PDA

View Full Version : Paris Island Stories

stiffler2
03-07-06, 08:51 AM
Alright, I know that some of you more exerienced marines have already posted your stories, but I want to know some more about your training with better detail. Don't give away everything, I need some surprise, but it would be cool to see how different people reacted to training.

You can tell me anything in here about your training. I am sure that it will all help.

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 10:16 AM
You really want the heavy hats to suprise you?

Nice PT numbers btw.

stiffler2
03-07-06, 10:22 AM
yeah, otherwise I won't learn anything while I am their. Well, at least, not as much. I know that no matter how much I have read, the real thing will be a test, I just don't want to be ready for all of it.
Like, don't tell me what days the tests are, or if we get breaks, or something else like that. I also don't want to get my hopes up and then be dissapointed.

Tell me what you guys went through, what the days were like, how much sleep you got. Some of the big guys you saw crying and complaining, how you got to be platoon leader or anything else.

Thanks, btw, for looking at my PT scores.

Marine84
03-07-06, 12:04 PM
There is no rest the whole time you're there. Just keep your mouth shut, do as you're told and don't EVER rare back to hit one no matter how ****ed off you get (and you will). The training is rough (sometimes rougher than others) - you'll be run to death, hazed to death, and put through all kinds of mental testing but it will all be worth it on graduation day.

stiffler2
03-07-06, 01:17 PM
Hey, I got a question.

Is it worth it to try and do really well and become the platoon leader or whatever? I don't mean to suck up, but to do really well at everything that I do.

Or, should I just lay low and not make a name for myself?

Marine84
03-07-06, 02:54 PM
It's always worth it to try to do your best at everything and you'll make a name for yourself just being a Marine. Don't be a suck up though - Marines hate that sh_t and some of the other recruits might try to give you a sock party one night.

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 02:58 PM
If you are asking whether or not you should try to do the best you can while at boot camp I wonder if you belong in the Marine Corps.

stiffler2
03-07-06, 05:28 PM
What I meant was, should I try to be better than the others in my platoon. If I know that I can do 50 more sit-ups than Johny B., should I do 50 more, or just one more?

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 05:32 PM
What I meant was, should I try to be better than the others in my platoon. If I know that I can do 50 more sit-ups than Johny B., should I do 50 more, or just one more?

Just do as many as you can before the clock stops.

Shadowman777
03-07-06, 07:55 PM
Alright, I know that some of you more exerienced marines have already posted your stories, but I want to know some more about your training with better detail. Don't give away everything, I need some surprise, but it would be cool to see how different people reacted to training.

You can tell me anything in here about your training. I am sure that it will all help.

No matter how much you think you know - how much you read, how many experiences you read about -- *NOTHING* can prepare you for Marine Corps boot camp. Nada, zilch, zero. It is something that must be lived. You will see!

My son thought he was ready. He was physically fit, tough as nails, and is very intelligent. His mother and I were both Marines; he read all the books and saw all the movies. He even *requested* Parris Island. I asked him on his graduation day in 2002 - if he was as ready as he thought. He said, "Dad, I didn't have a clue."

Yeah, it's like that!!! LOL!

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 10:46 PM
Stiffler, read my earlier comment again and think about my answer. YES YOU SHOULD DO 50 MORE SITUPS IF YOU CAN! Don't ever give less than your best effort! I cannot fathom why you would even consider doing less than your best.

GriT
03-08-06, 06:38 AM
I understand what you are saying stiffler. In general, give 110% no matter what. Don't volunteer though! There's always a catch. lol. If you are called upon to carry out an order, do it to the best of your ability. Nothing less. I wish I could be a poolee. I still have about 2 more years of highshool left.

Shadowman777, thats pretty much what I'm doing right now. Reading, studying and plenty of PT. I'm a MARINE cadet for a nation wide cadet program, it keeps me busy so that I'm not going crazy here. lol I can't wait!

stiffler2
03-08-06, 06:40 AM
Alright, thanks guys, for all of the help! I will keep all of what you said in mind!

dcgreer
03-08-06, 08:07 AM
I went through PI in March-May 68. And as others have written, nothing prepares you for the experience. You are definitely reborn. The underlying theme througout boot camp is teamwork. Work with everyone in the platoon. If you are stronger, help those that are not. Remember, this isn't about you, its about the Corps, who we are, what we do, and we will be. The later president, Ronald Reagan said something to the effect: Most people spend there lives wondering if they made a difference in the world...the Marines don't have that problem.

My father fought in the Pacific during the WWII on board an LST. His advice to me when I went off to boot camp was keep your mouth shut, do as your told, and do it quickly.

When I went through PI, basic training was 8 weeks (because of Vietnam I guess). ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) was at Camp Geiger, NC, another month for non-infantry MOS, longer for the 0300s.

Above all, forget the personal pronoun "I." The Marines are about "we."

Good luck.