PDA

View Full Version : need somethin cleared up?

fender
03-21-06, 09:44 PM
Im hearing that the flight to bootcamp is free but you have to get your self home. that the corps. does not actually fly you back home. is this true? if so I need to start saving for a plane ticket i guess.

Phantom Blooper
03-21-06, 09:50 PM
Prior to your graduation you will be afforded the opportunity to purchase tickets to your home of record if you get leave from boot camp and no one is there for your graduation to take you home. And yes you are responsible for your ticket or the way you get to your 1st command. Tickets can be purchased at boot camp. Your drill instructor will herd you down there.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall :evilgrin:

jryanjack
03-22-06, 07:24 AM
Phamtom is correct. If I recall correctly you go to SATO (the travel office) and purchase your tickets sometime late in 3rd Phase - the cost of the tickets are deducted from your pay automatically. I believe however that you are only actually paying for the portion of your travel that is used to get you home on leave. There is some calculation that they do to come up with that. The Corps also pays for your return to your home of record upon EAS.

yellowwing
03-22-06, 08:38 AM
If I recall correctly you go to SATO (the travel office) and purchase your tickets sometime late in 3rd Phase
I remember that! On Parris Island 1983 there was a little old man (civilian) explaining travel to us. He must have been there forever, because our Drill Instructor had traded with him when he was a newly minted Marine.

It was funny as hell. Our Drill Instructor was standing behind him smirking and imitating this jolly little character. This old gaffer had a bald spotted head and wore huge trousers cinched up with a belt that had a least a foot and a half of slack on the end. Priceless! :banana:

PooleeNGN
03-22-06, 11:17 PM
i was wondering about that too, will we have enough money for the trip home and do we get discounts off?

CrazyBrave83
03-22-06, 11:32 PM
You'll definitely have enough for the trip home, it just will knock some off of your final total. I don't ever recall of hearing of a recruit who didn't make enough at Boot to get home...not to mention often times Family will cover the cost of the ticket.:thumbup:

jryanjack
03-23-06, 07:08 AM
Don't worry about the money - you'll have 3 months of pay due by that time! And with what Privates are making these days you'll be fine!

Maybe there's some Finance Marines that can chime in here - however my thought would be that if you did not have enough pay to cover the cost of your flight home they would still pay it, but then your future pays would be shorted to cover the difference. But as CrazyBrave says, I don't think that has ever happened.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-06, 12:54 PM
You will have plenty of money to make it home, have a great time while you're there, and make it back to MCT or SOI with no problems. You will go three months without getting paid, and other than basic expenses, all of that money is coming to you when you leave MCRD. Airfare isn't that expensive!

CHOPPER7199
03-25-06, 01:13 PM
Well The First Thing Is, To Get That E.g.a. Then Go From There. Deal With That And The Rest Is Easy.

Accord
03-27-06, 01:14 AM
If you're a BCG recruit, are the BCG's free or do they deduct them from your pay?