19-06, 05:50 PM
Id realy like to know were the hell the school for armorers is. even my recruitier cant seem to find it. somebody help me

GriT
04-19-06, 06:01 PM
Id realy like to know were the hell the school for armorers is. even my recruitier cant seem to find it. somebody help me

I believe Armor trains at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

EDIT: Nevermind. It's the Army that trains at Fort Knox. Although, Marines may train there too. I'll try to find out some more info on this.

Spartan1
04-21-06, 11:50 PM
You sure about Fort Knox? I thought Armorers trained at Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri.

mpwildes
04-22-06, 12:59 AM
Found this on a recon website.

I'm thinking about joining the Marine Corps. How do I become a Recon Marine?
The recruiting path for prospective Recon Marines is undergoing changes right now. By 1 Oct 98 there will be a Recon enlistment option. Currently, recruits which are assigned intended MOS of 0300 are screened for GT score, swimming ability, physical qualification, etc. while in recruit training. Further screening takes place while in the School of Infantry where, upon graduation, students are assigned to the Basic Recon Course at either Little Creek, VA or Coronado, CA. Successful completion of the BRC confers the Recon (0321) MOS.

So in basic terms you are a going to be a basic grunt and go to SOI. If they feel in at least SOI you can make the cut for Recon, they will let you "TRY OUT". But keep in mind no Instructor or supervisor has to let you "TRY OUT". It only has to be a matter of opinion on their part that says you aren't good enough and you wont go. Hey if you make then good to go.

But if I were you I would take the MOS out of your profile name. It's dissrespectful to put something you are not. Like a person calling themselves a Marine when they really aren't. Don't trash those select few who have earned that MOS by placing it in your name. Just plain un professional. Something Marines and Future Marines alike should never be.

mpwildes
04-22-06, 01:02 AM
aberdeen proving grounds, Maryland is where armorer (2111) school is