PDA

View Full Version : Can't tell parents

SmokeyBandit
03-09-06, 08:19 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but I figure maybe I'll be helping someone else with the same problem down the road. The topic itself is pretty self explainatory.

The reason I'm struggling to tell my parents I want to join the Marine Corps is because of many reasons, but mostly because I don't want to dissappoint them. They've been sacrifices an arm and a leg for years so I can go to a $3,500 a year school. I'm about a 3.6-3.9 GPA student, and I get alot of stuff from colleges wanting me to check out their school.

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this problem because obviously most people here are going to see the Marine Corps in a good light myself included. My parents, I'm not so sure will. They're always asking me what college I want to go to since I was little. No one in my family have been even close to good students. Somehow I skipped the family tradition(heh). I myself don't see myself as that, "smart" I just do alot of studying.

I don't want to go to college, at least not now. I don't even want to enter the Corps as and officer, but as an enlisted MARINE. I know this probably sounds pretty stupid from a persons point of view that's in the Marines or is on their way to try to earn the title. As I said before this is probably the wrong place to ask what I should do because this is obviously a pro-MARINE place, myself included. But my parents are going to think that I'm entering some low class society where only hopeless kids who fail in school go. I n no way do not think that. I kind of see that as the beauty of the military, all social classes coming together to get a common goal done.

I love my country, and before those thugs come over here I want them to have to get past me, regaurdless of what it does to me. I've thought long and hard about joining the Corps for well over a year now. I'm just so pressured about college and getting a well paid job, but I'd rather have a meaning job with meaningful work than doing something useless earning 6 digits.

Sorry for this rant, but I need some help and inspiration at telling my parents what I want to do with my life.

GySgtRet
03-09-06, 08:36 PM
" I love my country, and before those thugs come over here I want them to have to get past me."

This line states a hole lot about your chracture. You are in a tough position. Even though your parents have been saving for quite a while for your education do you think that they would listen to your point of view? I think that you are wrong about not letting them know what you want to do with your life. Many of us including yours truly intended on four years and get out. I did my tour continuously from October 1973 - October 1993. It was the best and worst of times. There were more better than worst times I must confess.

" But my parents are going to think that I'm entering some low class society where only hopeless kids who fail in school go. I n no way do not think that. I kind of see that as the beauty of the military, all social classes coming together to get a common goal done."

This is my opinion only. If you are so head strong on joining the Marine Corps then you need to educate yourself about our culture, traditions, and history.

Then educate your parents. What part of Ohio are you from? I was raised in North Western Pa. A place called Greenville. Have you ever heard of it?
Think over what I just wrote and wait and see what other words of advice you get.

Good Luck young man and thank you for considering the United States Marine Corps the finest Fraturnity on this planet bar none...!!!

Brooklyn
03-09-06, 08:42 PM
If I were you I'd tell them that it's something I want them to read. Then I would let them read what you just wrote. That post seems like the perfect way to tell them.

G'luck.

jinelson
03-09-06, 08:58 PM
SmokeyBandit I echo what the Gunnery Sergeant said but would also like to add the fact that in nine months you will be considered an adult in our country. It is your life to lead and live as you see fit and your parents are well aware of that. I say inform them of your intentions Im sure that they will most likely be disappointed maybe even mad at first but they will change that in time. I am proud that our country has produced those like yourself and the day will come when they are just as proud. You might tell them that your college education will be funded by the United States government under the GI Bill. Good Luck to you.

AmyG
03-09-06, 09:06 PM
My parents weren't at all gung ho about me joining the military at all. But I would have felt more guilty if I had "sneaked" into joining the Corps, than just up and telling them.

Wanna kno what's at least got my parents resigned to the fact that I am joining, even to the point where they are interested and kind of want to help? First it was all the information I knew. Dad would mention something (he's retired Army, so he knows a lot about the military, from many standpoints), and I could say, "Yeah, I read about that, and this, this, this." I could tell him basically about the different officer programs, I could tell him about basic MOS's, I could tell him where, when, how, what about Recruit Training. He saw I was informed. That impressed him.

Second, my parents saw my determination to go through with this with or without them. And they could see I really didn't want to go against them, but I had to in order to go and do my country's duty. They totally dropped their support once, and I was sad. I would so much rather have them behind me. But when they saw me keep going anyway, they knew they couldn't let me go it totally alone.

Basic line...the best you can do is tell them.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-09-06, 09:17 PM
I was in a situation very close to what you're describing. My father didn't really want to have anything to do with me for YEARS after I enlisted, my entire family thought I was insane... all the typical stuff when a kid from the "right" schools with the "right" background would go through. In the end, you just have to be a man about it. If you are going to enlist they will find out sooner or later. I would bet they would resent you less for being honest about it now and let them know what you're thinking. By not telling them all you are really doing is lying to them. If you want to be one of us, start acting like it now. Have some integrity and do the right thing.

msf
03-09-06, 10:17 PM
what about the reserves?

cgkades
03-10-06, 01:33 AM
i skimmed through everyone's responses to give you mine:

my parents didnt support my dicision at first. i was going to school and all that, but i wanted to enlist. so i joined the reserves where i can go to school and still do the enlisted thing. what i could have done but didnt and will explain later is: i could have continued school after bootcamp and MOS school and then done the PLC program where i could go to school and not be deployed.

i have my reasons for not going the officer route and i can tell you in a PM, but long story short. you can tell your parents that you can join and not get deployed while you finish school and you can still be an enlisted Marine.

Phantom Blooper
03-10-06, 07:09 AM
SmokeyBandit,I agree with SSGT Nelson. In nine months you will legally be an adult in our society and able to make your own decisions of this magnitude. The decision is ultimately yours.

I don't always agree with my children all adults now. But for the most part I respect the decision that they make. All apron strings were severed at age eighteen for all three of them. If a choice was made after 18 it is the right that they have to do so. As long as they are not endangering themselves or others. I guess the Marine Corps in this sense could be a two edged sword. But one learns by trial and error. There are excellent suggestions on here. You may need to set down with your parents and have an open discussion with them. Contact a recruiter and have the recruiter speak to them about all your options including school and a commissioning program. Enlist the help of relatives that have gone into the military before you. Open mindedness is a good thing in this situation. But I would say to find the right time and lay all your cards on the table with your parents and let the cards fall where they may. If you are not satisfied. Then ultimately you have the decision to make in November what to do. This is a decision that you will have to live with for the rest of YOUR life. Your parents have already made decisions that have effected their lives, this without knowing but,pretty sure your grandparents were not real happy with.Good luck!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Wyoming
03-10-06, 07:37 AM

'Can't tell parents'? Sure you can, and the sooner the better.

Starting from the day they pillowed, they have raised you, and I bet instilled some sort of self-motivation and to be independent.

There is nothing wrong with foregoing a college education and joining the Marines. The thing I have seen so many times is folks taking a year off to 'find' themselves, before going to school, never seem to make it.

In todays World, an education is extremely important. I would say you have two choices - follow your dream or go on to college.

Here's where I stand - Go on to college. Make the most of it. Four years from now, you wil be that much more mature, and the Marines will be looking folks just like you.

My folks both went to college. Mom finished, Dad didn't. He went into the Army AirCorp and flew around in WWII. Got a few things to pin on his uniform and came out a 1st Lt. Spent the next 10 years chasing airplanes as an instructor after WWII and during the Korean War. He never finished his quest for a degree. Was he a failure, even though he seemed to have regrets in his later years? Methinks not. He and Mom raised four kids. Two went on to University and two didn't. All four are quite successful.

Bottom line - TALK TO YOUR PARENTS!!

KMichael
03-10-06, 09:14 AM
I had a hard time telling my mom I wanted to join the Corps... She didn't like it at first but she kinda grew to accept it... I'm a fairly decent student and have about a B average and colleges sending me stuff all the time... She really didnt want me to go but eventually realized that this was essentially my decision and not hers... My best advice... Sit down and talk it over with them... It may not go over well at first but toak to them... Tell them this is what you're inteseted in and what you want to do with you life... And tell them why... That can be the difference between them accepting or rejecting... Anyway... Good luck with it all... Be sure to let us know how it all goes... Semper Fi!

Rdy2gopoolie
03-10-06, 09:18 AM
Had the same problem. My mom was totally against it. My dad is nervous. I have four Marines in my family so i had them to back me up and i talked to my parents. eventually they came around. good luck

SmokeyBandit
03-10-06, 04:03 PM
First off, thanks guys! Second, what exactly does the GI Bill ensure? I'd like to make a career out of the Corps, but I want to know the GI Bill benefits say I get discharged for a wound, or I just...

jinelson
03-10-06, 04:28 PM
Second to none there is no doubt about that! Heres a link that will answer all your questions about the $50,000.00 education benefits.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

Lithium
03-12-06, 11:04 PM
listen....they are your parents, they love you...it is only naturally that they want what is best for you, and they dont want to see you come home in a body bag, not saying that you will, but there comes a point where they have to understand and I think that if you just tell them, they will understand your point of view. When I told my parents, they said that even though they didnt like the idea, they would back me 110% with whatever I do. Tell your parents...you might be surprised, plus you can get alot of college paid for through GI bill and Marine Corps college fund.

AmyG
03-13-06, 01:47 PM
Hey, here's more on parents.

If they say they won't support you, won't come to your graduation, and all they do is rag on you about how you're so lazy you can't make it and all that...take it with a grain of salt. I had an issue with my mom last night. I almost walked out the door with my duffel, and I seriously was not going to come back. But Dad was crying so I couldn't do it yet. Anyway, Mom was fed up with me. Still is, in fact. She can't look at me without throwng something at me. I had asked her before, and she says she's not coming to my graduation, hates my guts, andsays I hate her. Well, talked to Dad later,, and he told me, Mom told him of course she's coming to my graduation. I am her daughter. So you can't totally trust your parents. For all you know, they do feel some pride, and they do support you in their hearts. They're just not showing it...yet. Give 'em time, and push on.

SmokeyBandit
03-13-06, 04:19 PM
Well I'm making progress I guess you could say. My Mom was asking me what I'd like to study in college and I said something along the lines of history and political sciences and she asked what college I'd like to try to get into. I told her I'd like to try to get into the Naval Academy and she mentioned a friend of her's son that was just accepted there. Then some how we got on the subject on Iran and Iraq and I said, "I wouldn't mind going to Iraq." Then she tried to tell me 5,000 people have died there (little exageration, but that's ok. I guess that just proves she cares about me :)). I told her "if not me, whose going to do it. If I don't who will?"*insert awkward silence here* Then I jumped in the shower and came out she was watching TV then, so I guess you just have to take the old strategy I heard some Marine say to his troops mid-way through Fallujah. He said, "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast."

Thanks for the help all!

Lithium
03-13-06, 04:31 PM
good for you, im glad you broke the ice with your parents, now ya gotta take a deep plunge into freezing cold water ;). If you can get in the Naval Academy, go for it!!! It is a great opportunity, and you can either make a career out of the Marines or come out and get a great job. Not many employers are going to turn down a potential employee with a degree from the USNA. I have personally looked into it, but I do not make good enough grades to join, but as long as you look into it you got a shot.

And i have personally used the line, "someones gotta do it, someones gotta die for their country" It brings a tear to my eye when I or someone else uses it. Im not so much sad that I might die, Im sad that people that I will be close to might die, and like you said earlier, those motherf****** are going to have to get through me before they can terrorize my country and family.

SmokeyBandit
03-13-06, 04:38 PM
Well, my plan right now is to go Enlisted to see if I like the military. If I do go for the Academy. If I don't then I'll do my tour and then take advantage of the GI Bill. Somewhat of a win, win situation.

I think my parents just want me to make money or something, which I can understand, but I'd rather do meaningful work and not earn a red cent than make 6 digits and hate my job.

I was told not to plan it all, so I'm just staying open minded to all things. Follow my heart and my God.

Thanks again for the help everyone! And to any Poolee's that may be reading this after me. Go for it! Like the Nike Slogan, "Just do it!"

Lithium
03-13-06, 04:54 PM
Can you apply to get into the academy after you enlist?

SmokeyBandit
03-13-06, 06:57 PM
I believe so, as long as your younger than 22 I believe.

yellowwing
03-13-06, 07:06 PM
It sounds like your folks need to be sold on the idea. Collect a lot of hard facts on the benefits, education, and training. Plus the ideals of developing a good sense of teamwork and leadership are assets you can bring to any organization.

One sales tip that I have learned, if they ask a tough question that you are unprepared for, repeat a good selling point. If they accept the answer, you have them 'closed'.

wannabemarine10
03-13-06, 08:11 PM
the way I looked at it was that telling my parents was one of the first steps to becoming a Marine. I say this because it is a time when instead of chickening out and not telling them you get up stand tall and tell them. it takes a some guts to tell your parents and care givers of so many years that you are ready to make a sound decision on your own. So just tell them. worst case scenarion they will say no in which case you can either work on it some more or wait until 18. Either way you will of told them.

christine_06
03-13-06, 08:22 PM
when i first told my mom that i wanted to be in the Marines she thought i was joking until i told her that i had a meeting with my recruiter to fill out paperwork to enlist then she knew i was serious and that i really wanted to do this but she's still kinda iffy about it and doesn't really like it but she's adapting to it. good luck!

Tallboot
03-14-06, 09:53 AM
This is really Straight out but .. your parents cant and will not be able to be there to make your choice .. and if you let them decide for you what you want do .. your going to end up doing **** you dont want to be in .. Explain to your parents that in active duty they pay 100%!! of your college afterward .. theres also a thing called a GI bill, for if you need more training for a job it is paid for, not even to mention Life time Medical for you and your family (free). You need to tell your parents what you want to do, and get there support, if you are 18, you are old enough to make your decisions and when you sign that paper .. Approval of mom and dad or not your going to bootcamp .. so my point is tell them, and tell them what your going to do with your life .. at one point in your life or another you have to make your own decisions

Tallboot
03-14-06, 10:03 AM
AMYG , i think there are some other poolees like you also .. seriously i think 80% of it is that .. they dont want to let there sons and daughters go, but when your in 11th,12th grade your getting to that point in time that you no longer need your mom and dad to wipe your ass.

As for me? i do not need my mom and dad or anyone else to support me or tell me this is the right thing to do, I know it is. I going to bootcamp as soon as i get my diploma.

stiffler2
03-14-06, 11:51 AM
Your parents, not to sound rude, are probably thinking about Vietnam and that sort of crap. They listen to the news and all they hear is a bunch of stuff about how many people have died, when the only reason the news says that crap is for ratings. Anyway, what I am saying is that you should show them everything that ou could be doing. If they are open-minded, take them to some websites about it. Show them this one! You might even have a recruiter come to talk to them.

My mom was in the Army and dropped somehow because it was too hard. Well, I am not going to do that. She keeps telling me that I should not join and that I can still get out. But in the end, it is my choice, not hers. It is the same for you. Make the decision the way you want.

You could always join college before, if you want to, and then become an officer. Or, you can go to school after you are out.
Whatever you do, be smart and good luck!

Lithium
03-14-06, 12:40 PM
my granparents are actually the ones against me joining any form of the military....they are extremely liberal...especially my Grandma (yea weird). She hates Bush, and the war. Personally I dont hate Bush but I disagree with some of his decisions...anyways....My grandma is always on my case about college and she asks me every time I see her what colleges i have been looking into even though she knows I dont want to go to college out of highschool...She is hellbent on the idea that im going to college. Part of my ambition, more like a bonus, to joining the marines is to throw it in her face and show her I can make my own decisions in life.....:D

Marine84
03-14-06, 01:21 PM
Stiffler - the news doesn't just tell how many people have died just for ratings. Obviously you've never seen the Vietnam Wall in DC...............

stiffler2
03-14-06, 01:33 PM
Marine84- I apologise for that, but yes, actually, I have seen it. And, I think that I have a little bit more appreciation for it than some others. When I went to see it, I wept inside for those names that I saw and the people that owned the names. My family and friends that were with me thought it was 'cool' to see. How ridiculus is that?

What I was trying to say was what people are hearing about todays foreign policies. Sure, we all know that the Vietnam War, Korean War, so on and so forth were really bad with a lot of deaths, but it seems that when people think about this war, all that they can think of was the fact that over 1,000 men have died out of the millions that have died in the past. I am not saying that is a small number, that is 1000+ too many if you ask me, but what I am saying is that if you think that when you go over to Iraq you will die, get your facts straight. The news wants to give the bad news for ratings, so do magazines, websites, books, etc.... But, what about all of the photos I have seen of a carnival some military personell went to while over there? What about the little kids asking for US Soldiers autographs and asking for a hug? You don't see that on the news.

Thank you, though, for reading what I had to say. I understand what you mean, I guess I should have explained more.

servehard
03-14-06, 06:16 PM
All i have to say is suck the **** up and tell them, the worst they can say is that they disapprove......ITS UR FUTURE DO WHAT THE **** U WANT TO DO...they might not talk to u for little bit, but eventually they will respect ur decision......GOOD LUCK BRO ORAH!!!

servehard
03-14-06, 06:19 PM
Yo yea and i forgot to add stop talking to MARINES AND RETIRED MARINES LIKE THEY ARE one of or ***** friends....TALK TO THEM WITH RESPECT AND LOOK UP TO THEM, ONE THING I CANT STAND IS TO SEE A POOLEE TALK TO A MARINE OR RETIREE LIKE A KID....RESPECT THEM!!!!! THEY HAVE BEEN TO HELL AND BACK AND SURVIVED! ORAH!

Phantom Blooper
03-14-06, 07:11 PM
All i have to say is suck the **** up and tell them, the worst they can say is that they disapprove......ITS UR FUTURE DO WHAT THE **** U WANT TO DO...they might not talk to u for little bit, but eventually they will respect ur decision......GOOD LUCK BRO ORAH!!!

Yo yea and i forgot to add stop talking to MARINES AND RETIRED MARINES LIKE THEY ARE one of or ***** friends....TALK TO THEM WITH RESPECT AND LOOK UP TO THEM, ONE THING I CANT STAND IS TO SEE A POOLEE TALK TO A MARINE OR RETIREE LIKE A KID....RESPECT THEM!!!!! THEY HAVE BEEN TO HELL AND BACK AND SURVIVED! ORAH!

In this case leave your potty mouth at the gate. Talking this way or typing this way is not a sign of maturity. You should watch how you talk as there are mothers and family members of future Marines and poolees reading this and it is not setting the example that this young man is trying to portray.Cussing every other word is not proving anything except your boot size. Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

LittleDevilDog
03-14-06, 07:16 PM
The best advice a Marine once told me was..

"If you're not doing it for you, get the **** away and don't waste my Corps time. You shouldn't care what others think, you're doing it because YOU want to do it, aren't you!?!"

Good luck, bro. I hope if it's truly what you want, you get your EGA.

Best of luck to you.

Tallboot
03-15-06, 06:10 PM

He said the question correctly, he degraded no one. Stop yelling and flamming, i think you need to calm down a little bit lol. He has great potential

Lithium
03-15-06, 09:19 PM
yea serve hard...they only ask that we capitalize Marines...unless they tell me to do otherwise, I will talk to them like friends. Hell we are on forums, you cant possibly expect us to say sir at the end of everything. I dont even see what he said wrong....just chill out...your a little too gung-ho.

Mama
03-16-06, 11:22 PM
I had a hard time telling my mom I wanted to join the Corps... She didn't like it at first but she kinda grew to accept it... I'm a fairly decent student and have about a B average and colleges sending me stuff all the time... She really didnt want me to go but eventually realized that this was essentially my decision and not hers... My best advice... Sit down and talk it over with them... It may not go over well at first but toak to them... Tell them this is what you're inteseted in and what you want to do with you life... And tell them why... That can be the difference between them accepting or rejecting... Anyway... Good luck with it all... Be sure to let us know how it all goes... Semper Fi!

I can tell ya, when she came to me and said the Corps I about fell over in a dead faint.

But, she's a strong girl, good set of morals, and extremely self motivated...I have no doubt she'll be a great Marine. She found what she wanted to do, set her goal and is getting their on her own terms...through the Corps.

How could a parent not be proud. Yeah, I drug my heels a bit on signing her DEP papers, but well...okay, it was with that stroke of the pen that I let my baby girl go and had to see her for the extraordinary young woman she'd grown into.

Your parents my be the same way...hesitant to let go of their baby...

And no matter how hard, tough or independent the Corps makes her, she'll still be my little girl... That's why the saying "There's nothing tougher than a USMarine except his/her mother" ;)

Talk to your parent, be logical, and surprise the heck out of 'em with the maturity it takes to make the decision to join the Corps

KMichael
03-16-06, 11:31 PM
I can tell ya, when she came to me and said the Corps I about fell over in a dead faint.

But, she's a strong girl, good set of morals, and extremely self motivated...I have no doubt she'll be a great Marine. She found what she wanted to do, set her goal and is getting their on her own terms...through the Corps.

How could a parent not be proud. Yeah, I drug my heels a bit on signing her DEP papers, but well...okay, it was with that stroke of the pen that I let my baby girl go and had to see her for the extraordinary young woman she'd grown into.

Your parents my be the same way...hesitant to let go of their baby...

And no matter how hard, tough or independent the Corps makes her, she'll still be my little girl... That's why the saying "There's nothing tougher than a USMarine except his/her mother" ;)

Talk to your parent, be logical, and surprise the heck out of 'em with the maturity it takes to make the decision to join the Corps

OOH RAH Mama... Ooh Rah...

GySgtRet
03-17-06, 07:09 AM
SmokeyBandit,
It appears that the consenses it that you need to be honest to yourself and talk with your parents about what you have planned for your future. Good luck I know that you make make the correct choice for yourself.

Marine84
03-17-06, 08:07 AM
You'll see Mama Michael - your baby girl will do you proud. I've been out of the Corps for almost 20 years now and, to this day, my Mama is just as proud as the day I came home and told her that I was joining. You'll be proud to fly that "MY DAUGHTER IS A UNITED STATES MARINE" bumber sticker! And we Marines love everybody's Mamas so you'll have a whole bunch of new "kids" too.

Mama
03-17-06, 07:04 PM
I'm always ready for new kids!

Hugs are always free ;)

and dinner...well...

my lil poolee can tell ya...if ya leave my house hungry...it's your own danged fault :P

yellowwing
03-17-06, 08:56 PM
Mamma Michael ~ Thanks for supporting your/our Marine poolee! Take a look at this bit of advice about sending care packages (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18751) to her during bootcamp.

Mama
03-18-06, 12:30 AM
I'm not even sending her a b'day card while she's in boot! Let alone a "care package" I've been around the military long enough to know she'll get smoked one way or another...

SmokeyBandit
05-27-06, 07:55 PM
Well I thought I'd bring this old topic back to update and mostly for the good of anyone else that had this problem.

I had a buddy of mine graduate from boot and when he was home on leave I had him turn my name in to a recruiter. I then had to tell my parents because I wanted to tell them, not a recruiter. My Mom got mad and screamed at me, lol, it was kind of expected, but it felt good to get it out in the open. My Dad said he was against it 100%, but that I was the only one who could choose which way my life would go. Now I'm working on getting into the recruiter for some talks! :)

Mama
05-27-06, 08:10 PM
Well at least you've taken the first step and told them of your plans.

I can tell ya shock was a big part of that reaction...along with denial and a few other emotions only a parent can relate to...

Time brings acceptance and pride hun, dont' worry.

G-d bless you :D

onux16
05-30-06, 06:29 PM
sweet deal, Smokey!

If you haven't talked with your recruiter and/or gone to DEP meetings and other events, I promise you're going to have an amazing time. Attending the meetings and doing any and everything you can with the other poolees will give you a greater sense of pride on your decision and an outlook on what you'll be doing.

I think my 6 months in DEP has left me 100x more excited and motivated than I was back in November. Just don't let others bring you down. My grandmother still can't stand the fact I ship next month, but she's at least warmed up a little to the idea.

Keep your head high and eyes straight on what you want. I'm proud knowing I'll soon be serving with guys like you!

mincj
05-31-06, 01:12 PM
i really don't think only the failures join the marines..you can't be completely stupid, they can't have stupid people to fight or plan war procedures for the country...and besides, the ASVAB test you have to take to get enlisted was so incredibly hard! i can't imagine any failures actually passing that thing.

onux16
05-31-06, 01:19 PM
at one point in time (even presently?), weren't certain criminals allowed to enlist in the Army rather than go to jail?

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-31-06, 01:22 PM
capitalize The "m" In Marines!

onux16
05-31-06, 01:36 PM
someone didn't read jinelson's sticky...
Rule Three when using the words Marine or Corps on this site they will be capitalized at all times!

Parker-0321
05-31-06, 01:45 PM
i should learn to read everything before i post lol. wheres the delete button!

ggyoung
05-31-06, 04:24 PM
When in reciving at MCRD SD there were 3 boots that were in handcuffs. All 3 turned out to be outatanding Marines. Some of the best combat Marines were givin the choise enlist or goto jail.

pwrchk
07-28-06, 01:27 AM
i had the same dilema...only my parents were the opposite...they spent my college fund my great grandparents had saved up..all 30,000$ of it...in one year. they knew i could get financial aid because they make close to nothing so they thought it would be ok. i am one of the few college bound in my family. most work at crap jobs and aren't going anywhere, but they scorn me for wanting to do this. they say this just because i'm female...while they congratulate male cousins. forget it. the only person that matters is you. tell them, yes, but it's your decision. being in one of these chat rooms for a short while helped this. they told me there wasn't a day they regretted, and i had to decide if i would. i won't. i don't believe in financial aid, that is not earning the money. i don't believe in 4 years and then officer, because i want to earn it a way i believe only someone who's been enlisted can. maybe not everyone agrees with that, but i want to be enlisted. i hear it sounds stupid, but i can't think of a way i'd rather it be. i'm joining...i don't care who scorns me anymore. i'm tired of being begged everyday not to...if anyone knew who i was they wouldn't beg me not to, and if your parents know you they won't beg you not to. i'm sorry i went off, but no one here GETS my side. do it for you. if you weigh the options, as i did, you'll see that all your other concerns pale in comparison when you think of NOT being a Marine, and life without being one.