PDA

View Full Version : Big Guys

Bohica547
03-12-06, 01:50 PM
I have a question for all you former or current Marines.

How do the big guys do? What is expected for a guy who literally stands out in the crowd? My uncle was big, and he ended up humping everything from the M60 to mortar base plates.

I am 6ft 4in, I weigh 285. Pull ups are up to 6, my situps are maxed, but my 3 mile is sh*t. I used to play college football, but I quit for financial reasons. No, I'm not an X-box addicated butterball, I think I am in relatively good shape. Certainly, not USMC shape though.

Also, go ahead and share some stories, of guys from your career.

Shadowman777
03-12-06, 08:34 PM

How do the big guys do? What is expected for a guy who literally stands out in the crowd? My uncle was big, and he ended up humping everything from the M60 to mortar base plates.

I am 6ft 4in, I weigh 285. Pull ups are up to 6, my situps are maxed, but my 3 mile is sh*t. I used to play college football, but I quit for financial reasons. No, I'm not an X-box addicated butterball, I think I am in relatively good shape. Certainly, not USMC shape though.

Question: Are you serious about joning the Corps - or just have questions?

Bohica547
03-15-06, 07:39 AM
Yep, I want to join the USMC. I know I need work, but thats what I'm working on. I know I'm not ready yet. I just want to know how guys my size have done in the past, even though each person is different.

I am looking for something like "remember that one guy from Delta Co., he was huge."

I'm just looking for some moto, and some things I can expect.

ferg81mm
03-15-06, 08:39 AM
don't worry, you'll get the chance to have your fair share, no need to be greedy

junker316
03-15-06, 09:22 AM
There was a few " big " guys in my Boot Camp. They were serious about being there and wanted to do thier very best. They proformed very well. Of course they had thier problems with thier hieght and wieght but they over came it. Every-one in my platoon had a chance to carry the heavy loads. Not just the " big " guys. Being a Marine ment more to them than thier size. All I can suggest is to continue to train on your fitness program to become USMC material and if you are as serious as you say you are then get ready for an experience that not every-one has a chance to get.

Phantom Blooper
03-15-06, 10:33 AM
I had a Marine in Quantico,VA that was a Corporal. <br />
<br />
I was his platoon guide at that time and for awhile his acting Plt. Sgt.. <br />
<br />
He weighed in at close to 300#'s and was well over 6'6&quot; tall. <br />

lovdog
03-15-06, 11:45 AM
My Bunkie was the biggest guy in our platoon - about 6'-3" and probably around 260# or so. I was about 5'8" and 172. On the fireman's carry across the field he was my "man" (no one else wanted him!!) I was only a step behind the leader at the half-way - on the way back - we just "flew" - beat everybody by a mile!!! He was a pretty quiet guy, didn't say much - but a good friend and surely someone you could rely on. He was a pretty intelligent guy as I recall, had some college, but ended up an 0300. Don't think he became a "tunnel rat" though - shoulders were about 4' across!! He even asked me if he could have the top bunk!! I'm just glad it never "caved in"!!!

Osotogary
03-15-06, 01:32 PM
Bohica547-
Enter Staat in the SEARCH FORUMS box and you will have a reference that might just answer some of your questions.

Shadowman777
03-15-06, 02:59 PM

Your height is not a problem. I am 6' 3" and there were a couple guys taller then me. Your weight though is a cause for concern. Long distance runs with that much weight would play hell on your knees.

My take - for what it is worth - is to get down to 250lbs or less before even attempting to join the Corps. Boot camp will take care of the rest of the baby fat.

Steve

ggyoung
03-15-06, 05:46 PM
:marine: It seemed like the little guy always had the M60. They make a smaller traget. The big guy always seemed to get the M79.

Lithium
03-15-06, 09:23 PM
so My question is that same as his except for skinny guys

vision836
03-16-06, 02:29 PM
Back in the mid 80,s I knew a couple guys that were on the cover of Flex magazine. If memory serves me one was about 6'5 250# the other 5'5 190 or so. Their size was not a problem at all.It was their heart and desire to succeed. When I enlisted I was 5'6 130# out of shape. I ran and did pull-ups, sit-ups and more.At graduation my pft was 299. Mental muscle and physcial muscle can go along way. Good luck!!

Lithium
03-16-06, 06:36 PM
Woot more Motivation.....Cause Im like 140 and 5'10 and for the most part out of shape....Strength wise that is...I was built for endurance (running). As I see It i can do anything If I put my mind to it!!! It seems to me that the Marine Corps isnt all about muscle strength like most people say, its about muscle endurance. For instance, push ups have very little to do with strength but more to do with muscle endurance, same with pullups.

Bohica547
03-17-06, 10:25 AM
I agree, if I can dead lift twice my body weight, but I can't run twenty feet, its pretty pointless. Muscle endurance is my weak point, but I building it. Thats why I am not going to waste DIs time, by joining now. I going to work hard as hell get in shape and get ready now. Only after I am confident I won't suck it up, will I throw my hat in the ring.

Old Marine
03-17-06, 08:08 PM

When you are that big, you are also a big target.