PDA

View Full Version : New Marine Corps Boot Camp Movie

magnolia
03-10-06, 01:54 PM
:evilgrin: I have to write that I saw 'Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click.' and I very much enjoyed the fact that it didn't have the cheesy narration. Instead of asking a recruit what the food tastes like or if they were scared, the film makers actually showed this visually. As for the audio, it almost seems unimportant, or should I write, it seemed to provide the same experience as sound effects and music. I recommend watching this movie wearing head phones if you really want the full experience. And I read that some had trouble with the editing of this film, but I believe that no other film captures through the editing the intensity of recruit training. Again, it is so refreshing to see someone take a new direction on a story that has been told many times. It could have been easy to make it like every other Marine Corps video that you can buy at any graduation and PX. But above all, I am most impressed that the film isn't spoon feed to the audience. It seems as if the audience is rewarded after multiple viewings because there is something new to be discovered each time. Unlike a typical Hollywood film, this one stays with you and you almost have to see it again just to see if it all turns out the same. For me, I prefer this movie over 'Full Meat Jacket' simply because this is the real version. No script, no actors, and no pretending to be something more than it is. I just wish that we could see all of the footage that didn't make it into the final film. At the website www.canaanbrumley.com (http://www.canaanbrumley.com) there are some previews though with some footage that wasn't in the movie.
Semper Fi

CrazyBrave83
03-10-06, 02:02 PM
I had heard something about "Ears, Open. Eyeballs, Click" a while ago, and have been interested in seeing it since. Do you know of what plans to go on with this movie? DVD Release or anything? I'm really getting anxious to check it out.

Static_Sky25
03-10-06, 03:53 PM
Wanna buy it and show the wife what her goober hubby did everyday LOL

magnolia
03-10-06, 04:01 PM
Check out the official website of the movie www.canaanbrumley.com (http://www.canaanbrumley.com) and click on the contact button. Here you can order a dvd.
semper fi

Accord
03-13-06, 02:04 AM
I purchased a copy of it a few weeks ago and it's absolutely great, it actually had me laughing really hard at some parts like the recruit who can't get the moonbeam on to his rack and the DI runs over to him and the recruit goes "SIRRRRRR" and the DI replies "SIR WHAT.... SIR WHAT.... SIR WHAT" then the DI just screams "ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO" and grabs the entire rack and starts shaking it like a man man then he takes the rack and flips it over and throws it across the squadbay... the look on the recruits face was priceless.

I'm sure I won't be laughing when that recruit is me this summer though :D.

jinelson
03-13-06, 02:19 AM
I got one too and its awesome. Did you notice that everyone had a look of shock and terror on their faces you will join the long line of us that had that same look. And no John you wont be laughing while your aboard the depot at those incidents but you will when you are safely away and remembering those days with with other Marines. That flick sure motivated this old Marine!

OORAH!!!

Accord
03-13-06, 02:23 AM
My recruiter told me not to show the DVD to any of my fellow poolees because it might scare them away, haha.

Static_Sky25
03-13-06, 10:27 AM
He might be laughing when that happens, cause it is rather funny to see a grown man acting like that.... however I doubt he'll laugh twice ;)

servehard
03-13-06, 05:27 PM
umm....yea dident i post this movie like almost a month ago?????

jm4magic
08-02-06, 12:33 AM
any one know how to get the directors cut?

JWG
08-02-06, 06:28 AM
Wow.. this I got to see!

I'll add it to my "Wishlist," as we're already spending enough money on things right now. Look forward to it, though!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Magnolia! :thumbup:

-Jon :iwo:

Barret
08-02-06, 08:30 PM
First Boot Camp movie I've ever heard of that was not anti-military, or pro-military. All I've ever seen over boot camp was a few 30 minute shows on the Military Channel, which don't show the D.I's going crazy at all, just a few raised voices.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-03-06, 12:49 PM
He might be laughing when that happens, cause it is rather funny to see a grown man acting like that.... however I doubt he'll laugh twice ;)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The first time I got thrashed for laughing in boot camp was in receiving, the last time was graduation morning when we were supposed to be putting on our Charlies to go to chow- and there were countless times in the middle of those two. I don't have a good "poker" face, and some of that stuff was just funny.

:evilgrin: :banana:

Curt Geezus
08-03-06, 11:56 PM
It didnt have narration, and I hated it for that reason. It had moments, but it was basically just showing us film. Like ok..what is this supposed to be?? I assume this is the crucible..it seems like. I wonder what that guy is getting punished for?

Its not a very good DVD unless you have NO idea what boot camp is like. It shows some stuff you wont see on tv but I still didnt think it was worth the 25 dollar price tag.

3077India
01-18-07, 04:40 AM
This is the first Marine Corps movie I've known to have been featured at MCRD SD. Watching the clip brought back some long lost memories. I 'magine if I had seen that movie before I enlisted I would've experienced my doubts then rather than after I got off that bus at boot. :p

USMCVet1992
01-20-07, 06:55 AM
I recently received my copy of this movie and loved it. This is a good look into Boot Camp. One of my favorite parts is during the hump when the kid lying on the ground and says "my leg" and the DI freaks out..... The pugle sticks are good to go too.