PDA

View Full Version : To kick things off...

Lorix
03-16-06, 04:29 PM
I'll break ground. Here's some tips for all you poolees getting ready to ship to mcrd:

Do not mess around Drill Instructors
Do not get drunk the night before you ship
Do not wear your Marine poolee shirt when you ship
Do not use the words I, we, he, she, it, they, them, you, us, etc.
Do not forget the proper greeting of the day
Do not fight with other recruits
Do not get within arms length of a Drill Instructor
Do not fall asleep in class, during fire watch, or any other portion of the day
Do not correct a Drill Instructor
Do not turn around in class
Do not speak to a Drill Instructor while you are sitting
Do not forget to hold the hatch for a Drill Instructor or any other Marine
Do not let a Drill Instructor carry anything
Do not accept candy or any other treats from Marines or civilians
Do not cuss out a Drill Instructor, they have a way of finding out
Do not ever call a Drill Instructor a Drill Sergeant
Do not quit

Any Marines out there, feel free to add to my list, I know I forgot something...

Tegan
03-16-06, 05:23 PM
Do not ask " when do we get cookies?" to your SDI.
Do not dance, sing or whistle.. the DI's will find out.
Do not steal from the chowhall.
these are just a few that came out of my time on the Island :)

Lorix
03-17-06, 12:50 PM
Do not laugh
Do not cry
Do not break bearing (especially in front of the series commander... I did!)

Remember there's a Drill Instructor always watching....

Future-USMC-LT
03-27-06, 11:14 PM
"Do not jack off."

Unless your range PMI orders you to "unload and show clear" to get rid of some stress the night before qual.

Tallboot
03-29-06, 09:59 AM
When you do proper greeting of the day, do you wait until the Drill Instructor speak to you first .. or do you say it as soon as he/she comes up to you. unless the platoon is saying it in whole. In a video i saw he said the sentence and did the greeting at the end of the sentence

Marine84
03-29-06, 01:30 PM
YOU ALWAYS say it first!

Lorix
04-01-06, 05:18 PM
Say it whenever you see a Drill Instructor or Marine, or sailor, or civilian, etc. Yes, always say it first.

Cappucine
04-07-06, 05:13 PM
Don't be late to a Drill Instructors meeting.

jellyfish2183
04-07-06, 09:20 PM
You give the greeting whenever you come up to, walk/run pass, or get dismissed by the drill instructors, Marines, or sailors. It's kinda hard to fathom having to do all that. But believe me, you'll get so used to it that it'll become instinctive.

jinelson
04-08-06, 02:15 AM
jellyfish2183 I see that you have been promoted CONGRATULATIONS MARINE!

John Mayotte
04-12-06, 07:37 PM
I think you forgot to say: Don't bring contraband of any kind; i.e.; pocketknives,watches,gum, lighters/matches, etc.

LivinSoFree
04-20-06, 05:25 AM
Better yet, don't bring anything at all. I threw away my toothbrush the morning I shipped, walked into MEPS with my driver's license and the clothes on my back. That's all you need. Go to Target and get a cheap pair of khakis and a cheap shirt with a collar, with a belt. It's gonna sit in a warehouse in the middle of a South Carolina swamp for 13 weeks, so don't waste your good stuff. But going down wearing "proper civilian attire" is just one more little thing you can do to get an edge.

semperfiman
04-20-06, 05:41 AM
keep your hands out of your pockets

Zippo
04-20-06, 03:30 PM
what is the proper greeting of the day?

MillRatUSMC
04-21-06, 07:22 AM
When overtaking a Drill Instructor don't forget "By your leave, Sir/Ma'am."
Some recruits have paid dearly for not saying that on passing a Drill Instructor.

MillRatUSMC
04-21-06, 10:32 AM
Proper greeting of the day, noon or night...

"Good morning, afternoon, or night, followed by the rank of the Marine"
Generally it from a lower rank to higher rank,
But there been occasions, when an Officer might asked;
How are you doing Marine before you can render that officer a proper greeting.
I was reading a web page, where a Marine corporal asked, why can't we extend courtesy to one another as enlisted Marines.
His point being that we all went through boot camp, and we should acknowledge that fact, instead of just passing by.

Zippo
04-21-06, 12:29 PM
good to go. thx.

Poolee Sanders
04-22-06, 11:35 PM
I've heard that you only really need to take your SS card, and nothin' else. Is that true, or should I take my driver's license instead/also?

Lorix
04-22-06, 11:45 PM
Proper greeting of the day: "Good morning/afternoon/evening, sir/ma'am". That is very important in boot, don't say it at the proper time and most likely your a$$ will be on the QD paying for it.

Almost anything you bring will be thrown away or put into storage. Only take your SS card, and that's about it. You can take a bible or religious medalion, and a list of addresses who you would like to write in boot, nothing else.

I paid for what I wore to boot, I had on some sweat pants for mobility purposes, knew I would have to move fast so no heavy jeans, but the DI's didn't like it that I was a step ahead and I paid for it, also because it's not really suitable civi attire, and a small purse to hold my documents in, it was the smallest thing I could find, I paid for that too.

Windle
04-23-06, 10:23 AM
Start getting used to rolling with the punches; that's one of the things that separated the recruits that did really well from the recruits that had a really hard time.

Poolee Sanders
04-24-06, 01:14 PM
Ahhh, I see. Thanks.

jinelson
05-05-06, 04:38 AM
Poolee Sanders please read the link below it was started by a 100% real active Drill Instructor in the hopes of helping you and the Corps. He gives a list of ten things that you may bring then adds one more that he forgot. So anymore than the 11 items and most of you will not need that many because the matters were handled by MEP's prior are contraband and forbidden! Do you hear that, is it clear? There is currently misinformation being sent to all high school aged military prospects from another website and I will take that up with our administrator. Until you hear more from me on the subject the Drill Instructors list should be what you go by unless you like being the subject of very close attention at MCRD!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168

Jim

Wyoming
05-05-06, 08:53 AM
Poolee Sanders please read the link below it was started by a 100% real active Drill Instructor in the hopes of helping you and the Corps. He gives a list of ten things that you may bring then adds one more that he forgot. So anymore than the 11 items and most of you will not need that many because the matters were handled by MEP's prior are contraband and forbidden! Do you hear that, is it clear? There is currently misinformation being sent to all high school aged military prospects from another website and I will take that up with our administrator. Until you hear more from me on the subject the Drill Instructors list should be what you go by unless you like being the subject of very close attention at MCRD!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168

Jim

I was waiting for this to happen. Sheesh, it's unbelievable that folks even answer these posts. Good Job, Jim.

oh yeah, kin i bring a paperback and torch? i like to read a few minutes before falling asleep. sheeit!!!

Lorix
05-05-06, 05:22 PM
Good job Jim! :yes:

marinegirl
05-08-06, 05:10 PM
I think you forgot to say: Don't bring contraband of any kind; i.e.; pocketknives,watches,gum, lighters/matches, etc.

A friend that left for boot a while back brought a forgotten shotgun shell(live ammo) in his left coat pocket to the airport. He is a Marine now though.

Rdy2gopoolie
05-08-06, 05:11 PM
Sorry the post before was me not my fiance. She forgot to log out. Sorry.

maldridge1391
06-04-06, 07:02 AM
the best thing for you to do is keep out of mind and out of sight... in other words unless its for a good thing stay out of the spotlight, and be motivated sound off, and move fast... remember recruits are nasty you can never do anything right and you are always wrong... if you stay motivated then you will do fine

Stanley Hroszow
06-08-06, 12:56 PM
Do not do what the group did, we went by train from RI with a four hour lay- over in NY, City well to make a long story short when we got to boot camp all heck broke out because we got drunk on the way down. some got in trouble they herd about it and we caught it untill the fourth or fifth week and it was hell.

Camper51
06-08-06, 03:46 PM
The trick is show up and be invisible. ANYTHING that makes you stand out makes you a target. You want to look EXACTLY like the 79 other recruits. I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out. Follow the lead of what the Drill instructor says to bring in the link from JINELSON you were provided.

If you really think you are an exception to those VERY specific instructions then may God rest your soul because your Azz is the Drill Instructor's and he is gonna mow it!!!!

All I took with me in 1968 were the clothes on my back and a very small suitcase with which to ship it back home. My father still uses that same suitcase (with the mailing tag I had to fill out still in it) to this day for his rifle/pistol cleaning gear.

Tegan
06-23-06, 02:39 PM
yes, definitely lay low. DONT be the overweight recruit either, you will get put on your face more than anyone! Just do what you are told and in an efficient manner.

Camper51
06-23-06, 03:01 PM
Being overweight is not a problem. They have PCP or Physical Conditioning Platoon. If ya get to go there you get to do nothing but PT all day long and you get very restricted diets to boot. You'll love it!!! NOT!!!!!!!

The better your condition you are in, the better for you, and no matter how fit you are...you will find out you are not fit enough, believe me...

Stanley Hroszow
06-23-06, 06:58 PM
When I was a Boot my weight was 137Lbs, also had the nick name of tiger and always ended up behind the over weight men and ended up with their portions but had to growl first.

J-Ro
07-26-06, 07:08 PM
If I could Go back, I would shave my head prior to shipping off

jm4magic
08-03-06, 05:45 PM
[quote=Lorix]I'll break ground. Here's some tips for all you poolees getting ready to ship to mcrd:

Do not mess around Drill Instructors
Do not get drunk the night before you ship
Do not wear your Marine poolee shirt when you ship

I have a simple question nothing big, but you posted on the thread not to bring your poolee shirt. If you dont mind I want to the resaon behind it.

Camper51
08-03-06, 05:49 PM
simple answer,

The DRILL INSTRUCTORS will eat your lunch for wearing THEIR Eagle, Globe, and Anchor before you have earned them...

jm4magic
08-03-06, 06:02 PM
makes sense

WannabeDevildog
08-06-06, 12:10 AM
One of my dads friend went to boot around '83 or '84. The DI's made them strip to their skivvies so they could inspect for any tatoos. Some recruits already had the EGA tatooed on 'em! They paid DEARLY for that mistake.

marine_at18
08-06-06, 11:24 AM
Never call the eagle globe and anchor an EGA.... that would be a mistake

WannabeDevildog
08-07-06, 12:32 AM
My mistake, didn't mean ANY disrespect at all. From now on, I will ALWAYS write "eagle, globe and anchor" when that's what I'm referring to.

6yrforMar
08-17-06, 11:59 PM
Pay Attention to everything you are being taught.Never say the words "I Can`t".

Echo5November
08-18-06, 12:43 AM
1. Show up to bootcamp with a shirt that has a pink ega emblem.
2. Bring Condoms
3. Attempt to hug the drill instructor on the way out the bus.
4. Instead of standing on the yellow footprints, sit down.
6. Instead of shouting "Yes Sir!", say "Right On!!"
7. Complain about the sizes issued to you in supply at receiving.
8. Smuggle in a cell phone and make call to your girlfriend infront of all the DI's
9. the first time a drill instructor tells you to do something, say "Got it Sarge!!"
10. Sag your cammie and try and be stylish. The DI's like that.
11. Interupt the DI's and ask questions like "whats for breakfast in this joint?", and "so when do I get my own room?"
12. On humps, pack your alice pack with newspaper rather than the alloted gear.
13. Shoot your M-16 cocked sideways, ghetto style.
14. Diddybob everywhere you go.
15. Always try and give a DI a hi-five.
16. Revellie is optional. Sleep in when you feel tired.
17. The appropriate greeting of the day should always be "Waaaasssssaaaaaa!!!" (Like the budweiser commercial)
18. Female drill instructors should always be told how pretty they look today.
19. 4 pm is when milk and cookies is served. Sometimes the drill instructors forget, so it is your duty to remind them.
20. Bring a videocamera and tape all of this, cause I wanna watch the chaos commence.

Follow these rules and

Echo5November
08-18-06, 12:47 AM
I forgot number 5.

5. Always ask to have your hair highlighted when you go to the barber, and grow some sideburns and a goatee. Be a fashion pioneer.

6yrforMar
08-18-06, 12:23 PM
You are going to get some poolee a good butt kicking if they take your list seriously,but it is some funny stuff!

JWG
08-18-06, 03:36 PM
You are going to get some poolee a good butt kicking if they take your list seriously,but it is some funny stuff!

:beer:

If any of my fellow Poolees and/or Wannabe Marine's takes that list seriously.. I hate to say, but.. they kind of deserve it. :banana:

Good stuff, Lance! :thumbup:

-Jon

SLU_fly_girl
08-21-06, 04:43 PM
The trick is show up and be invisible. ANYTHING that makes you stand out makes you a target. You want to look EXACTLY like the 79 other recruits. I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out. Follow the lead of what the Drill instructor says to bring in the link from JINELSON you were provided.

Sometimes easier said then done, especially when you're the tallest recruit in your platoon and you have a good 2-3 inches on the next recruit and 4-6 inches on the rest of the platoon. If this is the case, just hope for the best. Expect to work at least twice as hard as the recruit that the Drill Instructor still doesn't know on TD (Training Day) 54. Expect to be yelled at more than anyone else and just work your butt off!

It's not always a bad thing. Who knows, maybe you'll turn out to be a kick a$$ recruit. Your Drill Instructors might end up liking you, even though they won't show it.

Just think. It could always be worse! You can stand out for whatever reason and then be given a billet such as guide, squad leader or scribe. I can GUARANTEE that your staff will know your name within the first day of this happening because it happened to me! Lucky for me, I became the scribe in the forming days and was still scribe on graduation day!! ;)

:banana: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! :banana:

Camper51
08-21-06, 05:11 PM
As I said in my statement "I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out." The Drill Instructors WILL find something, and yes it can be good because squad leaders and scribes, and guides are often promoted out of boot camp and one is usually the honorman. But what they look for and find is LEADERSHIP abilities and the willingness to do your job. You do what they expect and you are rewarded, you fail and you are just another recruit...

JWG
08-21-06, 07:22 PM
Oh great.. I'm currently 14 years old, and already 6'2. I'm going to stick out like a burning red hot thumb!

iamcloudlander
08-27-06, 05:20 AM
I realize that things have changed since my first day at MCRD SD but as we stood on the yellow footsteps (after a time of yelling by the DI) the first stop was a barbers chair for a skin head haircut (regardless of how much hair you had before sitting down) next stop was a large room with nothing but a lot of long tables (with empty cardboard boxes sitting on them) we then had to strip and everything we had went into the box. The DI's (who were walking up and down the length of the tables and yes yelling) would stop at each man and empty his wallet and throw anything you couldn't have into the box. We then sealed the box and wrote the address where it was supposed to be sent on it (last time we seen these boxes)
We then lined up and had to take a shower afterwards went down a row of windows and had our "uniforms" thrown at us--this consisted of a pair of white hi top tennis shoes, green socks, yellow sweatshirt (with red Eagle Globe and Anchor on it) a utility cover,pair of utility trousers, pair of white boxers and white tee shirt and the longest dam belt I had ever seen. We returned to the room with the tables and the DI's taught us how to wear our "uniform" and this remained our uniform for the first week at MCRD SAN DIEGO.
Once upon a time when someone wanted to be a Marine they walked into a recruiters office and he took it from there if you were qualified he sent you to an AFEES where you got a physical and IQ testing and if you passed you were sworn in and usually went to one of the MCRD's from there.
No one told you what to bring how to dress or any rules you must obey when you got there--that was the DI's job.
Every one started out as equals,it was up to the individual to excel or fail.
We did not have the opportunity the poolees have now as far as motovation because we didn't know it but there is waiting at MCRD the greatest motovater in the world---
it is the Marine Drill Instructor. When you first meet your DI's you might not understand the language they speak but very quickly will not misunderstand or fail to carry out any of his commands. He will become the focal point in your life. He will cause you to perform feats you once thought impossible. He will heap physical torture on you and you will comply.
I know this sounds as if I am defining the Marine Drill Instructor as a demonic type person, I am not because he is the mold you will be the clay used to make a Marine. He will never have anything personal against any recruit but he will make sure that you are a finished product before you leave him.
Remember always that what you are doing in a MCRD many have done before you and they are the ones that you will be serving beside and when you join them not only will they know but you also will know that you have earned the right to stand besides them as a Marine.
Don't let anyone deter you or stand in your way if the end product of your quest is to be a Marine--no one can help or hinder you if this is what you want.
Welcome and good luck in MCRD hope to see all of you earn your place among the best and join the greatest brotherhood and sisterhood in the world. SEMPER FI forever

mc2006
09-10-06, 01:47 PM
dont wear your poolee shirt cuz the di's will have your a$$ for wearing anything that says MARINE before you have earned it. the recieving di's will get you, and then when you get your stuff back on t68, your greenbelts will have it.

J-Ro
09-10-06, 05:00 PM
I forgot number 5.

5. Always ask to have your hair highlighted when you go to the barber, and grow some sideburns and a goatee. Be a fashion pioneer.

True success in the Corps... 1 thru 20

Hollywood Marines:
Standing tall and looking good. Marines who graduated from San Diego, CA.

USMCVet1992
11-18-06, 02:18 PM
NEVER LAUGH....One of the Marines in my platoon in boot made that mistake... imagine pushing, crying and saying over and over "HA HA SIR." Also, if you have moles or any weird little thingys on your head, the barber will surgically remove them with the fastest haircut you have ever had in your life. LOL

ZooKeeper
11-29-06, 08:20 PM
If I could Go back, I would shave my head prior to shipping off

I can't tell if you are serious or kidding. I figured they would jump down your throat for "pretending to be a Marine" before you have earned it. I already keep my hair at 1/8" anyways, so I figured I would have to let it grow for a few weeks before I went.

6yrforMar
11-29-06, 09:31 PM
Never say "I CAN`T", Semper Fi

thezero
11-30-06, 08:23 AM
As I said in my statement "I can guarantee there WILL be something for the Drill instructor to use to single you out, don't help him out." The Drill Instructors WILL find something, and yes it can be good because squad leaders and scribes, and guides are often promoted out of boot camp and one is usually the honorman. But what they look for and find is LEADERSHIP abilities and the willingness to do your job. You do what they expect and you are rewarded, you fail and you are just another recruit...

This to the willingness to do your job part. If you aren't willing to do your job then do not enlist in the Corps (directed to future poolees, including myself) you have to be willing to make anything happen, including making it through Boot Camp

Radiofantry
12-11-06, 01:49 PM
Oh great.. I'm currently 14 years old, and already 6'2. I'm going to stick out like a burning red hot thumb!

I'm 6'7, almost 6'8, and you're 100% correct. You are always going to stick out, and you're going to get ****ed with a lot, especially if you're like me and end up with a tall, skinny, drill instructor who remembered being messed with for being a tall, skinny, white kid. So he decided to mess with me for being a tall, skinny, white kid.

So yes, be prepared to get absolutely destroyed, constantly, and do nothing but clean the "tall portholes".

Oh, and because you stick out so much, you're going to get messed with by the DI's from other platoons more than most people.

ElDiablo
12-22-06, 09:41 AM

Don't worry, I'm 16 and I'm only 5'5. That's a little short. The way I see it, the Drill Instructor will looking everyone over and suddenly he comes to a gap in the line, then he'll look down and see...me.:)

thezero
12-22-06, 09:48 AM
Don't worry, I'm 16 and I'm only 5'5. That's a little short. The way I see it, the Drill Instructor will looking everyone over and suddenly he comes to a gap in the line, then he'll look down and see...me.:)

Thats ok I'm going to be the first one they know, because my dad is going to make a little phone call and say that he is a retired Marine:!: , aand my grand-father and step graand-father on my mom's side are retired Marines, so I'm going to have sooooooo much fun:p

ElDiablo
12-22-06, 09:49 AM
So...we're pretty much evened out, I'm short, and your family hates you...

hunter06
12-31-06, 04:57 PM
you poolees have no idea what your getting into. yea bottcamp sucks but hate to break it to you all, but it dont matter what size you, you are still going to get killed. they dont care who your family is, they'll tell you that. half of my platoon had family in the Marine Corps. you want to feel something hard? try telling your family when youll be leaving for iraq.i am not treying to sound like a prick or anything but you all make it sound like bootcamp is a game or a joke. i dont know if i am the only one who sees it this way or if thats just how poolees think, but good luck to you all
Semper Fi

Quinbo
02-08-07, 11:11 PM
Proper greeting of the day, noon or night...

"Good morning, afternoon, or night, followed by the rank of the Marine"
Generally it from a lower rank to higher rank,
But there been occasions, when an Officer might asked;
How are you doing Marine before you can render that officer a proper greeting.
I was reading a web page, where a Marine corporal asked, why can't we extend courtesy to one another as enlisted Marines.
His point being that we all went through boot camp, and we should acknowledge that fact, instead of just passing by.

This is an old thread but brought to mind a navy chief indoctrination. One of the questions was .... what should you do if a a Marine private salutes you. Answer .... salute him back.... then thank him. Many many Marine privates mistake them golden anchors for officer stars and bars. You are not an officer but a chief petty officer and it is an honor to you when a Marine salutes you.... you might go a step further and shake his/her hand.

dsaga259
03-06-07, 08:28 PM
Its nice too see a marine with a sense of humor.:evilgrin:

1. Show up to bootcamp with a shirt that has a pink ega emblem.
2. Bring Condoms
3. Attempt to hug the drill instructor on the way out the bus.
4. Instead of standing on the yellow footprints, sit down.
6. Instead of shouting "Yes Sir!", say "Right On!!"
7. Complain about the sizes issued to you in supply at receiving.
8. Smuggle in a cell phone and make call to your girlfriend infront of all the DI's
9. the first time a drill instructor tells you to do something, say "Got it Sarge!!"
10. Sag your cammie and try and be stylish. The DI's like that.
11. Interupt the DI's and ask questions like "whats for breakfast in this joint?", and "so when do I get my own room?"
12. On humps, pack your alice pack with newspaper rather than the alloted gear.
13. Shoot your M-16 cocked sideways, ghetto style.
14. Diddybob everywhere you go.
15. Always try and give a DI a hi-five.
16. Revellie is optional. Sleep in when you feel tired.
17. The appropriate greeting of the day should always be "Waaaasssssaaaaaa!!!" (Like the budweiser commercial)
18. Female drill instructors should always be told how pretty they look today.
19. 4 pm is when milk and cookies is served. Sometimes the drill instructors forget, so it is your duty to remind them.
20. Bring a videocamera and tape all of this, cause I wanna watch the chaos commence.

Follow these rules and

Tooks
07-07-07, 11:16 PM
i am not treying to sound like a prick or anything but you all make it sound like bootcamp is a game or a joke. i dont know if i am the only one who sees it this way or if thats just how poolees think, but good luck to you all

I know that I am absolutely terrified. I want to leave for boot as soon as possible but at the same time I don't want to go. I know going to be absolutely slaughtered, and the though terrifies me. I'm bout ready to chit a brick over all I've read.

Jdncowboy
07-08-07, 12:43 AM

Don't worry ive got ya both, if your 5'5 and 16 and he's 6'2 and 14 and sticking out like a sore thumb, than I'll be stinking out like two broken legs, when being 19 and 6'7

shellyhunter
11-18-08, 03:37 PM
DO NOT pretend to be an actor or actress in an old bruce lee film (by moving your lips in a delayed reaction after the statement is finished) while the platoon is standing at attention sounding off knowledge for hours in front of your racks...your fellow recruits will not hold their bearing and the laughter well cause great anger to your drill instructors!

Bonzack
11-23-08, 06:57 AM
1. Keep your mouth shut until told to open it.
2. DO NOT GO TO MEDICAL FOR LITTLE STUFF. I had like 5 drops because of medical.
3. When you do get a chance to talk to male recruits, females, and vice versa, don't make it obvious, dont look at each other across the room, ignore each other. I got put on my face a few times for that, cause I had friends in 2081.