PDA

View Full Version : Every Marine a rifleman or....

JimmyK
03-21-06, 09:37 PM
Ok, we've all heard the saying "Every Marine is a rifleman", hell, if your in the DEP your recruiter probably throws it out every other sentence. I know all non-infantry Marines go to MCT to give them those rifleman skills but, my question is, once in the fleet, how many non-grunts actually get to use the stuff they learned at MCT? Say I hoped a plane over to Iraq today and was walkiing down mainstreet Baghdad(hypothetically, of course). Would it be common to see a buch of admin guys busting down doors and not taking names or do the non-infantry Marines just stay on base and do there MOS specific jobs? Thanks in advance for any replies.:banana:

Phantom Blooper
03-21-06, 09:41 PM
I know all non-infantry Maries

Just because you ain't infantry doesn't mean your a Marine! :banana:

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hal :evilgrin:

JimmyK
03-21-06, 09:53 PM
Just because you ain't infantry doesn't mean your a Marie! :banana:

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hal :evilgrin:

Whhops, I read that thing like 3 times before I posted it too. I would go fix it but it looks like its too late to edit it.

Phantom Blooper
03-21-06, 09:58 PM
Hypothetically how much stuff are you going to use in life that you are learning in school? And if you get a college degree and don't use the major to immediately go into a profession you are going to forget allot of that also over time. The courses that all Marines take in recruit training and the MOS schools are the basis for what may happen. Each sitrep will be different and that is where the saying "Adapt and Overcome" comes into play. Somethings you may use and some you won't. But your bearing and the endurance and your marksman skills will follow you throughout you career to name only a few. Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

outlaw3179
03-22-06, 07:22 AM
To answer your question not very often. Thats primarily what the grunts are there for. But the admin guys still have to go on convoys, and sometimes do personel searches or IED sweeps. Alot of times times youll end of on guard duty and that entails some of that training. So yes when they say "Every Marine a rifleman " its because at any point a infantry squad who was short on men could in theory grab a Marine from another job and have him fill the ranks .