PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Marine Combat Engineers.

Bayouwarrior
03-24-06, 05:53 PM
Ok

First post, ok
First of all, I am considering joining the Marine Corps, I have not yet made a decision though. I am already a veteran however, and am considering re-enlisting into another branch of service. I spent my first 4 years in the USAF Security Forces, and honestly, it was rather a miserable experience.
But I am thinking its time to try again, for a variety of reasons.

I have talked to a recruiter already, but for some reason, its a bit difficult to get alot of information about the different MOS's in the USMC. So I decided to register and ask around.

So, for anyone that was a combat engineer, or currently is. What can you tell me about the MOS. I appreciate it and thanks in advance.

Bayouwarrior

crimsred
03-24-06, 07:04 PM
O.K., heres the deal. I served as an 1371 from 88-92 . There are three groups as an 71 you can be attached to. Part one is the division side. Where your job is to support the 03's up close and personal. The tools of the trade are landmines, demo, and your weapon. Expect to spend a lot of time in the field, get dirty and lots of pt.

Part two is the F.S.S.G. or Field Service Support Group. These Marines do a little bit of everything. For building bridges to working in a carpentry shop.

Part three is the Marine Air Wing. I was never attached to this group, so I cannot say for certain, but i do know that they spend a lot of time in the carpenters shop.

Basicaly, in Engineer school Camp Lejune, Courthouse Bay you are taught how to build a bridge, blow **** up, and swing a hammer. Depends to what unit you are sent as to the job you do.

Marine Combat Enginners are called jack of all trades, masters of none.
good luck,
crimsred

Bayouwarrior
03-26-06, 09:03 PM
Thank you so much Crimsred,
I learned more from you already, than I have from the recruiter.

A few more questions for you guys.
1) how long is the MOS school for combat engineers?
2) do you have any say which of the 3 groups you get assigned to or is it completely based on the needs of the corps?
3) did you guys enjoy your time with the engineers? or not? and why or why not?

I thank you all in advance.

Bayouwarrior

crimsred
03-27-06, 06:02 PM
It's been a long time.., I think the school was 8 or 9 weeks. As far as the duty station is concerned, that has to do with the contract you sign. The guys who had longer enlistments got three years state side, the others who didn't like me got sent to the rock for a year. As far as the groups go, I think where ever there is a need that is where you will go. Myself I loved the division side of life. Lots of tranning, deployments, and shooting. The other two send a lot of time in garrison. I got to do a lot of cool things while i was in, saw the world, met a lot of exoctic women, and drank a lot of liquior. I would't trade my time in or my mos for anything. Those were the greatest friends and fighters i have had the opportunity to meet. As i'm sure you will find out there is no better friend than a Marine.

-------------------- crimsred

p.s. any thing else I can help with, don't hesitate to ask

Bayouwarrior
03-27-06, 06:22 PM
Thanks again, you see to be the only one interested in responding to my questions :p .

The reasons I am asking questions about deployments and duty stations is because I am already married, and while I am seriously considering re-joining the military, I am still a bit worried about the family life.

I understand that we are at war, and on top of that, the Corps will put me where it needs me for TDY's and deployments. But I am trying to get some idea of what to expect, both for myself, and for my family.

I keep trying to get information from the recruiter, but for whatever reason, he seems disinclined to answer my questions, perhaps because I already said that July would be the earliest I would be joining due to family commitments or for some other reason. Its rather frustrating to be honest.

Also, remember, I am already a veteran, while I doubt i travelled as much as some Marines do, I have been halfway around the world and back, twice, and neither drinking nor exotic women are much of a priority these days :bunny:

Osotogary
03-28-06, 10:13 AM
Bayouwarrior-
I ran across this website. There is a lot of cross referenceing.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1995/KDE.htm

marine1157
07-27-10, 07:54 PM
ok

Lisa 23
07-27-10, 09:14 PM
Marine1157, you do realize that this thread is over 4 years old, don't you?

Sgt Leprechaun
07-28-10, 11:51 PM
Apparently not. No doubt, though, he found it using the search feature. Can't complain there.

Locked.