PDA

View Full Version : Marine Reserve?

Brooklyn
03-05-06, 10:46 PM
Last few days I've been wondering about Marines in Reserve. Can anyone tell me, or point me in the right direction to a site that has some info. on the Reserves?

Benefits, enlistment terms, locations of units, etc?

jinelson
03-06-06, 12:21 AM
Have you spoken to a recruiter thats their job and they would have the best information.

jaredeker
03-06-06, 04:56 AM
Most of the same stuff, packed into less time for less money. If you talk to a recruiter about it, have him get in touch with a reserve unit in the area. You should be able to do a walk-through and ask them questions.

lprkn
03-06-06, 09:31 PM
The actual personnel at the reserve unit you plan on joining will be better informed than your average recruiter. I speak from experience.

hrscowboy
03-06-06, 11:56 PM
Whats this?? A weekend warrior give me a break...

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 10:11 AM
Those "weekend warriors" have been serving this country just as well as active forces have. I have nothing but respect for them.

People with your attitude on the other hand...

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 03:07 PM
Brooklyn, you don't know what you're talking about, so try to watch the attitude. Simply put, reservists are often looked down upon by those on active duty-- sometimes for a good reason, other times not. The reserves that have been serving are doing the best they can, and are conducting themselves well. However, to say they have been doing just as well as the active duty people is false. The reserves train for 2 days a month and then 2 weeks a year. It is simply unrealistic to believe that they can achieve the same level of professionalism as the active duty people that train year 'round.

I do happen to know what I am talking about. After leaving active duty I went into the reserve. After several months of training with them we went to CAX for our 2 week training session. It took me all of 5 minutes to understand why people look down on the reserve at times. I was honestly scared for my safety DURING TRAINING. It simply isn't the same, no matter how you try to spin it.

ssgtt32
03-07-06, 03:18 PM
brooklyn, if you want to commit than commit, don't play around!

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 03:24 PM
Brooklyn, you don't know what you're talking about, so try to watch the attitude. Simply put, reservists are often looked down upon by those on active duty-- sometimes for a good reason, other times not. The reserves that have been serving are doing the best they can, and are conducting themselves well. However, to say they have been doing just as well as the active duty people is false. The reserves train for 2 days a month and then 2 weeks a year. It is simply unrealistic to believe that they can achieve the same level of professionalism as the active duty people that train year 'round.
it.

I never said they train the same as active forces. I said they serve just as well as active forces. Plain and simple, they are getting the job done, completing whatever mission they are tasked with and that leads me to believe that they are serving the U.S. just as well as others who are getting the job done.

Watch my attitude? Which attitude is that? The attitude in which I showed that I have respect for people who are willing to die to defend me, or the attitude in which I showed that I don't respect people who don't respect them for their sacrifices--no matter how little the time they spend sacrificing may be.

thedrifter
03-07-06, 03:37 PM
I never said they train the same as active forces. I said they serve just as well as active forces. Plain and simple, they are getting the job done, completing whatever mission they are tasked with and that leads me to believe that they are serving the U.S. just as well as others who are getting the job done.

Watch my attitude? Which attitude is that? The attitude in which I showed that I have respect for people who are willing to die to defend me, or the attitude in which I showed that I don't respect people who don't respect them for their sacrifices--no matter how little the time they spend sacrificing may be.

Someone needs to Keep their mouth shut and their ears and eyes open...;)

Ellie

Brooklyn
03-07-06, 03:40 PM
Forgive me, for I have sinned.

I respect the armed forces, no matter if they spend 20 minutes training, or 20 years. They're all still fighting and some dying for this country.

Now, I shall repent for those sins.

outlaw3179
03-07-06, 03:46 PM
I served 4 1/2 years of active duty with a grunt battalion in the fleet. I left and did 3 1/2 in the reserves. When I first got there the first thing I wanted to do was quit. Reason being the...

ssgtt32
03-07-06, 03:56 PM
outlaw, you are right i feel that i have been duly chastized!

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-07-06, 04:16 PM
Outlaw, I am glad you found a unit to be proud of. There are some out there that are great. I don't want to be taken the wrong way, I like the Reserves, I am thankful for the men and women that serve in this way. However, to say that they serve just as well (like one unnamed individual keeps doing) isn't true. Sure, you can find a company here or a platoon there that can hold their own. However, the fact that you had to mention that your unit did the same missions as an active duty unit stands alone. Clearly, other reserve units were not able to perform the same missions.

outlaw3179
03-07-06, 04:59 PM
I one hundred percent agree with what you guys are saying about not all reserve units being up to snuff. What you said about fearing for your safety ,Ive felt the exact same thing before. The level of training is not there. When I first got there I wanted to quit that next day. NCO's calling each other by their first name, senior Marines telling juniors what to do , and then being gaffed off. I almost lost my mind that first weekend. but it got better , but it wasnt easy . It all depends on the level of proffesionalism and the NCO's educating, and following through. but I do agree that there is difference between active duty and reserves. but now with all the deployments and many many Marines leaving active duty and coming to the reserve side with combat experience the difference is becoming smaller and smaller.

hrscowboy
03-07-06, 08:23 PM
First of all i never said that a reservist was not a marine or that he or she never earned the title. Its there training i question and there respect for the chain of command. as it was said in one of the threads, first name bases with upper NCOs that does not set well at all with me what so ever, I have seen and witnessed reservists killed in battle because they would not listen to what i call a full time Marine because they thought they learned it all 2 days a month and 2 weeks a year. They also got the full time Marine Killed because of there mistakes. I come from the OLD Marine Corps not the New even thou these young men and women are doing a bang up job in this war i still see where the reservist still needs more training..

outlaw3179
03-07-06, 08:46 PM
cool

Cole11
03-08-06, 01:38 AM
I am a reservist gents, and I will say this, as was said before, a MARINE IS A MARINE, they dont treat reservists differently in boot camp, we all earned the Title

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-08-06, 12:13 PM
Come on now, our DI's did treat reservists differently. They were usually treated just a little worse... I think the DI's were jealous;

outlaw3179
03-08-06, 02:30 PM
lol..no reservist did get treated differently .. " Wheres my nasty reservists at!"

Cole11
03-09-06, 02:25 PM
what I am saying is that they werent treated any better, as I said, we ALL earned the Title, they dont have a seperate Eagle Globe and Anchor that they give out to reservists, as I recall on Visitors Thursday, my Drill Instructor, said "Congradulations Marine", nothing else.