PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting!!!!!

jusa145
03-06-06, 07:02 PM
i want some advice on what i should do. Im a senior in high school right now and i am looking at the marines. My parents are agaisnt it a lot becasue they are scared that i will go over to iraq and get killed. The hard part is that i live in a very wealthy area in the suburbs of chicago and i have the choice of going to a good college or chosing the marines and serving my country for a couple of years. I need you guys to help me out and give me some advice. Thanks a lot

yellowwing
03-06-06, 07:14 PM
We have several Marine on board that were in your same current situation. It was in their heart to do whatever it took, despite parental misgivings, to join Our Corps. Its ultimately up to you and what's in your heart.

We'll help you and answer any question that you have about the Marine Corps. Start out by using the site search and go through the discussions in the POOL (ee) Hall (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

dscusmc
03-06-06, 07:18 PM
Giving advice can be a hazardous undertaking. But, remember, all advice is usually in part autobiographical. The great thing about this site is that you get to learn from other people's successes and failures.

I will tell you that my parents were not happy with my decision to join the Marine Corps. When they went to my boot camp graduation, however, they were very proud of me and extremely impressed with the Marines.

You are in a fortunate position to have lots of good options. My decision to join the Marine Corps when I was 19 was a little bit spontaneous. I'm sure that my parents would have been less shocked if I had given them more information about what the Marine Corps is about and what I was going to do.

My advice, figure out ALL of your options, gather some information, and do some soul-searching. I don't want anybody joining the Marine Corps unless its for the right reasons. Keep asking questions.

wannabemarine10
03-06-06, 07:37 PM
I was in the same situation you are. My parents were 100% against me going into the Marines, But after so many months of me talking about the marine non stop they finally sat down to talk with the recruiter and they signed the same week( had to do some negotiating over the mos and type of duty but Eventually it worked out) In the end it is your parents decision until you are 18 then do what you think is right.

Brooklyn
03-06-06, 07:38 PM
If you want to go to school and be a Marine how about joining the Reserves? Your parents would still see you. They'll be happy that you're in college. You will be a Marine. Though you can still get sent to Iraq.

GySgtRet
03-06-06, 07:49 PM
jusa145,

Contemplating what to do for a short period of your life is a lot worse than planning your future long time future. All of us here are here to give you advise and mentor your thoughts and not give you ideas about what to do you have to do that. You have two options as I read it and one isn't popular with the folks. If it were me and its not me I would find out what the Marine Corps is all about not what the Marines can do for you that will come in time with your tenure if you qualify. Find out what and who we are so maybe you can decide what is best for you. Don't go with what your friends suggest they haven't been there and done that yet. You are at a critical time in your life take some chances, well atleast little ones. Ask yourself. If I become a Marine what can I do to make a difference? Believe me some people cannot answer this question, they have no idea at all. We probably would not want you if you cannot do this. The Marine Corps will not hand you anything you will earn everything that you get the good, the bad, and the ugly, it is up to you not anybody else.

I am glad that you have an interest and that you are asking about the Corps. Some other people in your situation that have other means of education and experience would jump for the easy way out. Since you are asking maybe you are thinking to yourself. What can I do with my life. Buddy you are at the worst time in your life a huge crossroads in your life and I do not envey you at all. You have tough choices all of your life some will be right on the money others you will have to say, that wasn't my brightest thing that I could have done. But atleast you made the choice. Good luck we are all here to advise, you have to make the choices in your life not your friends, girl friend or your parents. It is your life now.

May06Enlistee
03-06-06, 09:26 PM
all i can say is that i was in your situation...my name is angie. i'm 23/f/ct, and my parents are not thrilled with my decision. i've always done everything my parents, especially my mom, have asked me to do. i'm now a year and a half away from grad as a PE teacher, and i've realized that i've got to do what makes me happy and what i want to do with my life. your parents can only guide you so far until you start standing on your own two feet and making your own decisions about your future, whether they like it or not. it sounds like they've done a great job raising an unselfish person who is willing to give himself and fight for his country and to keep it safe and free. it's difficult when you've got so much resistance coming at you. you may get confused as to what you really want or start doubting yourself. but you can't do that. i let my mom do that to me this fall, but i realized that no one would want their son or daughter going off to war risking their life. but, there are a select few ppl in this world who have the heart, courage, and determination. you can only prepare yourself so much for it too. i've done all the research possible online and by talking to retired and active marines. but no matter what ppl say, i'm sticking to my guns and following thru. i've always wanted to join the military. on my dad's side army and navy run heavily so i will be the first marine in the fam. (i can't tell you how excited and absolutely honored i feel to be able to work to earn that title) anyway, all you can do is follow your dreams, and the rest will fall into place. you can only fail if you don't try. God has a plan for all of us, and whether i live to see tomorrow or not, it's the way it was meant to be. concerning iraq, eventually i'll be called upon to go over there and so will you if you join, but i'm not afraid. like i said, God has a plan for all. whatever your decision is, stick to it and give it your all. do what is in your heart and go for it full steam ahead. if you want to talk more about it, im me on aol at ween143. i leave at the end of may, and as excited and anxious as i am, i'm nervous too. it's a huge decision, but my heart is all in it, and i can't wait. it's going to be hard, but it's also going to fun as hell. you just have to keep the right attitude and be there for your fellow recruits. enjoy it as much as you can. semper fi!

~angie :)

GySgtRet
03-07-06, 05:42 AM
angie,

I glad to see your point of view on this. Very well said indeed. If you wait ans ee what will happen it probably won't.

Radiofantry
03-07-06, 07:59 AM
I am actually in college right now Jusa, and I'm going to join the Reserves. My goal/plan is to transition into OCS after I get my degree and become an Active Duty officer. I know a lot of guys here on campus who are in the Reserves and go to school, and some of them have been to Iraq/Afghanistan, etc.

But it is possible to both be a Marine and attend college, and you even get a little bit of money every month to help out with tuition(I guess around $600 a month total, including your weekend pay). So, it's another option to look into.

jusa145
03-07-06, 08:47 AM
how do the reserves acually work? what do you guys do everyday/week/month. Do you guys get together and PT? what it it like to be a reserve. also do you have to go through bootcamp to be in the reserves?

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 10:10 AM
how do the reserves acually work? what do you guys do everyday/week/month. Do you guys get together and PT? what it it like to be a reserve. also do you have to go through bootcamp to be in the reserves?

I was also interested in some Reserve info. Unfortunately I didn't find any.

But I can tell you they drill one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. Still have to complete the same boot camp.

stiffler2
03-07-06, 11:14 AM
I am doing the same thing thatn you are, frined, and I am trying hard to get through it all. My parents don't want me to do Marines, but I know that when I get back from training, they are gonna be my biggest fans.

You shouldn't worry too much about being sent over. To join the Marines, you have to have an understanding that you may be sent, and then leave it at that. Besides, by the time you are done training, things may be quite different overseas.

Also, you don't serve for a couple of years. You have a minimum of 8 years with 4 being active and 4 being reserve, or any other combo you can think of that is allowed. I got that surprise when I read my contract before I signed, and boy was that shocking. I thought my recruiter was lying to me about other stuff, too, and I thought about getting out for a while so i could think about it a little more.

Radiofantry
03-07-06, 11:45 AM

It's one weekend a month, 2 weeks a year, just like the other Reserve components.

As far as what is done each weekend, I've heard that it really depends on what type of unit you're attached to. Obviously, it's going to differ from a motor pool unit and a recon unit, y'know?

But I've heard that it can vary from NBC training, to drill, to rifle quals, to wargames, etc, etc, etc. They are pretty much trying to cram as much training as possible into a total of 38 days a year(2x12 + 14).

And yes, you go through the same boot camp, school of infantry, and MOS training as people in the active component.